Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 13:38

Plan: was Atkins now SB
Stats: 200/197.5/175 Female 5' 10"
BF:42/42/23
Progress: 10%
Angry OMG!!! WARNING with KETOSTIX!!!!!!

MORON Pharmacists!

My Friend just bought Ketostix at the Wal-Mart Phamacy and they gave her an photocopy with some stupid Warning about Atkins diet!!! It says something stupid like ketones are only present in the early stages of these diets and that it causes health problems... blah blah blah...

Who do they think they are!! Idiots!! We have the same Doctor and He's 100% behind us on the Atkins Diet.

At the same time they have just this week started stocking their shelves with Atkins products.

They are not just morons but total Oxymorons!!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 13:42
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 255/255/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 0%

well what exactly do they mean by that! I haven't read the book, I've only skimmed threw some pages, but I have read the website for Induction and part of OWL and the funny thing is I didn't here much about the strips and the purpose of them.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 13:43
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Who authorized the handout?? The company that makes the ketostix? The pharmacist(s)? Walmart?

If the pharmacists or Walmart stores have taken it upon themselves to give out this unsolicited information, it might be worth contacting the company that makes the sticks to advise them that unauthorized information is being presented along with the purchase of their product.

Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 13:46
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

I also wonder if they will hand out these warnings when someone purchases an Atkins bar or canister of the bake mix???

Or are they only targetting the ketostix?

This sounds as though it might be unlawful ... ????

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 13:50

KetoStix are made by bayer if I'm correct.

Maybe I'll give them a holler.

The worst thing is part of the warning says :the new "FAD" in dieting blah blah blah....

I'm so mad, it's from the pharmacist for sure it's a copy of the Sept 2003 pharmacist newsletter...
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 14:01

Plan: Atkins (modified - no red meat)
Stats: 324/244/150 Female 5'6
BF:46.6%?/42/20%
Progress: 46%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Airedales
MORON Pharmacists!
They are not just morons but total Oxymorons!!!!

I would like to take issue with you on this. If the pharmacist is giving out this information, it is most likely due to the manufacturer's insistance or Wal-Mart directive. I know of a Wal-Mart Pharmacy where the Pharmacist was not only VERY supportive of the low-carb WOE, but he had also tried Atkins himself. And I believe that it's Wal-Mart as a corporation - not the Pharmacist - that decides what products to stock.

However, generalizing - and disparaging - Pharmacists as a group for what may not even be the individual pharmacist's choice is not fair.

Last edited by melissasvh : Thu, Sep-25-03 at 22:19.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 14:11

Ok I was harsh on the pharmacist...

This isn't from the manufacturer and since it's a bad photocopy of some Sept 2003 pharmacist newsletter I doubt it's from the corp.

The plot thickens...

I've emailed Bayer Let's see what they say.

Last edited by 2Airedales : Thu, Sep-25-03 at 14:12.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 14:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 278/237.5/200 Male 5'10.5"
BF:
Progress: 52%

its kind of silly they would say Atkins to be the newest fad blah blah blah, because....really, this seems to be the healthiest solution. misinformed people make some poor decisions. it's odd to pass off such a remarkable diet as a fad, shooing people away from the diet that could save their lives.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 14:42

Plan: atkins
Stats: 400/333/250 Male 5'9
BF:49.5
Progress: 45%

Considering our walmarts here have about a 10k inventory of low carb bars, shakes, protienbars, carbolite candys, and russel stovers candies too.
Sounds like crap and I would complain to Walmart. Not the store but above the store
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 14:43

Plan: atkins since 1-21-03
Stats: 210/155/125 Female 5 ft. 3 in.
BF:
Progress: 65%

i think heart drs. and dieticians are panicking because if the truth comes out (that low carb works and works well and is healthy) they will be sued for all the people that died of heartattacks while doing the low fat fad.

think of the implications - the Amer.Heart Assoc., etc. will be branded with a big dunce hat permanently.

seriously folks i truly believe this is where all the ANGER in the media is coming from. look at what is happening in the UK - Atkins is pretty much the devil to them and with no factual basis.

hell i'd be mad too if i was told to eat low fat low protein and high carb for heart health and learned they were wrong the whole time. i'd be suing!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 15:08

Plan: atkins
Stats: 160/143/125 Female 5-6
BF:got/luv/handles
Progress: 49%

Well after you figure out the source of where this letter generated from, you should go to them and request copies of the scientific studies they have conducted that prove that atkins is unhealthy.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 15:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 146/121.5/120 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 94%

I bought my k-stix at Wal-Mart; had to ask the people behind the pharmacy counter for them. Never rec'd anything like that. I bet it's a rogue pharmicist that doesn't believe in Atkins. I would start with a complaint to the store manager and move on up. I can't imagine any other products they sell being treated like this (ie. home pregnancy tests with the danger of pg./m-c/or multiples or condoms with the dangers of HIV infection... you get the picture.). That is ridiculous unsolicited advice and I'd be furious at the assumptions that were made here.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 15:54
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 217/170/155 Female 5/5
BF:
Progress: 76%

Please keep us up to date on this! It makes me soooo mad!
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 15:55
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/lc friendly dietician
Stats: 220/209/140 Female 5'4"
BF:44%/?/20%
Progress: 14%

i cannot believe what i am reading. that is going to cause quite a stir. Bayer is not going to like this.

i also feel the same as jedswife. i hear more and more positive things about low carb eating. it's only a matter of time before the whole low fat world comes down.

btw... my nutritionist is a firm believer in low carb eating. i follow atkins and i also watch out for high glycemic foods as well. and it's working very well.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 15:58

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hmm...I wonder if they are giving that same handout to diabetics who are purchasing those strips as part of their diabetic testing supplies? If so, I'd be surprised if a few people haven't complained about the "assumption" and unsolicited advice already.