Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 05:59

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%
Default atkins and sleep

i'm not sure if this is a coincidence or not, but since being on atkins, i've noticed my sleeping pattern is a bit different. whereas before i could probably force myself to stay awake easily through the night for a long drive. now, a couple hours into a long drive (long being like 5 or 6 hours), say at 11pm, i'd get soooo sleepy that i would have to stop and get an hour of sleep before heading back onto the road. this would happen a couple times on that long drive (only happens at night). that is so weird because i never had to do that before atkins.

during regular nights w/o the long driving, i also find that i get drowsy at around the usual bed time. that is great of course. keeps my sleep schedule on target lol. i also find that my drowsiness is "heavy", almost like i'm being drugged with a sleeping pill lol. i tend to get up very often in the middle of the night to pee (i drink about a gallon of water a day.. water drinking hasn't changed.. i drank this much even before atkins).

i'm not saying all that is a bad thing. just stating how it is with me. i'm just wondering if all that is due to my wol, or is it because i'm just working out much more, thus i'm getting more tired and drowsy? i am fine during the day though.. even if i get say 5-6 hours of sleep the night before, i still find myself very alert and not needing to nap during the day.

have you noticed anything different with your sleeping pattern?

Last edited by serrelind : Mon, Sep-22-03 at 06:00.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 06:00

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 190/190/90 Female 153
BF:
Progress: 0%

im sleeping much better with my daily intake
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 06:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 243/187/145 Female 5'5 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 57%

I too am sleeping much better with this WOL. I could easily go to bed at 10pm every night. Of course I have 2 young children & a full time job...so I think just by the end of the day I'm just exhausted!!!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 06:27

Plan: atkins
Stats: 400/333/250 Male 5'9
BF:49.5
Progress: 45%

When on this way of life I sleep like a baby. But that pesky 3am pee trip is driving me nuts!!!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 06:33
Registered Member

Stats: 192/179/115 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 17%

Actually when I was eating 300+ carbs a day...I couldn't stay awake if my life depended on it. After a high carb meal I could take a 3 hour nap. I have much more energy now and I do have a little trouble sleeping...just not tired!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 06:35

well this is only at night, during my regular "sleep" hours. i'm normally very alert during the day and never need to take naps.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 06:59

Plan: atkins
Stats: 400/333/250 Male 5'9
BF:49.5
Progress: 45%

me too I always would fall asleep every day at 3 if I sat down. On hits wol I am awake all day

Last edited by ian559 : Mon, Sep-22-03 at 07:00.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 04:06

BF:

i felt bloated on a normal meal of carbs i now feel less bloated and more alert and more active.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 04:33
Too kinky for you

Stats: 265/246/187 Male 176 cm
BF:xxx/27.2/20
Progress: 24%

I also sleep a lot better. I have stopped drinking so much water after about 7pm (I have a drink with dinner and then after that I don't have anything, except perhaps a glass before I go to bed). I find this has cut down on the 3am pee trips But I get a 6:45am or 7am pee-wakeupcall instead, which is quite convenient actually

I do find now that when I feel tired, it hits hard - like I'm "really" tired instead of perhaps just "feeling" tired. Same with hunger - when I feel hungry, I NEED food (and need it NOW), not like before when I was just "craving" food. This WOL seems to get you more in touch with your body's needs - it's fantastic!

Steven
ps Gemma - I'm not going to mention "Other" cravings here....
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 04:38

BF:

tHE ONLY THINK THAT WAKES ME UP IS KEEP GOING TO THE LOO
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 04:53

Plan: aitkens
Stats: 216/177/150 Female 5feet5inches
BF:
Progress: 59%

Yes guys I feel the same way.Before LC I use to have a nap everyday if I could and now I try to lay down but I can't get to sleep, too much energy.I sleep very well and before I use to sleep for a few hours and then wake up and couldn't get back to sleep.Since I am a woman the nightly pee break is natural to me and not a prob as I go right back to sleep.Ain't it great
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 04:54

BF:
Default no energy

i have lost my friend energy can anyone tell me how to find him
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 04:59

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast
Progress: 91%

Quote:
Originally Posted by serrelind
i also find that my drowsiness is "heavy", almost like i'm being drugged with a sleeping pill lol. i tend to get up very often in the middle of the night to pee
I have been thikning this a LOT lately!!! I sleep more sound then I ever have for as long as I can remember. I tend to either wake up way to ealry like 5am and rarin to go or I have a hard time dragging ym butt out of bed and waking my body up if I go back to sleep at 5... I am going to bed by 10pm..which I dont like doing but I cant stay awake any longer! geeesh!

I really feel exactly like that quote though! I sure wonder why food would cause that?

During the day though typically I am more awake and alert than ever before....I feel like superwoman...lol

Last edited by Wenzday : Wed, Sep-24-03 at 05:02.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 05:57

Quote:
I do find now that when I feel tired, it hits hard - like I'm "really" tired instead of perhaps just "feeling" tired. Same with hunger - when I feel hungry, I NEED food (and need it NOW), not like before when I was just "craving" food. This WOL seems to get you more in touch with your body's needs - it's fantastic!

sinbad, that's exactly what i feel too! when i'm tired or sleepy i am really REALLY tired and sleepy and i must sleep NOW!
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 07:04
Alan Rickman Addict

Stats: 220/139/155 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 125%

Quote:
Originally Posted by serrelind
have you noticed anything different with your sleeping pattern?

Unless I've eaten something high carb I can't sleep more than a few of hours. Maybe sleep 2 and then I'm wide awake for a couple and then I can sleep a couple more. It's weird to have energy LOL