Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 16:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205/197/125 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 10%
Question Can you be in Ketosis and not lose weight?

Hi I am new to this site and am new to the atkins diet. I am on the 14 induction right now and I have used the keto stix which show I am in ketosis. I have been following the diet. Yet the scale doesn't budge I don't understand why the scale is not moving when I feel thinner and also the keto stick are in the dark purple. The scale I have is a piece of junk so I am trying to determine if it's the scale or if I am really not losing at all? Today is my 6th day and I thought I was losing a lb. a day but now it says I am right back where I started which doesn't make sense to me. Could I be gaining weight even though I am ketosis or is my scale just messed up. Help!!!!

Thanks,
Vicki
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 16:33
Phoenixa

Stats: 164/136.6/132 Female 172/5'8
BF:Yes.
Progress: 86%

Hi Vicki!
You're probably going to get some really initiated expert answers soon, but I just wanted to say, don't worry. If you do feel thinner, you probably are thinner. Your body is readjusting to your new WOE and what changes you don't see on the scale yet might show up in your measures instead. That is very common. (Did you take your measures before you started induction?) I didn't think I'd lost a bit for a week and then, after measuring, I'd actually "shrunk" 2 inches. Make it routine to measure yourself once a week (upper arm, chest, waist, hips, thigh, calf) and keep a book. Much more fun than struggling with a stupid malfunctioning scale.

Also, the fluctuations in weight over the days are most probably water. All of a sudden you will experience a "whoosh" where you wake up one morning, 2-5lbs lighter than the evening before.

Best of luck!
/gilibel
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 20:42
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

The dark purple can also be a sign you're not drinking enough water. You need a LOT of water to flush the system and keep everything running!

Go up to the orange bar at the top of the page, click on Low Carb Tips..you'll find an article about the ketone strips that is pretty good.

Inches lost are just as important as pounds. I agree that if you feel thinner, you're likely losing fat.

Stick to it, and I don't doubt the scale will learn to cooperate soon!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 22:48

Plan: low carb & Atkins
Stats: 318/296/195 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 18%

to answer your question: Yes you can be in ketosis and not lose weight...
If you eat more then enough calories in the form of fat, you will be in ketosis. And although it is very hard to do, you can actually GAIN weight while in ketosis...

Ketons are an indication that your body is using fat for energy, which means that you are not eating carbs.. This can be fat you eat and/or your body fat..
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Sep-20-03, 07:52

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

And if you don't drink enough water, your body will not be able to get rid of the byproducts of burning fat efficiently.

Drinking water decreases bloat or water retention and helps the body function efficiently.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Sep-20-03, 08:19
Carb Nazi

Stats: 260/255/160 Male 6'0
BF:YES!
Progress: 5%

Vicki: Atkins says that your waistline is a better indication of weight loss and is really a precursor to the loss on the scale. I have noticed this. It seems like I notice my clothes first, and a few days later, the scale reflects the loss.
You are only on day 6. Try to concentrate on your progress in weekly or monthly time tables rather than daily. The daily fluctuation of weight will drive you crazy! Get a decent scale too. It may be fine, but if you don't trust the results on there then it won't be a useful tool. Good luck! Mad