Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-03, 16:32
... Pro-Atkins!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 312/274/220 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 41%
Question Visualization

Do you ‘visualize’ yourself at your ideal weight? Do you feel like it helps?

I have noticed my highway driving skills are much better when I keep my eyes focused far ahead, not the 50 yards or so where I’ll be in a few seconds. If I try to ‘micro manage’ my driving, I’m not making my turns as smoothly or staying precisely in the center of my lane, for example.

I’ve been thinking that I might need to take that approach with my weight loss journey. While small goals are necessary (the idea of losing 110 lbs is completely overwhelming), I’d like my mind’s eye to focus on where I’m heading rather than where I am. In a way, I think of it as getting my brain to help my body arrive at a destination.

Many of you have been slender at some time in your life; you know what your body felt and looked like at a certain weight. Is that image in your mind when you see yourself at your goal?

My personal dilemma is that (as of today!) I now weigh less than my high school graduation. I’ve never been even close to normal weight. Anyone else out there with a similar history that uses visualization?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-03, 18:57
Medival Princess

Plan: curves
Stats: 298/214/190 Female 6 ft or 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

I don't visualize myself thin to keep myself going forward but I have some idea what I *think* I will look like.. as i am smaller then I have ever been as far as I can remember(i wore size 20w when i was 13... i am in a 14w-16w now)
but then again who knows I might look better :P

Crysania
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 07:10

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast
Progress: 91%

ABSOLUTELY! I've never ever been below Plus sizes either.... but since I've started this WOL I absolutely believe I will not only get to normal sizes but to see single digit sizes as well! I can see myself as I was emant to be.... its amazing and I reach for it non stop! If I want to cheat I thikn about it and I stop myself. I am a fat burning machine...Its my mental picture...I visualize the fat melting away even when I sleep.... its working REALLY well this week... a ton of water helps too!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 07:12

Wow crysania! You are 6 feet tall?! Here I was thikning how in the world can she wear a 14-16?! lol Now I see said the blind man! good for you!!!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 09:17
Medival Princess

BF:

my mother calls me her amazon.. i am one inch shorter then my dad :P I shot up to nearly 6' by the time i was 13-14ish talk about feeling akward in school! (well until i did homeschool :P )
finding clothes and shoes is a pain and will probably always be a little

Crysania
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 09:21

Plan: Atkins/W.W.
Stats: 401/299/170 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 44%

According to Dr. Phil it is crucial that we do visualization....I'm trying to make a habit of it everyday..It's been years since I've even been close to a "normal" size...
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 09:55

Plan: Atkns/CT Weight&Wellness
Stats: 335/272.5/170 Female 5 ft 3 inches
BF:54/51/35
Progress: 38%

I just started the visualizing thing. I moved offices and in the move I found a picture of me and a friend when I was at my most comfortable weight. It almost looks like another person, my face looks completely different.

I pinned it up in a spot I can see and keep visualizing that I am making progress to be that face again!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 10:23
... Pro-Atkins!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 312/274/220 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 41%

Sounds like the consensus thus far is YES! I’m going to start working on a image of my destination … it may not look like where I end up, but at least I’ll have an idea of where I want to go. Maybe I’ll start another thread about how we’d look and feel at our goal weight when I figure out what that is to me?

Lilly ~ It’s great that you have a clear picture of what you could look like again! May not be how you've thought of it, maybe noticing how much you've changed, but you do have a clear destination in mind.

Tulips ~ I have a love/hate relationship with Dr. Phil. Have you been watching his diet challenge series? I haven’t caught any programs this season, but I’m interested in his take on the psychological aspects of weight loss.

Jessie ~ I love the idea of melting fat as you sleep! And it’s interesting that you feel it has improved your weight loss. I remember hearing years ago that athletes who visualize a good performance did as well, if not better, than athletes who spent an equal amount of time physically practicing. That’s pretty powerful stuff!

Hey Crysania, I’m 6’ tall, too, and reached my full height at 14. Did a lot of people assume you were much older at the time? Adults often thought I was a teacher rather than a student. The good news is that I look a little younger than my peers, now. I was imagining I’d be a size 18-20 at my goal weight of 190 (just like you!) - but I‘m going to have to reassess that a little if you‘re at 14-16 at 250. Right now, I wear a 26-28, however, since I’m 17 years older than you, I’m sure I’ll fill a larger size at our goal. What size did you wear at your highest weight?

Thanks for responding to this thread, everyone!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 11:33

Plan: Atkins/W.W.
Stats: 401/299/170 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 44%

I take the info from Dr. Phil that I feel will benefit me...I do not think he's always 100% right especially with weight issues..I did buy his new book..I do like his approach though...sugar coating everything will not help...I want to "get real!!!" with me weight...lol
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 11:52
Medival Princess

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiM
Hey Crysania, I’m 6’ tall, too, and reached my full height at 14. Did a lot of people assume you were much older at the time? Adults often thought I was a teacher rather than a student. The good news is that I look a little younger than my peers, now. I was imagining I’d be a size 18-20 at my goal weight of 190 (just like you!) - but I‘m going to have to reassess that a little if you‘re at 14-16 at 250. Right now, I wear a 26-28, however, since I’m 17 years older than you, I’m sure I’ll fill a larger size at our goal. What size did you wear at your highest weight?

I actully was only in public school up til 5th grade but was like a foot taller then even most of the boys in the class .. it was kinda akward being able to look nearly all the teachers in the eye lol .. i don't know how my classmates reacted to it cause i don't think i ever talked to them. i normally read in my free time and stayed as far away from them as possible (i felt they were all way to immature) though when i was 15 i went into clubs when they had conserts and didn't get carded ever i was told i looked about 25 by people. now i get told i look about 20 (which i am close) :P

there is a differance between an 18 in ladies and a 18 in womens clothes. I can fit into some 18's in ladies now, my problems still are hips and shoulder width. my goal size is going to be a ladies 14-16. if i can fit in a smaller size all the better i supose but i am not gonna cry cause i am not a size 6 i was a size 20-22W when i was at 298, I asume I carried my weight well (least that is what i have been told)
though it is strange the places I see to be loosing off the most lol (the shape of my shoulders are becoming more defined, my fingers have droped a ring size, my arms are narrower and i wear braclets i have never been able to wear... ect)

Crysania

Last edited by crysania : Fri, Sep-19-03 at 11:55.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 13:59
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins / Low sodium
Stats: 322.5/275/125 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 24%

Hi Monika!!

I have not ever been really small (and healthy) in my entire adult life, so I don't have a specific image. And even if I was smaller when I was 15-17, the early 90's were BAD fasion-wise for me, LOL! Polka dots (ala Madonna) Dark black eyeliner, and tights with a business jacket, or a short skirt (with knobby knees) and a polka-dot bra top and leather jacket!! LOL!!!

I do have an idea what I will look like because of my figure. I will be busty, with a narrow waist, as it is only a 38 right now, at 242 pounds, and larger hips. An hourglass. I can't wait!

Diana
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 18:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 255/187/150 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 65%

Although I have weighed from 117 (for 2 seconds) up to 255, I have always felt like the same person inside, and that person was plump! At 117 I dated someone new who said I'd be perfect if I lost 15 pounds (I'm 5'0)--and it's true, even at that weight, at age 20, I had belly fat.

Maybe I will try visualization. I said my continuing self is plump, notice, not fat. I am usually quite surprised at my reflection or a photo, even though I've been over 200 pounds for ten years. The last time I was "thinish" I was also 15 years younger.

What happened to junior sizes. In the olden days I thought of wearing an 11 or 13, but my daughter and her friends talk of 2, 4, 6 (no one would admit to larger than 6).
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 19:17

Plan: M&E's
Stats: 310/241/180 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:Lord have mercy!
Progress: 53%

I've been overweight for so long, (well actually I don't think there was a time that I wasn't, unless you count 5 & 6 years old..) anyhow.. I have been overweight for so long, I can't even imagine how I would look if I actually lost my weight. I have tried to imagine, but I can't get anything into view.. I guess that maybe losing weight has been something that I never could picture happening because I have tried so many times and so many ways without ever having any success, so therefore I can't even imagine what I would look like 150 pounds lighter. That would have 1/2 of me!
Wowsers!

BTW.. you guys look great! Keep up the good work! I'm only on day 3 of induction doing Atkins, and am finding lots of support here! I believe this time is really IT!
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 19:33

Quote:
though it is strange the places I see to be loosing off the most lol (the shape of my shoulders are becoming more defined, my fingers have droped a ring size, my arms are narrower and i wear braclets i have never been able to wear... ect)

ME TOO EXACTLY!!! ditto to the letter!
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 20:34

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 333/199.8/172 Female 5'8"
BF:??/39.0/25
Progress: 83%

The only visualization I've been doing is seeing that scale go down, LOL! I was also large at an early age. I can remember being the tallest in class in elementary school and always being in the back row for picture line ups. I'm 5'8", which doesn't seem so tall these days. Back in high school (graduated in '74) I thought of myself as fat, but when I look at those pictures now, I look pretty darn good. So maybe what I should do is pull that picture out, scan it in on the computer and somehow figure out how to age progress it. Boy, wouldn't that be motivational!