Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-03, 23:44

Plan: Atkins, continuing induction
Stats: 230/185/175 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 82%
Default Anyone else's family tell you to "get off the diet already"

I started induction on 6/18/03 and have been on it since.

Lately (last 2weeks), my family has been on my back, telling me i should stop my diet, that i look fine and so on.

I mean compared to before sure i look thin, but i in no way am skinny and infact have a good amount of weight i could still loose. Maybe they are afraid i will be turning anorexic or something since i keep lowering my weight goals (first it was 200, then 185, now 175).

Anyone else get this?

how do you deal with it?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 00:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 254/215/150 Female 64"
BF:C198/T126/H53/L120
Progress: 38%

How do I deal? Honey, thee people are unknowing saboteurs....Say thanks, but I like the way I feel when I eat like this! They cant diss you for FEELING good, now can they?

Best of luck....and persevere!

JC
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 00:51

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 224/217/159 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 11%

JC said it so well!

You don't have to defend yourself or sing the merits of Atkins. Just politely respond as she suggested, or something to that effect. You might want to add, 'I am so thankful for a family who cares about my health! I'm feeling better every day!" Then you might want to add, "Would you like to Low Carb with me? I could use a good LC buddy!"

Let us know how it goes, will you?
Annie-Pie
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 00:52

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 224/217/159 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 11%

CheM:
By the way, congratulations on your success! Wow, 75%. You must feel like a million bucks!

#5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 03:49

Plan: atkins
Stats: 233/194/150 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 47%

I just had someone tell me last night to go on atkins for a week, get your body in ketosis and then cheat because it was not good to be in ketosis. She said if you are in ketosis you are burning fat 24 hours a day. I thought that was the whole point. This was coming from a woman who could very well weigh 400lbs. at least.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 05:42

Stats: 250/230/165 Female 70
BF:
Progress: 24%

My mom was making home made perogies the other day and I walked in her home and it just smelled heavenly.... She said to me ohhhhh here take one, I said no Mom, I can't have that stuff (dough & bread crumbs in the meat). She actually hollered at me those famous words which I HATE....

"ONE'S NOT GOING TO HURT YOU"

GROWL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When will they learn ??? when when when ???
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 06:07

Stats: 170/151/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 63%

I cqn relate. Yesterday I had a screening colonoscopy and had not eaten any solids since Monday. My hubby ( who has been supportive) wanted to take me to lunch after the procedure. He loves bread and wanted to go to Panera and I said I would prefer somewhere else. He said "you lost 3 lbs overnight (which I did) prepping for the colonoscopy and 1 lunch is not gonna hurt you." grrrrrrrrrr.....

He did tell me last night after I got ready for a football game that I really looked slim.

MsMonty
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 06:15

Plan: atkins
Stats: 400/333/250 Male 5'9
BF:49.5
Progress: 45%

My family is always harping and trying to get me to eat!!! Thats why we are all fat. Not none of my moms sisters are over 5' 4" tall but not one is under 220. Every time I hear "Oh Honey this wont hurt you" I want to scream that are giving me pure "ASSFAT"
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 06:19

Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

YES!!! Except its not my family, its the people where I work...my bosses. Just the other day one of them told me that one of the other bosses was sitting with him in the cafe when I came in that morning and he said to him "hey, that's L! Do you think its healthy for her to lose any more weight?" I mean, please....I have plenty more to lose, so I don't understand where they are coming from. The boss that told me this said I don't want to get too skinny.

This just really blows my mind because I still see myself as heavy. Not obese, but definately not a skinny minnie. I'm no where near "too skinny".

L
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 06:34

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast
Progress: 91%

isnt it funny?! I foresee these problems and have already started talking to my family about them. I assured my mother that even though I am and will lose weight quickly that she is NOT to be worried that I have developed some sort of eating disorder or call me anorexic when I get under 150... the thing is nobody in my family has ever weighed under 150 and I kNOW they will all be talking non stop saying that I am unhealthy... ANYWAY, she assured me that she wont do that (yea right) and "wont it be nice for me to feel that light" YES it will!!!! I love myt family and think they all desperately need to do this Atkins with me for life because my mom has type II Diabetes and eats so badly, high BP...you name it she has it.... screaming sirens go off and I want her to live a lot longer

well who knows..maybe when I get to my goal these naysaysers will hop on board.

My sister is constantly telling me how all of the teachers in her school have been on atkins and quit and gained back all the weight... she says its a dumb plan because nobody can stick to it...I honestly dont even have a reply to that.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 06:36

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 193/167/150 Female 5'10?
BF:
Progress: 60%

The only reason my dh ever told me to quit is because he is a cheap skate. He thinks it is too much money. He thinks this because of the macadamia nuts and shakes,but I havent bought them in a while. He has also asked me a while back ,when am I gonna be done with this diet. I guess he would prefer that I go back to being a fat a** , which he hasn't called me in awhile.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 06:43
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

When I told my mom I was going on Atkins, she said "Oh Hil, that'll kill ya!" Apparently so-and-so that she knows "almost died" from the diet... right.

She also said "just don't stay on it for long, ok? Maybe just a month or two." Are you kidding? I know she means well.

My mother-in-law is also concerned that I'm losing too much weight. Please! 60 pounds from now she can maybe start worrying about that.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 07:54

Stats: 196/150/135 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Wow - I'm glad other folks are dealing with this too. My mom knows just enough about Atkins to ask irritating questions. She keeps asking me when can I "add in" more stuff, and what she means by that is all the bread/pasta/potatoes etc. that I'm planning on avoiding even when I'm out of OWL. She also keeps saying in a worried voice, "you can't eat this way forever, can you? It can't be good for you." Well, she has been doing WW forever, and eating all kinds of nasty and fake foods. She is the queen of the rice cake and fat free everything - which I tried at one time but just couldn't stand. She just can't understand how eating LC can be good for you, but she won't read the book to understand it. It is very frustrating, but at least she isn't actively trying to make me eat stuff. Luckily, even though my BF is a string bean who can eat carbs all day without it affecting him, he is very supportive of my WOE.

But you do have to watch for other poeple who want to sabatoge your progress. Family is the worst, but friends can be equally bad, particularly if it is a parent who has known from the day of your birth how to push your buttons (since they put them there!). Dr. Atkins has a section about it either in DANDR or in AFL, but I can't remember which one. I think they also have it on the website. People just don't like change, and sometimes it is hard to stick to your guns! But hey, we know what is a healthy weight for us, how we feel after losing weight, and it is for US to decide how and what we eat!
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 08:01

Plan: Atkns/CT Weight&Wellness
Stats: 335/272.5/170 Female 5 ft 3 inches
BF:54/51/35
Progress: 38%

Geeze, my mom almost cried when I went over for dinner and wouldnt eat the stuffed peppers. "But there isnt anything fattening in here, its all good stuff"...

I told her the rice just isnt good for me, my body doesnt cope well with it and its one of the reasons I have gained so much weight over the years.

The look of disappointment on her face nearly pushed me over the edge, but then I just said "arent you happy for me that I am feeling better" and she did a complete 360!

Before I left, I told her next time she can make leg of lamb and I will dig in!
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 08:11

Plan: Cyclic Ketogenic Diet
Stats: 261/236.5/160 Female 5'7"
BF:--%/--%/--%
Progress: 24%

People can and will sabotage you. Some do it out of jealousy, some do it out of ignorance and some don't even know they're doing it. The most common thing I hear is, "Oh! You're still doing that diet?" Most people seem to assume that you'll fail or that it's a fad you're going through.

To me, it seems that some people don't like when others are successful at something they've failed at, so they immediately try to bring the other person down.

"So-and-so did that diet and gained all the weight back!"

"I heard that diet was dangerous and could kill you!"

"There's no way you can eat like that for the rest of your life!"

"You've lost too much weight already! That must be unhealthy."

"Here, try this. Just one won't hurt you!"