Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 07:30

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%
Smile Caffeine vs No-Caffeine

In a nutshell can someone explain to me why caffeine affects some people but not others?

I drink regular coffee - appx. 16 oz a day. I experimented in the past where I drank decaff (blech) only for a few weeks to see if weight loss would get faster/better. I saw no changes. During this time I did not "cheat" and pretty much ate the same things.

yet others, swear up and down that once they stopped caffeine they started to lose better.

Can some of us just be immune to caffeine or is it the amount that can be the problem?? Another thing is that caffeine is "hidden" in many things...many herbal diet remedies, vitamin formulas, pain relievers, etc... so for those that are caffeine sensitive....they should not take any of the other caffeine-containing products as well.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 07:43

Plan: atkins
Stats: 400/333/250 Male 5'9
BF:49.5
Progress: 45%

I am a caffiene junky. I drink a pot of coffee black every morning. Then I drink plain unsweetened ice tea all day. I can drink coffee 15 mins before bed and sleep like a baby. I gave up my smoke 10 years ago, I am trying to loose my fat now. I cant get rid of caffiene at the same time. I seem to still be loosing just great. It can cause more cravings for other things, its a stimulant, its causes water loss.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 07:50

BF:

Ian, I had to lessen my caffeine - - I too was a caffeine junky...drinking a pot of coffee each morning. For me it wasn't so much the weight loss issue but the fact that I became jittery once the weight started to fall plus my blood pressure was high. Curtailing my caffeine allowed my blood pressure to lower, along with the weight loss.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 07:55

I would hate to loose my coffee. I truly love it. I hate decaff too. I still have my coffee custom roasted for me to use for my business. I guess we all have a vice and coffee would be mine
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 08:08

After these post I went and dug out the Good Book (No not the bible the atkins book)
It says
"Stay out of the java jungle. Excessive caffeine has been shown to cause hypoglycemic reaction, which will provoke craving and cause you to over eat."
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 08:08

Plan: Atkins (modified - no red meat)
Stats: 324/244/150 Female 5'6
BF:46.6%?/42/20%
Progress: 46%

The reason that caffeine is to be avoided is that, for a lot of people, it can lead to hunger and cravings. Caffeine is also a mild diuretic, a cardiac stimulant and can reduce fine motor coordination.

Caffeine is, perhaps, the most widely-used (and abused) addictive drug in the world. In the body, it works similarly (although more mildly) to amphetamines, cocaine and heroin in stimulating the brain. Caffeine increases neuron firing in the brain, causing dopamine and adrenaline to be released. The adrenaline release causes the following:
* Your pupils dilate.
* Your breathing tubes open up.
* Your heart beats faster.
* Blood pressure rises.
* Blood flow to the stomach slows.
* The liver releases sugar into the bloodstream for extra energy.
* Muscles tighten up, ready for action.

There have also been studies that caffeine may contribute to insulin resistance. Additionally, caffeine has a half life in the human body of six hours. Worst of all, caffeine addicts - like any other addict - can build up a resistance to it, requiring them to consume more and more.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 09:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/167/135 Female 5'4"
BF:more than I need!
Progress: 36%

Ian, I too am a coffee junkie, and havent given up my cigarettes yet. (But plan to try again once I get a bit closer to goal) Part of my decision to make this WOE a WOL was to be healthier. Sure, weight loss is a great motivation, but its really much more than that.

Anyhow, One of the decisions I made was to give up caffiene. I knew this was going to be a killer for me, so Im doing it slowly, and it really isnt a painful process. First thing I did was cut back everything except my morning coffee. One glass of iced tea in the afternoon instead of 3.

Then I found a decaf coffee I REALLY like. This can take a bit of hunting, but its worth it. Week one, I didnt change the coffee. Week two I used 1 scoop of decaf and 4 of regular. ( I use 5 scoops to 8 cups of water) Week 3 (this week) Im at 2 of decaf and 3 regular. Also no more tea in the afternoon. (unless its decaf) So far its been pretty painless.

Just a thought for you =)
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 09:18

In my line of work I have tried over 300 differant types of regular and decaff coffee. I had to choose one of each to serve my customers. While the decaff I chose to have roasted is "ok" I love my blend and roast of coffee. I have changed my iced tea here at home for me though. I have started useing 3 luzianne decaff bags to 2 reg to make my tea. That I have to say is great and I hope to be at all 5 decaff bags by the end of next week. But I will be leaving my coffee alone for now. If I do drink soda (Very rare) I always drink no caffienne. And even with my 6 cups of coffee every day and my 1/2 gallon of iced tea I drink at least 5 16oz bottles of water too.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 09:56

BF:

I am yet to find a palatable decaff that doesn't cost more than my 10 oz steak! I would really switch if I could find a name-brand coffee (decaff) that was good.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 10:00

as would I. Sigh........
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 10:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/167/135 Female 5'4"
BF:more than I need!
Progress: 36%

I love strong, dark coffees... and actually, Costcos Kirkland brand is not too bad. 3lbs for 'bout 6 bucks =)
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 10:09
SPOILED

Plan: Atkins Life Maintenance!
Stats: 184/152/154 Female 173 cm/5,8
BF:In right places...
Progress: 107%

Dear Yvonne,

I know how you feel! It's something strange about coffee.......I know now I can't give it up and you know here in Europe it's MUCH stronger too. Decaf is awfull. But I do think we react differently to it.....I actually started losing better when I (for other reason) started to drink more coffee...
I still don't think it affects your weight loss.....you are doing great even if you wish it could go faster. Sigh...

Take care and good luck!

Alina
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 10:17

Plan: The Ketogenic Diet/Atkins
Stats: 295/200/199 Male 5' 10
BF:
Progress: 99%

Alina - You know I don't like coffee but the coffee I had in Germany and Italy almost made me a junky. That stuff is really good! (why do we get all the watered down stuff?) We joked around about bringing back one of the italian vending machines with us to the US. <drool> I miss the 20 different ways to get a shot of coffee in the morning. Capucchino machiato...yum! Between that and those Pocket Coffee candies I think I would have had a serious problem if I had stayed longer.

I can see why it would be harder to quit there.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 10:22
SPOILED

Plan: Atkins Life Maintenance!
Stats: 184/152/154 Female 173 cm/5,8
BF:In right places...
Progress: 107%

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost
Alina - You know I don't like coffee but the coffee I had in Germany and Italy almost made me a junky.

I can see why it would be harder to quit there.

To quit? Impossible! I see you know what I mean.... nice to hear you liked it, it must have been like a diesel fuel for you. I mean the effect....

Alina