Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-01, 12:58
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 232.4/232.4/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question Sugar Free Candies

Hey guys,

Is sugar free candy okay to eat?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-01, 13:21

Plan: PPP
Stats: /////////// Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 18%

Hi Kat

I cooked for an elderly diabetic lady once a week. One day someone made a special trip out of town to buy her sugar-free candies. I thought that was a great possibility for low-carb until I read the label. They were "sugar-free" but the carb count was sky-high! If your candies don't have labels, (i.e. bulk foods) you could ask the store for the information as there will be labels on their bulk packaging. If not, ask for the manufacturer's customer service phone number.

For more information, try reading Doreen's article: http://www.lowcarb.ca/tips/tips006.html especially the section about sugar alcohols at the end, and see if that helps.

You can make sweet treats and store or freeze them for when you want something extra. There are plenty of creative recipes out there. Did you check our recipe section?
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-01, 13:51
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 232.4/232.4/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Candies

Well, the candies I have are 2 carbs for two pieces so I guess that's okay.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-01, 15:14
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Wink maltitol, sorbitol, darnitol

In the US, sugar alcohols do not have to be declared as carbs on the label, but they're in there nonetheless. (In Canada, and the E.U., they are listed as carbs) There's another article that is strictly about Sugar Alcohols and you'll find it by clicking on Low Carb Tips on the menu bar at the top of the page.

Supposedly they are slowly absorbed in the intestine, and thus do not cause a rise in blood sugar. Therefore they may be used by diabetics, if permitted. Dr Bernstein, in his book "Diabetes Solution" reports that in type 1 diabetics these products do in fact cause a rapid measurable rise in blood sugar, especially if consumed on an empty stomach. Protein Power suggests they may be consumed occasionally. Atkins website says they are not permitted during Induction, nor in the early stages of OWL, when you are determining your CCL.

Doreen