Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 08:52

Plan: Atkins/M&E/HCG
Stats: 233/186/160 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default How do you cook steak?

I'm loving this diet but hating all the cooking I have to do. I never bought meat before, one because it's expensive and two because I DON'T know how to cook.

I need so much help. But let's just start with steak.
I don't know how to use a grill and can't use my oven because the top heating element that let's me broil is dead.

How can I cook a steak on the stove? Or if you can really give me detailed help with the grill that would be appreciated also.

I'm so tired of waisting my $ only to burn it or it tastes so grose I throw it away.

Please please please help me.
Deana
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 11:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 182/147/145 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Hi Deanna,

Here's what works for me when frying a steak....(say, about 1" thick)

Pre-heat burner to medium-high

Allow the first side of steak to cook until you can see the blood oozing on top, then turn it over and cook the second side about half the time you cooked the first side for medium to medium rare depending on how thick the steak is.

For best results, make sure you buy a good steak--T-Bone, Ribeye or Rib (cheapest) are the best--or fillet mignon if you can afford it.

Oh yeah, it's also best if the steak is not frozen when you cook it.

Hope this helps!

judy
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 05:33
Phoenixa

Stats: 164/136.6/132 Female 172/5'8
BF:Yes.
Progress: 86%

I don't know the shape or form of an American steak, but here in Sweden a typical 1 kg/2 lb raw steak is 7-8in (long) x 4in (wide) x 3in (thick).

I've cooked steaks on top of the stove several times, in an iron pot (good for you, you get some extra iron with that).

- I cook/fry it in oil/butter on all sides at first at a high temperature - until it's got a nice, dark colour to the surface. Salt and pepper on meanwhile.

- Then add about 2 cups of liquid (whatever the recipe calls for... water+oil, spices, chopped onions or shallots, leek, garlic etc, maybe some cider vinegar or wine and Splenda + maybe more salt - another nice thing to put on top of the steak is a few filets of canned anchovies, they melt into the mead giving it a savoury flavour).

- Lower the temperature, put the lid on and let it steamboil/simmer until ready (about 30 min/lb of meat for rare/medium), i.e. an hour for 1 kg/2lbs. Or use a meat thermometer. Time/degrees will be provided on those.

- Turn steak a couple of times during cooking.

Keep the unsliced meat you don't consume immediately in the fridge with some of the stock that has formed. It'll last a couple of days.

Last edited by gilibel : Mon, Sep-15-03 at 06:26.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 21:04
Registered Member

Stats: 385/346/210 Male 73"
BF:
Progress: 22%

You might consider a George Foreman Grill... It's fast, cheap, and gets great results.... Shove it in a cupboard when not in use... Also in the kitchen gadgets section just get yourself an instantpocket thermometer.

BEEF: Internal Temperature
Very Rare - 130° F
Rare - 140° F
Medium Rare - 145° F
Medium - 160° F
Well Done - 170° F
Very Well Done - 180° F
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 06:26

BF:

I think I'm going to have to look into getting a George Forman grill.
I've tried cooking the steak on the stove but it just doesn't come out very tender.

Thanks for the replies

Deana
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Sep-21-03, 19:16
Contributing Member

Plan: Adkins (somewhat modified)
Stats: 250/182/170
BF:
Progress: 85%

We had steaks last night with our supper club....they used a "Montreal Steak Seasoning" by McCormick.....sensational flavor.....Could not believe the difference! Try it next time you grill out!!!!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-03, 07:04
Registered Member

Stats: 223/201/175 Female 63 inches
BF:Want Some of mine?
Progress: 46%

The GF Grill won't do anything for the tenderness. If you can't afford the better cuts (NY strip, Rib eye, T Bone etc...) try a good sirloin or Club steak (the same as a sirloin only smaller). This is what I usually purchase. If you are going for the cheaper cuts, I have found that a lighter color meat is more tender. Also if you are cooking the steak until well done, it will never be tender, no matter the cut.

Make sure your pan is HOT prior to adding the steak and stays hot after turning (turn only once) so all the good juices don't come out. You want to sear the outside. I like my steak rare-med rare and I would guess a 1" steak takes maybe 8-10 minutes to cook, at the most.

Take a sharp knife prior to cooking and "score" the fat that is present on the edge of your steak, just make several cuts thru it but try to not cut into the meat. This will keep your steak from curling up when cooking.

Grill cooking isn't much different. Pre heat the grill for several minutes so it's hot. Turn only once. Cook on medium high heat.

Hope this all helps!

Jaimie
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 08:36

BF:

Jaimie,

Good advice. That make a lot of sense.
I'm terrible about turning the steak over and over. I'm going to try it by only turning once.

Thank you
Deana
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 08:42

Stats: 227/227/200 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:Soft and Squishy
Progress: 0%

Hi ~

Best piece of kitchen equip my dear departed mother bought me was a iron grill from Williams Sonoma it has little wavy bumps and I just crank the heat up and then 4 minutes each side. Gorgeous!!

Here in Ireland Schwartz makes a seasoning called American Grill (Cayenne, etc). The Best!

Good for burgers, chicken (like a fajita thang) and mixed grill..

Enjoy!

Katyspice
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 12:10

Plan: atkins
Stats: 330/217/190 Male 70 in
BF:?/30/less than 20
Progress: 81%

My dad taught me to throw a steak on a hot grill, wait for blood to just start coming out, turn it once, using tongs ( a fork will allow the juices to run out), and wait for the blood to start coming out this side. The steak is now perfectly med-rare, which is how I like it. If you like it more well done, just let it cook a little longer, it only takes a few minutes. Excess turning, cooking over too low a heat, and turning with a fork will result in a tough dry piece of meat.
I use meat tenderizer on cheap cuts of meat. It works well, if you follow the directions.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 12:30
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 209/190/145 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 30%

Sirloin Steak is very good cooked in butter and worchestire sauce. try it
youll love it
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 12:36

BF:

Actually I just discovered how much flavor worcestershire sauce can add to anything. It's not even too high in carbs at that.

Deana
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 11:57

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 417/213/117 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 68%

I am going to have to second the George Foreman Grill. I am a total moron when it comes to using the grill. My husband is in the army and whenever he goes somewhere I am totally screwed and have to eat eggs the whole week. The last time he was gone I lost 7 lbs in a week but not because I wanted to. It was because I had nothing I could eat b/c I didn't know how to use the grill plus I'm just paranoid about using the grill. So he bought me a George Foreman grill to use in the house and I LOVE it. Whenever he goes TDY I yank out the grill. To be honest we use it even when he's here because we live in Alaska and sometimes it's just too damn cold to go outside to grill.