Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 09:25

Plan: My own
Stats: 120/125/95 Female 4'11''
BF:
Progress: -20%
Default yogurt

gotta question- how come everyone here eats full fat yogurt. does it have less carbs than no or low fat? i ask because when i look at the labels, it seems the low/no fat ones have less carbs and i know that low/no fat milk has less carbs than full fat. isn't the lower variety just watered down versions of the full fat?

by the way, is it okay to assume that 1/2 cup of yogurt has 2 carbs?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 10:50

Plan: protein power
Stats: 133/???/112 Female 164cm
BF:size 10/ 8 /(6/4)
Progress: 0%

hey sati
dunno the answer 2 ur question but i always eat low fat bio yoghurt, which is like 3.5 carbs and i know that u lose some of that with it being bio 2 (according 2 the 'Go diet')
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 11:24

Plan: low carb & Atkins
Stats: 318/296/195 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 18%

not sure why anyone here eats yogurt at all. one cup of yogurt has 11g of carbs...
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 15:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205/?/160 Female 66 inches
BF:Who knows?!
Progress: 53%

I read that because yogurt's lactase is already broken down by the acidophilus that the carb count on most yogurt is wrong.. and that half a cup of plain yogurt is something like 1 or 2 carbs really. I read it on a low-carb site, actually.

The reason for the full fat is because the more WHEY in milk, the more sugars.. so no, low-fat milk does NOT have less carbs than whole milk or cream.. and another reason is because the fats in the milk/cream/yogurt can fill you up longer than something that is all whey-based.

Anyhow, that's how I understand it. Anyone else?

btw, I don't eat yogurt anymore, didn't agree with me at all on this eating plan.

Blessings!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 15:35

BF:

try this... http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/cgi-bi...%208%20ouncexyz

this is the USDA (US department of agriculture) database.. click on the link and select 1 cup... you will see that it has 11g of carbs...
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 15:42

Stats: 277/227/170 Female 5'11
BF:37.2
Progress: 47%

Actually, I have pasted a link below to the explanation behind yogurt and why the companies have to list yogurt the way they do.

In saying this, I started eating Blue Bunny's yogurt last week. I started eating it for breakfast since I am OWL. It has been really great. I actually have dropped 5 lbs since eating this for breakfast and sometimes even lunch. The BB Yogurt is really good and comes in all kinds of flavors.

Hope this helps!!

- So Here is the Yogurt Info first!!~~

You Can Buy Blue Bunny Lite 85 Yogurt at Super Walmarts~~If you thought being on a low-carb diet meant you really couldn't have yogurt any more, think again! , Blue Bunny introduced their line of Lite 85 Yogurt –– a delicious little treat that comes in 19 Flavors and is now sweetened exclusively with Splenda ! Before you look at the label that shows a carb count of 14 per serving, check out our article on The Yogurt Exception that explains that while they legally have to list the carbs that way, the truth is these little paks come in at about 4 carb grams per serving. If you doubt it (and I am a doubter so I had to check it myself), I and two other group members put ourselves into a very deep ketosis (no other carbs for the day) and ate three yogurts. We all remained in the same level of ketosis over the next 12 hours. Having succeeded in our experiment, we now feel confident recommending these yogurts because they are just fab!

The problem with the stated carbohydrate content on the packages of fermented food products arises because the government makes manufacturers count the carbohydrates of food "by difference." That means they measure everything else including water and ash and fats and proteins. Then "by difference," they assume everything else is carbohydrate. This works quite well for most foods including milk. However, to make yogurt, buttermilk and kefir, the milk is inoculated with the lactic acid bacteria. These bacteria use up almost all the milk sugar called "lactose" and convert it into lactic acid. It is this lactic acid which curds the milk and gives the taste to the product. Since these bacteria have "eaten" most of the milk sugar by the time you buy it (or make it yourself.) At the time you eat it, how can there be much carbohydrate left? It is the lactic acid which is counted as carbohydrate. Therefore, you can eat up to a half cup of plain yogurt, buttermilk, or kefir and only count 2 grams of carbohydrates (Dr. Goldberg has measured this in his own laboratory.) One cup will contain about 4 grams of carbohydrates. Daily consumption colonizes the intestine with these bacteria to handle small amounts of lactose in yogurt~~~

So Now I will go On to explain why A fat fast does not work for me I have A Dairy Intolerance!!~~yep!!~~Cheese and cream , cream Cheese, Stall me and Makes weight loss slow to Non exitant for me~~ So why doesn't yogurt do that because the Live Cultures has eaten the Lactose!!~~Which then makes Yogurt in reality a Non Dairy type product!!~~

Plus when you Buy the Full Fat Plain Yogurt ~~It fills you up because of the Fats in it!!~~I take a 32 oz carton of Dannon Plain all natural Yogurt and I drain in in a Colander lined with Viva Brand Paper towels some use cheesecloth~~with a bowl under the colander to catch the liquids to toss out in the Fridge for 24 hours!!~I make what you call Yogurt Cheese~~It will yield Approx. 9 to 12 ozs of yogurt Cheese at 160 cals per 8 ozs~~and only 4 carbs Now Compare that to Cream cheese that is 800 calories for 8 ozs~~and 8 carbs Now you can see why a Yogurt fast works~~ You can also use Blue Bunny Lite 85's ~~But they do not keep you has full~~I have eaten has many has 10 Blue Bunny 85's in 1 day for my Yogurt fast and was in very very light ketosis~~But I was Darker using 8~~because My CCl is around 35 at 40 carbs I am usually out of Ketosis~~(That is why I know that they trully are only 4 carbs )~~No way Could I eat between 112 and 140 Carbs and be in ketosis~~

So If you do a Yogurt fast I would recommend that you Mix the 2 Yogurts together~~ 1/2 carton Blue Bunny (4 oz) to 1/2 of The Drained full fat ( Yogurt Cheese) (4 oz)to the Blue Bunny~~Wait Until you taste this Combination!!~~It is a real treat for 120 cals and 4 carbs~~You can eat up to 8 of these a day on a yogurt fast~~Or 8 to 10 Blue Bunny Lite 85's~~Just check your ketosis in the evening because you may have a lower CCL then I do ~~

Now How you can use your Yogurt daily in your Diet ~~ For Breakfast I add 3 or 4 teaspoons of ground Flax to my Yogurt stir let set a minute and eat!!~~I have this many days for breakfast and lunch~~And a low carb dinner~~I use salads and my Homemade Shakes for snacks has I usually have 6 small meals per day!!~~The Yogurt Cheese is great to use to replace mayonaise~~On Salads~~or to use has a cream cheese or like sour cream~~You get all the fat without all the calories!~~Well I wrote you all a Book~~But I gave you I hope enough Info to help you to Maybe Break your Stall or help you with your very slow weightloss!~~And I sure Hope this helps any one with questions about Yogurt!!~~You Can Eat your Yogurt ~~~Hugs~~~your LC Friend
Sandy
PS. I now make my own Yogurt using whole Milk !!~~~

PS I would like to Thank Melissa!!~~Diveinin~~For the Drained Yogurt tip~~Because it sure Taste way better then when I was eating it straight from the carton!!~~ And Please Do Not use the Plain Non fat Yogurt that has cornstarch and fillers and no fat Plus you can not drain it!!~~This Only works I repeat with the Dannon Plain all natural Yogurt sold in 32 oz Containers at Walmart~~You maybe be able to get other brands in your Area!!~~Oh Yes and for those that can not find the Blue Bunny use the Plain Yogurt and Flavor it with your Favorite Flavor of Davinci Syrups~~I am also the Davinci Syrup Queen too!!~~
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 16:52

BF:

the info above is the biggest BS I read on here in a long time..
It is misleading and gives people who follow Atkins the wrong information.

a few points:
- on the issue of measuring carbs "by difference". the author may be right, but specifically in the case of yogurt every gram of carbs is sugar!

- by straining yogurt you are removing mostly water. which make a 8 Oz cup of yogurt into 2 Oz cheese, both still contain 11g of sugar!!

- fermenting milk into yogurt remove so little sugar that it is not even worth talking about. It is like saying that the yeast in bread removes the carbs out of the flour...

Anyway. If you like yogurt, and you feel it does not causes you an insulin reaction, good for you! but please do not mislead others here to think that yogurt is ok on this WOE..
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 19:42

Plan: South Beach 11/8/04
Stats: 235/138/130 Female 5 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

Well I eat the Blue Bunny yogurt all the time. I've lost 120 pounds thus far and have yet to have yogurt stall me or kick me out of ketosis. I count the ones with fruit as 5 carbs the others as 4.
I don't think its BS and yogurt is perfect for maintance and pre-maintance levels of Atkins.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 19:53

Stats: 227/218.5/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 10%

I have avoided yogurt for the past year because I had realized it had caused me to have cravings. I didn't understand why this was until having read Atkins.

I guess it's one of those foods that people have to try to see if they have a reaction to.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 19:57

Stats: 208/205/150 Female 64 IN
BF:
Progress: 5%

I think you're coming on a little strong here Arie....

Many of us eat yogourt regularily (and I'm talking PLAIN, unsweetened yogourt). Yes, the label says 11 g of carbs. However, the lactose in the whole milk is converted into lactic acid - the reason why yogourt tastes tart. LadyBelle can give you a much better explanation than I can

" However, in GO-Diet, Dr. Golberg and Dr. O'Mara explain that in actuality, most of the lactose (milk sugar) in the milk is converted into lactic acid by the bacteria. That is what gives these foods thier sour taste. The lables say "12 grams carbohydrate" largely, they say, because carbohydrate count is determined by "difference." What this means is that the calorie count is determined first. Then the protien and fat fractions are measured, and the number of calories they contribute is calculated. Any calories left over are assumed to come from the carbohydrate."

Besides, even if you ate just half a cup of yogourt a day (6.5 g carbs according to your calculations, Arie) you could just subtract these 6.5 g from your 20 (on induction!!). Yogourt is a healthy whole food and there is plenty of room for it on this WOE- in moderation just like sugar alcohols and Splenda. That's what makes Atkins a WOE and not a DIET!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 20:22

Plan: South Beach 11/8/04
Stats: 235/138/130 Female 5 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcrothb
That's what makes Atkins a WOE and not a DIET!

#12   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 21:55
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Even if the lable says 11 grams, or most say 16g per cup, so what. Many of us here are on OWL and are slowly adding carbs back into our daily lives. 1/2 cup pf yogurt a day for me is much healthier then adding in junk food or franken foods.

I have both yogurt, at least 1/2 cup a day, and kifer which is even lower in carbs. There is a great thread on here, and in the "Go Diet" book which talk about the actual carb count of yogurt. How they derive the number is through actual labratory testing on the pruducts.

For me I count all the carbs. If there is really less, then all the better. Adding yogurt to my diet though adds calcium, benifits good bacteria in the intestines, and tastes great.

As for the low fat vrs high fat. The low fat or non fat are made with skim milk while whole milk yogurt is made with just that. Whole milk yogurt does have slightly less carbs, and goats milk even less. The more important reason many here eat the full fat is Atkins is a high fat diet. He states quite clearly that a low fat version is dangerous and will not result in great weight loss. Plus the whole milk with cream on top just tastes better

I wouldn't try it on induciton, but if you are in OWL, go ahead and try adding 1/2-1 cup of yogurt now and then. Look for a brand that has at least 5 active cultures and no added ingredients. I don't know about blue bunny, though the sweetners and flavors would worry me. Stay away from the Dannon. Good brands include Stoneyfield Farms and Mountain high. Plain unsweetened of course. You can mix with fruit, or I like mixing it with 1 scoop protien shake for a pudding like dish.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 06:42

Stats: 277/227/170 Female 5'11
BF:37.2
Progress: 47%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arie
the info above is the biggest BS I read on here in a long time..
It is misleading and gives people who follow Atkins the wrong information.

a few points:
- on the issue of measuring carbs "by difference". the author may be right, but specifically in the case of yogurt every gram of carbs is sugar!

- by straining yogurt you are removing mostly water. which make a 8 Oz cup of yogurt into 2 Oz cheese, both still contain 11g of sugar!!

- fermenting milk into yogurt remove so little sugar that it is not even worth talking about. It is like saying that the yeast in bread removes the carbs out of the flour...

Anyway. If you like yogurt, and you feel it does not causes you an insulin reaction, good for you! but please do not mislead others here to think that yogurt is ok on this WOE..

I think the biggest BS is for you to come on this board and try to blast someone for deciding to eat yogurt. This does not give the wrong information if you read the article thorough. And trust me, i have been eating yogurt for almost 3 weeks and I can assure you that my insulin reaction is excellent.

Maybe you should try it before you knock it.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 07:04

Stats: 235/180.2/175 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

I read one post quite sometime ago here on this forum by Skamito. I can't find it but it gave some very good info. She called a scientist and confirmed that alot of the carbs were "calories left over and are assumed to come from the carbohydrate." But like Ladybelle I count all the carbs.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 07:55

Stats: 250/205/180 Female 69 in
BF:
Progress: 64%

My doctor suggested eating Greek Yogurt. I have no idea what that is, but she said it's almost completely fat... Anyone had this??