Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Sep-20-03, 13:07

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%
Default Does sugar alcohol kick you out of ketosis?

How does sugar alcohol affect your ketosis state?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Sep-20-03, 13:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/190/150 Male 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%

It doesn't effect my ketosis.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Sep-20-03, 15:48

Stats: 185/170.5/145 Female 63in
BF:39%/34.7%/24%
Progress: 36%

i think (and others may correct me if i'm wrong) that sugar alcohol is like regular alcohol in that even though it doesn't prevent weight loss, it slows it, because while it is available in your body, your body will burn it for fuel instead of your fat stores. but don't take that as gospel (its not as if i'm Nat or something! *wink*)
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Sep-20-03, 20:49
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

YMMV.. it's not SUPPOSED to, but it depends on how many of the carbs are absorbed by your body. There's much debate on how many grams are supposed to "count" although Atkins says they don't, some say half, depending on the type...

For some unfortunate souls, they seem to act just LIKE sugar...so there is no real answer other than yes/no/maybe!!!!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Sep-20-03, 21:35

Plan: atkins
Stats: 400/333/250 Male 5'9
BF:49.5
Progress: 45%

My body treats them just as if I poured in sugar. If I eat a chocolate bar say bye bye to ketosis. I know I am not the only one. I sure wish I could have it but I just find other things instead
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Sep-20-03, 21:39

the reason i asked is cuz after downing a 22oz diet pepsi slurpee, i checked for ketosis and there was none on my stick. not sure if that's due to the slurpee or to the water i drink. we'll see tomorrow morning. if i'm not in ketosis tomorrow morning then i'm staying away from that evil diet pepsi slurpee
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Sep-21-03, 04:08

Stats: 311/216/185 Male 5" 9'
BF:
Progress: 75%

To put it simply, No Sugar Alcohol's will not through you out of ketosis. The only thing that will knock you out of ketosis is if you take in too many carbs. And that level is different from person to person.
Unfortunately there is a lot of opinions, caused by fear and paranoia that gets passed around these boards as fact. Sometimes you just have to do a little research to separate fact from hype. Sugar Alcohol's are a perfect example.
Sorry Paradox but Sugar Alcohol's are not like regular alcohol at all. Sugar Alcohols are not burned by the body at all. It would be better to think of them as you do fiber. They have virtually no effect on blood sugar. They are simply passed out the body as waste. All though a lot of people worry about them and think that they my act like regular sugar they do not. Think about it logically. They are used in candy made for diabetic people. If there was even 1 % of the population that they acted like regular sugar in they could not sell them as diabetic candy.
I have read a ton of scientific data on Sugar Alcohol's and they all say the same thing. No effect on blood sugar.
I really think peoples fear of Sugar Alcohol's come from the old saying that if is sounds too good to be true.. it is. But there is that trade off, great taste vs laxative effect.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Sep-21-03, 04:46

Thanks, Gimmpy. Maybe sugar alcohol ain't so bad after all, other than the fact that it gives me the normal "bad" reaction after eating it

checked for ketosis this morning. moderate ketosis. yay!!!
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Sep-21-03, 06:24
CAD for life

Plan: Atkins/CAD
Stats: 193/163.5/125 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 43%

There was a thread a few months back about Crystal light slurrpees purchased at 7-11 and although it was surgar free the carb count was way higher than you would expect. I can't remember the exact count.

but I did find a thread that quoted the nutritional info on diet pepsi slurpee and it said 2g sugar and 2 grams carbohydrate per 8ounce serving so I am unsure if that means 2 total carbs or 4 per 8ounces but That would mean that it has either 5.5 or 11 carbs in the 22 ounce slurppe you had so maybe thats why you went out of ketosis maybe just a few more carbs than you usually have?

Last edited by BeccaResRN : Sun, Sep-21-03 at 06:29.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Sep-21-03, 06:27

Plan: Smart Carbs!
Stats: 163/133/125 Female 5"5
BF:
Progress: 79%

This thread is very interesting as I downed an Endulge PB cup and also and whole Atkin's bar (mocha) yesterday...I worried about the carbs but thought the net carbs were way under for me....No more chocolate for awhile...
Jess
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Sep-21-03, 08:10

Plan: atkins
Stats: 400/333/250 Male 5'9
BF:49.5
Progress: 45%

Gimmpy,
Well you can say it dont effect it but it does me pure and simple. I am not speading rumors but what it does to my ketosis. When I lost all my weight last time it did the same thing. I dont know about the blood levels as I am not diabetic. I am talking it stalls me, so I stay away
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Sep-21-03, 08:16

becca, i didn't realize there are some carbs in the diet pepsi slurpee. thought it was 0 carbs, and the rest is just sugar alcohols. maybe that's what happened.. ate a few too many carbs and that kicked me out of ketosis. but because i didn't eat too much, i got back into ketosis this morning? (accelerated by the fact i ran for 6 miles last night)
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Sep-21-03, 08:31
Registered Member

Stats: 200/176/176 Male 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimmpy
To put it simply, No Sugar Alcohol's will not through you out of ketosis.

This is not what I have noticed. I have actually been testing this since the start of my diet.

What I heared and agree with is that they don't cause a sudden spike in your blood sugar, so they don't cause craving like breads do, but they still cause your blood sugar to go up steadily. Whatever throws you out of ketosis is the actual amount of blood sugar not how fast it changes.

Fortunately, they don't get absorbed 100%. The absorbtion rate is not the same for all of them. I have noticed that Erythritol and inulin are the only two types which seem to have minimum effect on my ketosis state. Later I read that the absorbtion rate of Erythritol is about 5% while the absorbtion rates of sorbitol, mannitol and maltitol are above 50%. This explained it.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Sep-21-03, 09:00

Stats: 170/164/140 Female 5"8"
BF:
Progress: 20%

I was having major stalls while enjoying sugar alcohol filled candy
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Sep-21-03, 09:00

Stats: 170/164/140 Female 5"8"
BF: