Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 01:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 257.4/224.6/150. Female 5'5"
BF:51.5/44.0/23
Progress: 31%
Smile Let me introduce myself

Hey everyone!!

I'm not sure if this is what I'm supposed to do to introduce myself or not, but I guess it will have to do. My name is Tara and I am a stay at home mom. I have had trouble with my weight since I was a junior in high school. I did a lot of bouncing around I'd gain weight and then I'd manage to get it back off and I did this until I met and fell in love with my husband and then it just started creeping on, (that was 11 years ago). I have been working on losing weight (weight-watchers, jenny craig, phen-fen, just plain phentermine, the Zone, etc.) since 1996 (taking some time out to have 2 beautiful babies) without much success. In March 2003, I weighed 257.4 lbs. I was done having babies and decided to go back to my DR. She started me on Meridia, and 1200 calories a day,(I have never been able to count calories effectively). My brother started doing Atkins the end of March and lost 30 lbs in 2 months. So after much convincing on his part and since since I'd only lost 5 lbs at this point, I started doing Atkins July 31,2003.

I have lost a total of 15 lbs (more if you count the yo-yoing I've been doing for the last few weeks.) The first few weeks went great and then my husband left home to go help fight our forest fires, (we had an awful summer here in Montana) and we found out that my dad has prostate cancer. I am most definately a Daddy's girl and this hit me like a ton of bricks. But we have all had some time to adjust and are all very hopeful that he will kick butt and be just fine. So mid-August to mid-September were not good for me and I just got focused again this last week. I did have a little slip up tonight, but I am starting fresh tomorrow, and hopefully will get right back on track.

I guess the main reason I'm doing this is to feel better about myself. I'm sick of feeling so bad about the way I look. I also have a 5 year old and a 20 month old and I don't want them to be embarassed about having an overweight mommy. My husband is wonderful and has never made me feel bad about the weight I've put on in the last 9-10 years. I also cannot wait to go shopping in any store and be able to fit into their clothes.

I know that I need to get back into the gym at least 3 days a week, but until my daughter will let me leave her at preschool, a 40 minute walk, or my tae-bo tape 5 days a week will have to do. (I just started up again last week).

So anyway, I feel like I have totally rambled on and shoved 12 years into a very small space but there it is and I hope it makes sense enough to read.

I am so very anxious to get to know everyone, and learn your tricks and strategies and to also give any support that I can. I am really hoping to look wonderful by next summer. I am in my nieces wedding, and I'm sick of being the overweight bridesmaid.

Your friend,

Tara

Last edited by MTMOMMY : Mon, Sep-22-03 at 01:13.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 01:25

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%

Hi Tara

Welcome to the triple digits club. A great place to come for support for those with over a 100 pounds to lose.

This way of life certainly works, although after a time you may have to work harder at it. Congratulations on your weight loss so far.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 03:54

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast
Progress: 91%

WELCOME! Looks like you are doing great so far . It's great that you took the initiative to come here because I think now you'll have an easier time staying on track!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 04:33

Stats: 305/260/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 36%

Hi Tara,

Welcome!! Everyone here is ultra nice and very supportive!

I agree with Wenzday - having support really does help one to stay on track! Congratulations on your loss so far! Keep up the good work!!

~Jaya
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 04:35
90 Days at a Time

Plan: Glycemic Load
Stats: 426/405.2/326 Male 74 in.
BF:
Progress: 21%

Welcome! This is the place to learn the do's and don'ts of weight loss/health gain. Follow the losers! Learn from the rest. You'll do great!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 05:36

Stats: 274/190/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 68%

Tara! Welcome and ME TOO! Been there done that. . .except. . .three kids. redawn
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 05:55

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 333/199.8/172 Female 5'8"
BF:??/39.0/25
Progress: 83%

Weclome Tara! Glad to have you join us. We have quite a journey ahead of us and it's wonderful to have this group as our traveling companions! I wish you continued success on your weight loss.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 12:19
Contributing Member

Stats: 345/304/240 Male 5'9
BF:20.72 %
Progress: 39%

Hi Tara, you've come to the right place. Get used to positive support on this forum. We're on your side!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 12:42
Registered Member

Stats: 320/267/135 Female 62
BF:48%/47.70%/?%
Progress: 29%

Welcome to the group!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 15:58
... Pro-Atkins!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 312/274/220 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 41%
Smile Hi Tara!

Welcome to the TDC!

As others have said, this is a great place. I've learned so much and received a lot of support - both instrumental in changing the whole way I'm eating.

I'm sorry to hear that your dad is dealing with cancer - I know that's tough. I hope he 'kicks butt', too!

There are people in this forum who for sure know more than me, but this is one piece of information I wish I'd had when I started out ... I'll pass it on, but remember 'YMMV' - your mileage may vary!

There is a lot of chatter in the media, etc. that with Atkins you will lose a lot of weight very quickly. That is true for many people, but certainly not all.

For one, men and women lose weight at different rates. You may not be have the same results as your brother as time goes by. Women 30+ or with a history of yo-yo diets tend to lose slower. If this becomes true for you, don't despair. Many women who didn't drop weight like bowling balls tossed off the Empire State Building are the ones with best chances to keep the weight off (and keep more skin tone, too). There are so many inspirational stories here where people have lost huge amounts of weight by sticking with it. What's that saying ... 'slow and steady wins the race'? I suspect it's not even about the rate of weight loss, just the long-term commitment to make this a WOL 'way of life' - not a short term diet.

I hope you do lose quickly - all of us would like to - but if you don't, it definitely doesn't mean you won't reach your goal. It just might take a little longer.

Best of luck to you, Tara!

PS ... All firefighters are heroes, but tackling a forest fire is an extra challenge. I'm thankful for all people who choose this profession - and the people who support them!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 16:08
Arizona 215 lb Loser

Plan: Suzanne Somers
Stats: 327/315/190 Male 5 ft 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTMOMMY
She started me on Meridia, and 1200 calories a day,(I have never been able to count calories effectively).

Hi Tara, and welcome to the club!! Glad to see you here! But what you said there about counting calories really got me. I NEVER tried dieting because I just couldn't stand the thought of having to count calories. It just seem so imprecise and impossible to do accurately, and worse, I hated that my doctor wanted to see a complete list of everything I shoved down my mouth! Ugh! Yuck!

Anyway, that's why I really liked the Suzanne Somers plan, no counting anything! Even carbs! Ha, I can handle a plan like that!

I think you'll do great this time around. Atkins (and related plans) are wonderful ways of life!

Dean in Arizona
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 19:34
Contributing Member

Stats: 360/353/160 Female 66.5 in
BF:don't have a clue!
Progress: 4%

Welcome to the group Tara!
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 19:13

Stats: 257.4/224.6/150. Female 5'5"
BF:51.5/44.0/23
Progress: 31%

Hey everyone,

I just want to say thank you all so much for the warm welcome. It's so wonderful to feel so supported and understood. I can't wait to get to know all of you on our journey. My son is screaming, so I've got to go for now, but thanks again and I'll talk to you again soon.

Tara