Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-03, 17:59
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Chocolate Sauce help

Well, I've tried twice now to make chocolate sauce with Splenda and it's just nasty! It is like the chocolate and the Splenda don't want to bind together or something. I get this very, very bitter chocolate taste, followed up by an overwhelmingly sweet splenda taste.

I melted 1 oz of unsweetened chocolate with half & half then stirred in some splenda concentrated liquid.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 05:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/165/150 Female 70 in
BF:
Progress: 50%

What about the classic peanut butter cup recipe, minus the peanut butter? As I recall, it was yummy even as it came out of the microwave pre-PB.

1 stick unsalted butter
1 oz unsweetened chocolate
1/3 c Splenda (8 pkts)
1 T heavy cream (or a little more or less depending on how "dark" you want the chocolate to be)
4 T peanut butter

Melt butter and chocolate together *slowly* in the microwave, adding the Splenda about halfway through. When totally melted, stir in the cream (and PB, if you're using it). Obviously to make cups this has to be poured into candy papers and stay in the freezer, but I don't see why it couldn't just be used as a chocolate sauce. It will thicken a bit at room temp, or use it warm.

(I'd try this in a smaller quantity to test, though...just to make sure!)

Good Luck!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 11:54
Experimenter

BF:

I saw someone say something about adding vanilla and I did. It helped a bit, still is about as far from Hershey's syrup as Madagascar is from Boise. I'll try stirring in some butter next and see if that helps. Then perhaps adding in some peanut butter, although I wasn't really looking for that particular flavor, still it does sound kind of good!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 12:41
Experimenter

BF:

Ok, the butter helped some also. And I remembered I have some chocolate extract in the pantry I've had for years and I think that helped a huge amount. I think the alcohol in the extract does something with the chocolate or splenda to make them mix together better.

It now as a moderate chocolate bitter taste followed by a very sweet splenda taste, but it isn't as awful as it was. In fact, if you like dark chocolate, and I do, this might appeal to you.