Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-03, 16:55

Plan: 40-30-30
Stats: 205.5/201.5/185 Female 5'5"
BF:48%/47%/20%
Progress: 20%
Default Question re: hypothyroid and induction

Hello -

I am switching over to the Atkins plan.

Quick question -- I've seen it stated that hypos need 50 grams of carbohydrates/day in order to be able to convert T4 to T3.

So, is it appropriate for me to reduce my carbs to the 20 grams/day required for induction, or will that cause my metabolism to crash?

I'm sure right now I'm eating far more than 50 a day, so I know cutting a lot would help. But I would also like to experience the 'fuel-burning switch' that's accomplished with induction.

How have other hypos done with this?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Sep-20-03, 13:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 1745/159.5/124 Female 5'4"
BF:28%
Progress:

Hi: I'm brand new to this post but thought I'd reply to you since no one else did. When I started Atkins, I lost slowly during induction but it was the first time I had lost on any diet so I was thrilled. I felt better than I ever had since being diagnosed a hypothyroid. I lost steadily and ended up 22 pounds lighter. I would say go for it!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Sep-20-03, 15:55
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

WOW, I missed this post. I have never heard that you need 50 g of carbs a day for T3 conversion. My Doctor suggested the Atkins along with the 20 g induction and we kept a really close eye on my thyroid levels. All seemed OK.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 19:05

Stats: 280/235/160 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 38%

I'm still on induction - still at or below 20 carbs daily - still losing happily.

I've noticed no problems whatsoever with the lowered carbs.

Good luck to you!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Dec-05-03, 20:43

Plan: Atkins (started Sunday, N
Stats: 230/212/170 Female 64"
BF:HA-HA-HA
Progress: 30%

I have only been on Atkins for 2 weeks 5 days but I have already lost 14lbs...I would say that is a pretty rapid weight...esp. for someone who couldn't lose 1lb on fat free or low calorie...Well my thyroid is under control as far as I know(I am due for a doctor vist and blood work) and I am 150mcg synthroid and I am losing...I sure hope I don't have to increase up to that amount..well at least not soon I like not having an appetite...Its great eat to live not live to eat..I love it...
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 13:22
Registered Member

Stats: 200/180/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Hi,
I'm another one who lost very slowly during induction. I was also thrilled to lose anything because low-fat diets didn't ever work for me. I never lost a pound, so 7 pounds after two weeks was fantastic! Now after reading the symptom list for hypothyroidism, I find I almost all of them. Funny that nothing showed up on any of the routine thyroid tests my doctor had taken. I never asked for it, because I didn't know very much about thyroid function. Apparently, others have had similar test results with nothing showing abnormal. After 2 weeks the weight came off even more slowly, though I stayed on induction. I'm still losing, so I remain committed to Atkins, but now I'm looking for natural ways to stimulate my thyroid. I worry about taking hormones. There's a lot of good info on this website about coconut oil. I ordered some, but it hasn't arrived yet. I'm hoping it will help. The thought occurred that there might be others like us, who just think they're in a stall, but actually the problem is thyroid.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-04, 19:57

Plan: atkins
Stats: 207/180/175 Male 5'10
BF:
Progress: 84%

Hi Ive had a hypothyroid condition for 15 years, taking levothyroxine. Three days after starting Atkins came home from work very tired, slept for couple hours. The next day and every day since, I have experienced alot more energy. I lost the weight fairly quickly.Todate have lost 27lbs and are responsible for 12 other people low-carbing with great success. Got a check up from my doc after low carbing for 8 weeks, all bloodwork was better. He never mentioned anything about needing more carbs. Good luck