Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-03, 07:45
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/180/145 Female 5' 3
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default Induction foods, bacon, sausage, etc

Hi everyone,

I've asked the qustion about bacon before and I guess I left the part out about induction. My boyfriend and I started Atkins Monday and have lost 5 pounds so far...woohoo

But, what we want to know is this. Baco, Sausage, hot dots, lunch meat, etc. Most of them all have some sugar in because they are processed meat. Doesn't Atkins say to not have sugar during induction?

I'm assuming because the body process is to burn carbs first, then sugar then the fat. That's why low carb and no sugar?

It sure would be nice to have a place to find "induction" food, recipes, menus all in one spot Would even be nicer to have the carb counts on recipies.

Thanks
Kris
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-03, 08:01

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

You should do your best to stay away from sugar products. Cold cuts are not only notorious for sugar but for salt too. I only eat turkey, roast beef, baked ham (store baked) and Boars Head brand cold cuts because they add no fillers (another big problem with things like bologna, liverwurst, etc).

Bacon is a tough thing because there supposedly are sugar-free and nitrate free bacons....I still have yet to find them. So as long as you don't eat every day...you shoudl be ok.

Same for sausages...many contain sugar. Read labels... I bought Italian sausage from the supermarket that has no sugar.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-03, 08:17

Stats: 170/132/122 Female 62
BF:23%
Progress: 79%

I eat bacon every, every day. Four slices for breakfast. Sometimes for supper also. This hasn't hurt me.

I'm not a big hot dog fan or lunch meat fan so I don't eat that, with the exception of maybe a little ham in my eggs every blue moon.

I do eat on occasion (maybe once a month) when I'm in a hurry and nothing else to eat a can of vienna sausage with may.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-03, 11:20

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 417/213/117 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 68%

Jimmy Dean frozen sausage patties. 30 or so a pack, no carbs, no sugar. LOVE THEM! Bacon impossible to find with no sugar.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-03, 11:32

Stats: 250/205/180 Female 69 in
BF:
Progress: 64%

Hey!

I went a little nuts in the beginning (only 3 weeks ago for me...) trying to make sure there were 0 grams of sugar in everything. It's virtually impossible to do this program without trace amounts of sugar to pop up in carbohydrate counts on products. Here are a few suggestions:

If you have a Whole Foods (or other natural foods market), get your bacon there. It will be nitrate free. You can even get nitrate-free pepperoni there!!

When looking at bacon, check out the curing ingredients. Pick the one that has sugar the furthest down the list. If sugar is in the top 3-4 ingredients, it will be more prominent.

Jones natural sausage roll is really yummy. Do that for sausage.

Hot Dogs - get Kosher beef hotdogs like Hebrew National or Best's. A 1/4 lb dinner frank from Hebrew national is totally natural and has only one carb!!!!

Good luck! And remember -- carbs have to come from somewhere... chances are, there might be a tiny sugar here and there. Avoid it when u can...
~D
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-03, 11:49
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins-Modified (TKD)
Stats: 263/245/210 Male 75 inches
BF:31%/25%/10%
Progress: 34%

I am kicking myself for not remembering the exact brand name, but one of the "Premium" bacon brands at my grocery store was zero carbs, and it tastes very good. I tend to go light on bacon because all brands seem to be heavy on the nitrates, but look for premium brand bacon and check the labels.

As others said above, Boars Head brand lunch meats are a pretty good choice, though you should pick up one of their food guides so you know what has sugar and what does not. Boar's Head Roast Beef, Oven Gold Turkey, and hotdogs are carb free, and some of the other lunch meats are no or very low carb.

My grocery store makes sauages and they are carb free, very fresh, and very tasty. If you live in Florida/S Georgia try Publix Markets. They even carry Atkin's and other low carb products in their health food section. (And they are cheaper then GNC.)