Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 10:53
Registered Member

Plan: ???
Stats: 145/145/127 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default poo and ketosis question

First is it normal to bleed a bit when you pooh while on atkins? I don't think so but most seem to think constipation is acceptable so who knows.....

Also I tried the fat fast since after several weeks of cheat free induction I have neither acheived ketosis nor lost any weight or inches. Im on day four of eating nothing but a handfull of porkrinds, sourcream and cavier (just like the book says) 5 times a day. And drinking nothing but tons of water. Still no ketosis nor any weight/inch loss. What is going on???

Last edited by Afox : Wed, Sep-17-03 at 10:55.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 11:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 290/247/165 Female 178 cm
BF:
Progress: 34%

You must be like my husband... He tried Atkins three times, followed everything to the letter and never managed to lose a single pound... I guess that unlike what the book says, there are some people who just won't lose weight this way. At least that's what I saw happen to my husband...
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 11:40
Registered Member

Plan: ???
Stats: 145/145/127 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 0%

Really? Shoot, maybe It is hopeless. So should I go tot he doctor about the bleeding or is that something evreyone goes through but never talkes about?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 11:50

Plan: Just Low Carb
Stats: 168/158/145 Female 5'6
BF:26%
Progress: 43%

Hi Fox
I think you should go to the doctor.....I've been constipated before but never bled. It might not be anything wrong, but just for precautionary measures.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 11:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 290/247/165 Female 178 cm
BF:
Progress: 34%

I never had any bleeding - or constipation for that matter - so I couldn't say...But I think that any bleeding is worth a visit to the doctor. Better be safe than sorry...
As for it being hopeless, I know that most people will say that if done correctly Atkins works for everyone. I know that is not true, because I saw my husband struggle with it for a long time without any results, and I know that he did everything right because at the time he was between jobs, so he was home all day and I saw what he ate...For me it works fine and when he went back to a low-calorie diet he lost weight immediately.... Who knows...
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 13:36

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Hemorrhoids?

Bleeding is never acceptable side-effct. You mentioned constipation, so probably the bleeding is from hemorrhoids. (If you type the word into your search engine, you can find hundreds web pages about this very common problem.)
Here is a short version:
"The term hemorrhoids refers to a condition in which the veins around the anus or lower rectum are swollen and inflamed. Hemorrhoids may result from straining to move stool.
Hemorrhoids usually are not dangerous or life threatening. In some cases, hemorrhoidal symptoms simply go away within a few days. But in most cases, hemorrhoidal symptoms eventually return, often worse than they were before. Although many people have hemorrhoids, not all experience symptoms. The most common symptom of internal hemorrhoids is bright red blood covering the stool, on toilet paper, or in the toilet bowl.
Hemorrhoids are very common in both men and women. About half of the population have hemorrhoids by age 50. "

(from: http://www.hemorrhoid.net/hemorrhoids.htm)

It is important, bleeding could be sign of much more serious conditions. Usually if the syptoms do not go away after 7 days, it recommended to check it with a doctor, even if it is "only" a hemorrhoids.

Meanwhile taking more fiber to prevent constipation can be the best thing you can do.

Last edited by Galadriell : Wed, Sep-17-03 at 13:43.