Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 12:16

Plan: Medi Weight Loss Pgm
Stats: 296.0/179.7/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 70%
Default On the Road Again

Hello All....

Well, I have been kinda off Atkins for about 9 months now and have gained about 10 pounds.... I say kinda off because I have been watching the carbs I have been eating and exercising as much as possible.

I had lost about 125 pounds...then mother nature turned her wrath on me and for medical reasons I had to up my carb level so I wouldn't pass out. Now I have been told that I can go back to lowering the carbs, HOWEVER.... don't you just love howevers!!!. .. I need to monitor my blood sugar level to make sure it is not dropping tooooooo low.

So to encourage me to get back off the sugars, flour and other high carb stuff, I am back to the board.

Something tells me that getting back on the Atkin's road is going to be harder than the first time!

Anyone out there who can help???
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 16:40
... Pro-Atkins!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 312/274/220 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 41%
Smile Welcome Back!

I'm not sure if I can help, especially since you are such a veteran of LC weight loss! You’re obviously doing a lot of things right because people tend to pop right back up the scale (and then some) once off this WOE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldypgmr
Now I have been told that I can go back to lowering the carbs, HOWEVER.... don't you just love howevers!!!. .. I need to monitor my blood sugar level to make sure it is not dropping tooooooo low.

I was curious if the standard Atkins approach is really the plan for you right now? If so, maybe doing a ‘reverse’ induction … do the maintenance level carbs first, then walk yourself down into OWL if your blood sugar can handle it? I know induction is supposed to get you into ketosis and stop cravings for some foods, but a lot of people start LCing a whole different way. Liz (Liz175) for example, started eating healthier carbs and cut them down along the way … and she’s lost 90+ pounds!!

Six months ago my fasting sugars were 300+, now they’re 160-ish, but throughout the day, I dip into the 90-100 … and frankly, I hate it. This is normal for most people, but I start the sweating and shaking at ~105. Yuck. It’s going to take more time for my body to get used to this level. So while I'm probably way out of your league, I can empathize. When your blood sugar is out of whack, either too high or too low, it’s a serious drag.

I’m sending you a nice stable blood sugar hug! Hope you’re feeling better soon. You already know you can make it, it’s just getting used to this new bump in the road.

Last edited by AntiM : Mon, Sep-22-03 at 16:42. Reason: forgot the say welcome back!!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 17:15
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Hi Dee,

Nice to see you back. I had been wondering what happened to you. In fact, I just revived one of the old threads you started (Sunshine Moments) last week and was thinking about you when I did it. Your success was an inspiration to me when I started! I'm glad that despite having to up your carbs, most of the weight stayed off.

Monika (AntiM) is right -- I never did induction. I just gradually lowered my carbs until I got to a level I felt comfortable with and that level was somewhat higher than induction. I did give up all sugar, flour, etc., but I never gave up all fruit and nuts. Since you are concerned about your blood sugar going too low, perhaps that is what you should do as well -- gradually drop your carb level while monitoring your blood sugar.

I agree with you -- participating in this board regularly is one of the best things you can do to help keep your eating on track.

Last edited by liz175 : Mon, Sep-22-03 at 17:16.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 21:51

Plan: my own
Stats: 297/159/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%
Default Nice to meet you, Dee

I just wanted to congratulate you on only gaining 10 lbs. in 9 months. You didn't just "let go," but kept working at it. You sound pretty determined, and that's all you really need.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 07:15

Plan: Atkins/W.W.
Stats: 401/299/170 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 44%

welcome back !!! I love the advice that's always here !
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 13:31

Plan: Medi Weight Loss Pgm
Stats: 296.0/179.7/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 70%
Talking Thanks All

Hi Everyone:

It's great being back. I have felt so "naughty" over the last 9 months and am addicted to sugar .... again.

Yes, gaining only 10 pounds is like a miracle to me. My Doctor has been assuring me that I have atlease 20 pounds of water weight on me.... that I will loose soon. Would someone please define "soon" to me?

It is thought that my pain level along with infection and a severe case of endrometriosis caused my blood sugar to bomb. It is belived that my blood sugar is fine, during the day, but goes tooo low at night. Now that the infection and endrometriosis is gone.... isn't surgery wonderful ... My blood sugar should be more stable! Notice the word should.

One of my big worries right now is the estragen replacement therpy that I am on. It makes me hungry. I just keep telling myself that I am full, instead of saying I am hungry. So far I am controlling the eating fairly well.

Backing down the carbs may be the way to go. I will give it a try.

Thanks
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 15:57

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast
Progress: 91%

WOW only 10 pounds in 9 months?!?! I think you have done pretty well then! lol

Perhaps you should eat low carb and not necessarily atkins..dont want to hurt yourself!