Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 15:21
Registered Member

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 312/252/182 Male 5 foot 10
BF:
Progress: 46%
Default Extremely metabolic resistant ppl

Just a quick query. Do people who have big troubles loosing weight on atkins actually go into Ketosis at all? Is that their problem (that they cant get into ketosis), or is it another issue?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 15:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/140/130 Female 5'7
BF:22.7%(about)
Progress: 80%

My big brother is this way, he did the "Fat Fast" for like 3-4 days through him into ketosis now he is looseing and is so happy he lost 30 pounds in 2 months, which is really great for him!
Also do you have the Ketone strips? If not you should get them they will let you know if you are in ketosis or not, if you are not then I would definately try the "fat fast" it would be worth a shot!
Well take care and let me know how is goes!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 18:04

Plan: Atkins Induction Forever.
Stats: 315/310/240 Male 5'11
BF:Way too much
Progress: 7%

Steveah,

I've haven't been losing anything lately but I am in ketosis. It just takes time and commitment and one day you will start losing. Sorry, I dont know the precise answer to your question but I will research it.

david
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 18:19

Stats: 182/182/140 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress:

hi,
I am 12 days into the Induction and I have only lost 2 lbs. Now I know that it is healthy to lose 2 lbs a week, but everything I have read about Atkins alludes to 5-10 lbs for the Induction. I have been very strict on mycarbs....pretty much always under !10! I feel great, lost cravings (pretty much but I am not reallyfeeling any results. Any more details you can give about the Fat Fast diet, you were speaking of?
Also, my boyfriend and i are planning a week hiking trip on the Appalachian Trail. Any suggestions for low-carb/non=perishable food to eat on the trail. I need a 3 day supply at a time.

Thanks!
::
Beth

Start 9/3/03: 182 lbs
Now: 180 lbs
Goal: 140 lbs.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 19:13

Stats: 180/140/130 Female 5'7
BF:22.7%(about)
Progress: 80%

Hey IrishAngel, well if you just type in Atkins Fat Fast, in any search engine a number of pages should appear I can remember the one my brother went to, though there are also alot of memebers here that have done that fat fast, youcan either look in the archives, or just start a new post, entitled it Fat Fast! I hope any of these three suggestions points you in the right direction I am sorry I do not know much about it except that is worked wonders for my brother, it can be hard but remember it is only a few days and will be worth it! Good luck and tell me how it works for you if ineed you decide to try it!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 21:32
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I don't have the exact answer to your question, but want to interject a couple of points.

The test strips are fickle at best. Go up to the orange bar at the top of the page, click "Low carb Tips".. you'll find a really good article about them.

Remember, the fat fast is actually DANGEROUS for people who aren't truly metabolically resistant. You need to give your body time to adjust before considering such drastic measures. It can take time, even when following a strict induction.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 21:50

Plan: Atkins/low carb mix
Stats: 206/184/130 Female 5'5"
BF:Size 12
Progress: 29%

How long have you been on it? Have you checked out all the tips? I lost 1-2lbs during induction and just kept at it and this week I lost 6lbs. I would give it some time if you hvaen't already.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 07:16

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I never bothered to check to see if I am in ketosis. According to Dr. Atkins, you do not have to be in ketosis to lose weight. My weight has been slow but it is getting there. From time to time, I notice a metallic taste in my mouth when I cough but that has happened before I started Atkins. I noticed other symptoms of ketosis but I don't get into that like others. I prefer not to.

Black57
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 07:24

Plan: Cyclic Ketogenic Diet
Stats: 261/236.5/160 Female 5'7"
BF:--%/--%/--%
Progress: 24%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishangel
hi,
I have been very strict on my carbs....pretty much always under !10

I would try bumping up your carbs closer to 20g per day before trying something drastic like Fat Fast. Too few carbs can be just as much of a stumbling block as too many carbs. Give it a try for a week and see what happens!
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 05:59
Registered Member

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 312/252/182 Male 5 foot 10
BF:
Progress: 46%

I am currently in heavy Ketosis (after consistent checks throughout the week), but not losing weight.

The reason i asked the question was because i wanted re-assurance that the weight would finally start dropping off. Therefore i wanted to know whether i would have to do fat-fast or not (if extreme metabolically resistant people dont go into ketosis, then i had nothing to worry about, if you know what i mean).
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 06:57

Stats: 310/255/210 Male 6'3
BF:
Progress:

Your still new to the program so dont fret just yet, just dont go off.

Not sure if you've introduced a workout yet, that may be something to consider.

Don't go on the scale for at least a week, that may surprise you as well, I think people that jump on the scale everyday get their hopes up and it only keeps them down, because you will go up and down a pound or two, then drop 6.

Also, have you done your measurements, the DANDR says that sometimes you may not lose weight, but you may still be losing inches. I'm going through this now.

I started out like you, but stuck with it. Just wait until you hit a plateau for 2 months.

Don't get discouraged, keep it up.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 07:02

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 190/190/90 Female 153
BF:
Progress: 0%

try drinking water and writing everything u eat
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 07:04

BF:
Default speed up your metabolism

you can speed up your metabolism by eating little but ofton, drinking 2 litres of water throughout the day and exercising and making sure you write your food in your journal.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 07:07

Plan: atkins
Stats: 400/333/250 Male 5'9
BF:49.5
Progress: 45%

I looked at your fitday and it shows you are eating under 1500 cals a day. And it looks like a lot of sodium too. I weigh 366 and if I eat less than 1500 cals a day I loose slower. You also do not say how much water or fluids you drink? I drink at least 3 to 4 litres a day minimum.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 07:23

BF:

what are you eating and rinking and exercising . r u on induction if so make sure your eating up to 20g