Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 19:53

Plan: Atkins/Induction
Stats: 216/204/185 Female 6'2
BF:
Progress:
Default Coffee!!!!!

Okay, I know that caffiene is absolutely positively forbidden on induction...BUT.

I have a 7:30am math class and I HAVE to work the night before my class. I have trouble with math, and I can get through it with a cup of coffee. Especially since I won't be able to get a good night's sleep the night before.

My friend said that her aunt drank coffee on induction and made up for it with extra water. Is that possible? I don't want to drink coffee regularly, just one cup before class so that I can stay awake and alert.

Thus far I've been on about two weeks and have lost 12 pounds. I don't want to kill my work at the diet with the coffee, but I've just got to have the caffeine if I'm to stay awake in class. Will the coffee ruin my weight loss for the day, or would it be do-able to have the coffee and not mess everything up??
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 19:58

Plan: Low Carb Lifestye, Atkins
Stats: 515/474.5/180 Male 71 Inches
BF:Got Some
Progress: 12%

Coffee wont stall you but it can lead to cravings because it can mess with your blood sugar, I dont think one cup of coffee will harm you. I still drink coffee now and then but have started drinking more and more decaf. Drinking more water will help.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 20:02
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Drink the coffee.... better to have a bit of caffeine than be so tired you can't function. Personally, I've found caffeine doesn't cause cravings NEARLY as bad as fatigue....

Where it would be better if we could all kick the caffeine habit altogether, I've made my contribution by cutting WAY down on diet colas...especially since the sweeteners give me grief.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 20:06

BF:
Progress:

I'm not worried so much about the cravings so much as I am about gaining or stunting my loss. Do you think that I'll stall my loss for the day if I have the coffee?
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 20:12

Plan: Low Carb Lifestye, Atkins
Stats: 515/474.5/180 Male 71 Inches
BF:Got Some
Progress: 12%

I think you are safe with the coffee
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 20:49
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I was a several-cup-a-day drinker during induction and the first couple of months...with no problems. In fact, some plans don't even restrict coffee at all.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 07:17

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 328/237.4/182 Female 67 inches
BF:50+%/34%/20%
Progress: 62%

Gosh, I didn't realize coffee was even forbidden during induction! I used to drink up to 15 cups a day and although I knew (or thought I knew) that in the Atkin's book, it suggests you avoid caffeine, I didn't realize i was suppose to not even have any! My point is, I've been on for just under two weeks, have lost over ten pounds, and have still been drinking 4-6 good cups of coffee a day. I wouldn't have been able to go cold turkey on coffee- too many side effects from cafffeine withdrawl! ANyway, I'm happy to see some of the experienced members (I just joined up yesterday) are saying some coffee is okay. My ultimate goal is to soon switch to half and half, then eventually no coffee at all, or no more then three or four cups a day- like a 'normal' person.
Kathy
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 07:38

Plan: DANDR
Stats: 191/153/145 Female 66.5
BF:
Progress: 83%

When Dr A wrote his first plan, no carbs were allowed AT ALL but you had no restriction on caffeine. Dr A later became anti-caffeine, but not necessarily because it affected weight loss. It doesn't for most people. I gave up all but two cups of coffee a day and no longer drink much of anything but water. Coffee wasn't where I got my caffeine kick...it was in the diet soda. Once I was able to break the habit I started drinking a lot more water, which, of course, is much better for you. The amount of coffee you were drinking probably correlated to the amount of coffee and diet soda I took in daily. It kept me going but I didn't ever sleep well. If you cruise through some of the threads, you will see that the caffiene issue is addressed many times. It affects some but doesn't most as far as weight loss goes. How you feel once you have been off for awhile is another thing.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 07:59

Plan: Atkns/CT Weight&Wellness
Stats: 335/272.5/170 Female 5 ft 3 inches
BF:54/51/35
Progress: 38%

It says in the DANDR book that caffein is a diuretic and causes cravings for some people.

Drink the coffee and like you said, a little extra water to re-hydrate and you will not stunt you weight-loss.

Congrats on your weight loss so far! Keep up the good work and good luck in math class
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 08:57

Plan: Atkins-->PP
Stats: 250/211.0/170 Female 5'5"
BF: size 26/22/12
Progress: 49%

so a search on here. you will find a couple of coffee threads. it seems like it is an individual thing. for me, i gave it up for the first couple of weeks, but then added it back in. just love it too much. i drink about a 20 oz mug every morning. and although i am a slow looser, i have lost 50lbs. whatever works for you!!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 09:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 255/187/150 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 65%

Just a reminder that coffee does have some carbs, as do all things that come from plants.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 23:34

BF:
Progress:

Thank you all for your help!

I won't be drinking coffee regularly, because I really should be giving it up. Only for my EARLY math class. For those of you that drink coffee and did during induction, what did you have in it? Would equal or splenda with whipping cream (as opposed to half and half) mess me up? Or should I just take it black?

I'd prefer it with the cream and equal/splenda, but since I really only need the caffeine boost I'd be willing to compromise...
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-03, 04:27

Plan: DANDR
Stats: 191/153/145 Female 66.5
BF:
Progress: 83%

I only use half&half. (There are loads of discussions on this board over the use of half&half, BTW) "H" uses Equal and half&half and both of us have stayed in ketosis and lost weight. Neither of us drink more than four cups a day, and that is rare...the second two cups are on evenings when we know we are going to have a late night and children in the house. As in everything else, everyone has a different experience with it and you just have to see how it affects you personally.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-03, 08:27

Plan: Atkins-->PP
Stats: 250/211.0/170 Female 5'5"
BF: size 26/22/12
Progress: 49%

i put some sf syrup in mine and either half&half or heavy cream whatever i have around. i love the flavored syrups though!!!