Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 02:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/145/132 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 54%
Default Protein shake

Is a protein shake with less than 1 carb per serving okay? Has anyone found that it has stalled them while being on induction.

I find that it help to get me through the day at the office. It is also convenient before my workout in the afternoons.

E-Girl
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 05:42

Plan: atkins
Stats: 231/191/150 Female 5 6
BF:
Progress: 49%
Default Hi E-Girl

Hi EGirl....I had the Atkins ready to use shakes during my induction and I did fine. I think it depends on if the shakes have a lot of sugar alcohols...you may want to skip those. Also, the more fiber in the shake, the slower it will be absorbed into your bloodstream. What kind of protein shake are you using? Also check the label for simple sugars.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 05:47

Plan: atkins
Stats: 400/333/250 Male 5'9
BF:49.5
Progress: 45%

I did not use protein shakes during inductions as they were not on the acceptable list of foods in the atkins book.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 07:26

BF:

Hi Verniebird,
I do not have that information with me. I'm not at home. Will have a look as soon as I can.

Thanks.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 07:44

Plan: Cyclic Ketogenic Diet
Stats: 261/236.5/160 Female 5'7"
BF:--%/--%/--%
Progress: 24%

I've never drank any of the pre-made protein shakes but only because I can easily make them myself. They've never stalled or caused any problems with my weight loss, even during induction. Of course, each person will have a different experience.

The nutritional info on my protein shakes are : 365 calories, 27 fat, 4 carbs and 26 protein.

Very filling and very tasty and easily customizable. I've had one every morning for over four months now.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 07:49

Stats: 250/205/180 Female 69 in
BF:
Progress: 64%

You can have the Atkins shakes on Induction (according to the website)... I have a couple a week (they're so expensive!)... but make a great alternative to hot dogs for breakfast.

I have also tried the EAS shakes and they're also low-fat... which you don't necessarily need on Induction. You WANT the fat. Personally, I think they taste watery compared to Atkins' shakes. I'd stick the higher-fat, Splenda-sweetened shakes from Atkins if you're gonna shake things up.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 09:21

Plan: Atkins- OWL/Pre-M
Stats: 165/144/140 Female 70 inches (5' 10")
BF:30%/19.28%/19%?
Progress: 84%

As was pointed out they aren't on the acceptable foods list for induction.
http://atkins.com/Archive/2001/12/15-464579.html

However induction is only a short 2 weeks and after that you'll be able to add those things to see how they effect you.

I use a high concetrate protein powder. I often do a protein shake in the morning for 2 reasons. First to get my protein percentages up when I don't have meat readily available (I start working out at 4:30AM and am in the office by 6) and to feed my muscles after an intense weight training. I don't drink it before working out but after. I am on OWL now. I didn't use the protein during the 2 week induction period. I had to lower my training during induction to account for the diet changes until after induction when I had a little more variety and my body got used to having less carbs for muscle fuel.

One thing I do with my powder protein is I add heavy cream to up my fat intake.

Why don't you try to do the induction period "By The Book" and give yourself the best start possible?

Good luck to you!
Lori
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 16:55

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 244/227.3/189 Female 6'0"
BF:51%/??/30%
Progress: 30%

E-girl, Dervish is right. You can easily make your own shakes and know exactly what goes into them. I have one every morning for breakfast. Quick, tasty and nutritious!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 17:40
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I used the atkins and Carb Solutions shakes during induction with no ill effects. They are a better choice than the sugar-alcohol laden bars by far!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 05:04

BF:

Thanks for all the advise guys. The reason I enquired was because I'm contemplating doing the induction phase for a little longer (To kick-start the metabolism). After the two week induction period (without protein shakes) I have not lost any weight and am not yet in ketosis.

It is difficult to keep up with making packed lunches suited for induction for work for a lond period of time. Any ideas?

Happy LC'ing