Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-01, 18:48

Plan: atkins
Stats: 225/225/190
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question Is the first day supposed to be this hard???????????

I started the atkins diet last night , and feel like I am dying today. I have a huge headache, and I feel sick to my stomach. And I feel very fatigued, Is this normal???
When will it get easier? Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-01, 21:22

Plan: 6 week body makeover
Stats: 225/185/190 Male 5.8
BF:
Progress: 114%
Default Re: Is the first day supposed to be this hard???????????

Quote:
Originally posted by antsabo123
I started the atkins diet last night , and feel like I am dying today. I have a huge headache, and I feel sick to my stomach. And I feel very fatigued, Is this normal???
When will it get easier? Thanks for the help.

Hmm you sound like me last week when I first started this.. Yes it is normal.. You were probably a carb junkie like me and everyone else who goes through this carb withdrawal! We all felt like crap for first few days but I can tell you it does get better and it will go away! Just drink lots of water and even take a aspirin if you want.. I did for the headache! The hardest part for me was the intense cravings and headache! After about day 3 I felt way better!

hang in there, it does get easier!

Hugs
Shannon
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-01, 21:51
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 137/132/122
BF:
Progress: 33%
Arrow I was right there...

I did great the first day but trying to get out of bed on Day 2 was the pits!! I thought I was going to pass out the second I stood up! I felt like I had the flu...my wt. loss buddy felt the same way so it's got to be normal. Day 3 - 7 have been great! It gets easier everyday and the cravings go away. I made it thru 3 bday parties/cakes this weekend w/o even drooling!

Just don't give up....keep it going, it does get better!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-01, 22:56
Registered Member

Stats: 250/200/185
BF:
Progress: 77%
Default It get's easier....

Just be easy on yourself... I've done this several times now and am just getting back into the saddle after being off the wagon myself - I'm on my first day without carbs and just feeling a bit off and slightly tired - just the first signs to the body that the bread and surgar thing is about to go the way of the dinosaur...

Seriously though - Low-Carb is easier and easier over time - it's just a way of being - the danger for me always seems to be when I get to a certain point where I feel I can ease up a bit - I'm now certain I understand that I can't afford to slip back to the old habits of that ice cream and english muffins...

Size 34 pants - here I come!

Jon
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-01, 23:01
Registered Member

BF:
Default One more thing...

One more thing:

I'll be posting my horrible 250 pound photo and then whatever weight I am by Oct 31 of this year to show the loss of the last two years... I am committing to that - although I'm gonna hate to scan that picture - I just have not seen any photos of guys who have been through this - it's all the women with the guts to show the before/after here - so I figured what the heck? Why not? I promise to show a little leg too <lol>...

I am now 215 pounds and am heading back towards 185 and a tight butt - so this 42 year old aerospace webmaster ( recently single) has a shot at meeting a fine looking woman again...
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-01, 05:37
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins mix of sorts
Stats: 174/168/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default Hang In There !

Hi, Anthony:

I really feel for you as I know exactly what you mean. I had the sweats, headache, "fuzzy" headedness and what I call the heebie-jeebies on my first few days. I recognized those symptoms from my past and I used to "fix" them by eating something sweet! It's plain old sugar withdrawal and it will get better.

This will soon be over and you'll be full of energy! I find that if I cheat on my diet I must go through all those icky symptoms again the next day. I call it "Carb Hangover".

Just hang in there and you'll be fine! Plus, the thought of having carb hangover again is a good deterrent from sneaking off the diet!

Best of Luck ~
Sandy
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-01, 08:21

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 244/224/130 Female 5' 3" (should be 6'3")LOL
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default headaches

My problem was with headaches. I started drinking more water and using nosalt and now I am ok. I think my electrolytes were off from all the voiding as well.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-01, 08:50

Stats: 245/245/145
BF:
Progress: 0%

I'm looking forward to seeing your picture Jon. Show all the leg you want.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-01, 09:13
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
I'll be posting my horrible 250 pound photo and then whatever weight I am by Oct 31 of this year to show the loss of the last two years... I am committing to that -

We'll hold you to that!

Karen
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-01, 10:16
Registered Member

BF:
Default Ok!

Karen and Sylvia,

You've got a deal ladies

I'll even wear shorts and a tank top and have a big smile just for you.... Now I've got an additional goal worthy of my diet <lol>...

Jon
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Aug-12-01, 05:36

Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Thumbs up How r u doing?

Hi antsabo123

How are you doing?

Your Carb withdrawal symptoms should be easing off by now. The Induction can be very hard - depends how addicted you are to carbs. Believe me, the benefits of staying with it are way over the odds for the temporary protest by your body. Show it who's boss

Take care.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Aug-13-01, 10:46
Pending Member

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 186/150/135
BF:
Progress: 71%
Default Jon's Photos

Whoo hoo! Bring it on, Jon!

Shirley
Florida
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Aug-13-01, 10:50

Plan:
Stats: 225/205/180
BF:
Progress:
Default Is the first day supposed to be this hard???????????

Your blood sugar is normalizing. If your blood sugar usually goes up after you eat and it doesn't on the LC WOE, you are having a normal reaction. After the first 2-3 days this will go away. However, you may have this problem again if you go off the diet for a few days and then get back on it.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Aug-15-01, 07:50

Stats: 340/339/225
BF:
Progress:

Just found this forum. Was looking for an answer to the very same initial posting. Started yesterday and have had a "sick to my stomach" feeling since yesterday afternoon. Headaches started last night, and this morning I've added the sweats. Yes, I was a HUGE carbo junkie and am pleased to know this is "normal". I'll make it through.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Aug-18-01, 17:20

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 312/285/230
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default More Protien

If you start feeling REALLY weak and shaky, your blood sugar may be getting low. It should normalize after a few days on the diet. You body may be used to the roller-coastering blood sugar levels caused by carbs. You may need to eat more protien (since it is turned into bloodsugar, just a whole lot slower than carbs are) to help get you through the first couple of days. Hang in there. You just have to make it a few days and you should starting feeling a LOT better.