Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-03, 21:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 239/208/135 Female 5 ft 2 in
BF:don't go there!!!
Progress: 30%
Default Sugar alcohols are the DEVIL!!!

I have FINALLY learned my lesson on the sugar alcohols having awful side effects.
I usually do pretty good if it has a little sugar alcohol on it but I recently bought some Sugar free JElly Bellies and sugar free chocolates from an online company because I love JElly Bellies and did not realize they had sugar free ones.
They have 36 g of carbs and 32 sugar alcohols in them so basically 4 g for 36 jelly bellies -not bad BUT..............................

I have had the most awful case of diarrhea I have ever had in my life-honestly and sorry to get so personal but people that don't know really need to know-It has been violent diarrhea -pure water coming out. I have had to drink ALOT more water to keep from getting dehydrated. and that is from only eating like may 5 or 10 of them .

Then a few weeks ago I bought Blue Bunny no sugar added ice cream-Double Strawberry swirl-YUM YUM--no problems eating it

After I finished that I decided to try the Blue Bunny Mint Decadence in No sugar added and after eating about 1/2 cup serving I got diarrhea really bad again and thought "What the heck is going on?"
It had the warning on the side that this product may have a laxative effect on it-BOY OF BOY DID IT EVER. Must have been the chocolate in it.

I have wasted at least $40 between the chocolates,Jelly Bellies and ice cream and am throwing it all away because of the HORRIBLE side effects .

The only good thing that came out of it was that I lost 5 lbs in 2 days due to diarrhea but I don't want to lose that way

Anyway-JUST A WARNING TO ALL about sugar alcohols-They are the
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-03, 21:33

Plan: Atkin's Nutritional Approach
Stats: 190/165/150 Female 68 inches/ 5' 8 1/2"
BF:39/32/25
Progress: 63%

I have found that the Atkin's Diet causes me to become constipated... and the sugar alcohols keep me regular.
That sucks that you can't eat them.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-03, 21:40

Stats: 202/128/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 96%

I heard lots of people on here say that sugar alcohols cause the same problem for them while they don't bother others. My DH can eat them with no side effects.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 05:22
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

You would think that I would have learned my lesson by now, being one of the individuals who is effected. But.... As they say, no pain, no gain.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 14:29

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Yup...reactions to sugar alcohols are very individual. Some people can eat quite a bit of them and not have a problem while others spend the afternoon in the bathroom after having only a little.
I've found that a little (20 grams or less) sugar alcohol doesn't have a bad effect on me, but more than that and I blow up with gas like the Goodyear blimp.
If you've never had a product with sugar alcohols in it before, my advice would be to start with only a small amount until you know what effect they will have on you. Those warnings about possible laxative effects are there on the label for a good reason! The alternative is a mad dash (or several) to the loo and perhaps a good deal of discomfort as well.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 14:37
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins?
Stats: 197/190/120
BF:
Progress: 9%

::Cough::

If you are planning to just throw the chocolate away you could give it to me instead.

:oes not care about occasional diarrhea::

Atkins can constipate me so sugar alcohols keep things moving. Anyway I try not to binge and eat a ton of candy all at once. That's what really make me run for the bathroom.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 17:27

Stats: 210/190/150 Male 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%

Sugar Alcohols have NEVER affected me...
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 19:02

I never had a problem with sugar alcohols before eating this chocolate and ice cream-I wonder why all of a sudden ?
I was kind of hoping my body would get used to it instead of rejecting it so suddenly.
There are different kinds of sugar alcohols aren't there?
Lactitol,Sorbitol and Maltitol- Is that correct and if so does anyone know if one effects more than another one does??

#9   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 00:28

Stats: 290/178/180 Male 68''
BF:?/13%/10%
Progress: 102%

In addition to throwing me out of ketosis, these things KILL my stomach. Maltitol, El Diablo!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 09:25
Registered Member

Plan: the South Beach Diet
Stats: 155/150/130 Female 5-3
BF:
Progress:

Are they actually BAD for you though? Do they affect the way you burn fat or anything? Or is the only problem the diarreah???
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 17:21

Stats: 233/212/135 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 21%

I'm gonna echo Steph44's question - are these things bad for us? How do they work? How do our bodies metabolize them? It just seems strange that they're 'free carbs'. Curious if anyone knows more....
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 18:22

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200.5/192.5/150 Female 5'6
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 16%

ohhh that does suck the SF chocolate is the only thing that keeps me going. I love the carbolite crispy nutrition bars in PB they are 2 g AWESOME!!!!!! And Jello too mmm thats too bad they are wonderful for saving u during cravings!!
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 19:11

I found an intersting website that tells about Sugar alcohols:

http://wilstar.net/lowcarb/sugaralcohols.htm

Maybe this will help us to understand them better. THanks for everyone who has responded to my post on this.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 11:14

Plan: Atkins/M&E/HCG
Stats: 233/186/160 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 64%

Can someone help me understand this. I've seen sf candy in the grocery store near atkins products but never bought any because the carbs are 22g per 5 pieces. Am I understanding this wrong? You can subtract the sugar alcohols from the carbs? How do you know how much sugar alcohol is in the product?
I would really like to try some sf products but was too afraid of the high carb count.

Thanks
Deana
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 11:51

Stats: 148/138/135 Female 5 ft 7 in.
BF:
Progress:
Default sugar alcohols -

Hey! I'm with you! I am praying for the day when they substitute all that gas producing stuff with Splenda!! I made the mistake of eating half a bag of carbolite jelly beans and thought I would die with stomach cramps!!