Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 20:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188/156.5/150 Female 5 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 83%
Default 3 questions from a fairly new member

1) If the sugar alchohols in the the Atkins bars send you running to the bathroom, are there any OTHER low carb Aktins foods that might be OK?

2) How do I change my stats? I am down to 165 pounds but don't know how to change the stats. Thanks in advance for assistance.

3) I am a 3 year, stage 3 colon cancer survivor. Do I need to be extra concerned and/or cautious about being on this diet? Is there anywhere that you can direct me that has any scientific research in relation to Atkins and colon cancer.

Let me preface these questions by adding that I had been on Weight Watchers for 2 years prior to starting Atkins. The only thing I was successful at on that diet was MAINTAINING my weight, not loosing. This Atkins diet is like a miracle for me!

Thanks for any and all help in answering my questions.

Karen
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 20:44
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Karen,

I can't help you with Q1 because I don't eat much in the way of "fake" foods. And Atkins products aren't available where I live, even if I wanted them.

To change your stats, go to at the top of the screen, then go into "profile." Don't forget to click "submit modifications" when you're done.

I'm so glad you've survived 3 years after colon cancer. May you live happily and healthily for many more years to come! You are ensuring your future health by eradicating sugar from your diet. Have a look at this informative article: Cancer's Sweet Tooth.

All the best to you, Karen!

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 21:00
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Found a bit more info for you, Karen. Have a look at this from the Atkins site for more reassurance: http://atkins.com/Archive/2002/3/19-500061.html

Cheers.

Rosebud
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 21:11

BF:
Default Thank you!

I was able to change my profile information. I had gone into the profile section but clicking on profile within that, was not intuitive.

I had read the article on the Atkins site about Cancer. Thank you.

The other article is new to me and I will read it with great interest.

Thank you again for your prompt response and help.

Karen
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 21:18
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 217/170/155 Female 5/5
BF:
Progress: 76%

I will attempt #1. Sugar alcohols should be eaten in moderation. They are kidding when they say "excessive consumption may cause laxative effect"! I don't have a problem with them when I want a bite or two of chocolate. I try to buy products with Splenda, I like it better than malitol. For TOM I had better have a nice little supply of my sf candies ready!
I am so happy to hear you are doing so well! Now you can focus on other things, like silly sugar alcohols! Welcome to the board! I am addicted! You will get so much really great info!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 21:19
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 217/170/155 Female 5/5
BF:
Progress: 76%

OOOPS!!!!! Meant to say "they AREN'T KIDDING" when they talk about a laxative effect!!!!!!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 22:41

BF:

<<Sugar alcohols should be eaten in moderation. >>

I think I figured that out for myself (unfortunately) and by reading snippets on this very helpful board. This board helped me figure out what was happening. Thank you!!!

I think my question was more along the lines of .... do the other Atkins products, like the peanut butter, muffin mixes, and biscuit mixes have the same effects and are they loaded with sugar alcohols? Are sugar alcohols listed as an ingredient?

Thank you for helping.

Karen
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 23:08

Stats: 202/128/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 96%

Not all of the Atkins products have sugar alcohols. When you read the label beware of glycerin being listed as well as sugar alcohols.

Congrats on your cancer recovery! My DH is a survivor of bladder cancer and prostate cancer. It's not an easy thing to get through but when you do you can sure be proud!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 07:54

BF:

Thanks! I wouldn't have thought about glycerin being listed as a sugar alcohol.

Karen