Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-03, 15:36

Plan: Custom/Modified plan...25-40 carbs per day - it's working!!
Stats: // Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default Caffeine Deprevation Headache

I decided to kick caffeine for a week to see if it has any effect on my greater well being.

I seem to have a pretty bad headache, I'm guessing it's from caffeine deprevation, because in the past i've gotten one of these and a cup of tea or coffee gets rid of it.

I've had it for the past two days straight, should i have a small amount of caffeine like green tea to ease my body off it, or just take some motrin and deal?

Anyone else get these?

Is it even worth it to not have caffeine in my life? I miss you, caffeine..come back to me... *sniffle*
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-03, 15:45
Kid R

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: // Female 5"1'
BF:Too darn much!
Progress: 90%

Personally, I'd rather face a room full of spiders than give up caffeine. Apparently it stalls some people. It had no such effect on me, though. About 15 years ago, I tried to stop drinking coffee for what I thought were health reasons. I turned into such a witch, and suffered from such depression, that I realized I was losing my will to live. It's my one vice, and I'm sticking with it.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-03, 16:10

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default One shot a day

I never gave up, but reduced to one morning espresso - no more caffeine during the day. (I mean no tee, coke etc.) With this one espresso I still easily (without any stall) lost 35 lbs in 7 months.
I had very strong headache for one week when I decreased my coffee intake from 4 espressos/day to one, but maybe because I kept the one shot, the headache disappeared very fast.
Having very low blood pressure, without this coffee I have sudden black outs...
From the posts on different threads here, it seems to me that half the members still drinking coffee.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-03, 20:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 298/253/175 Female 5ft 11in
BF:
Progress: 37%

I was a massive caffine addict. I never drank coffee, but my weakness was Mt. Dew. I used to drink a one liter at work then another 3 or 4 glasses in the evening after I got home. What worked for me was I had to gradually wean myself off of it. It took about a week, but no headaches. I gave up the caffine before cold turkey and had MASSIVE headaches. So maybe try to slowly wean yourself off. Hope this helped.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 05:58

BF:

Ya know, it's been two days and the headache finally subsided. Went to dunkin and got a DECAF iced coffee w/ light cream, I believe there's about 5 units of caffein in decaf compared to about 45 in regular coffee, so the small amount did dull the pain. This morning it seems to be ok, though I'm thinking about a cup of green tea, just because I like it and we have about 9 flavors of it at my coffee shop (15 units of caff in green tea). BTW I forget exactly what the Units are, I just know the numbers!

Mmm:
green tea with mint
green tea with peach
green tea with orange, passionfruit, jasmine
green tea with raspberry
green tea with mango
green tea with blackberry
there's more, cant think of them all. Delish.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 10:39
Registered Member

Plan: General Low-carb
Stats: 146/120/110 Female 5'2"
BF:36%/24%/20%
Progress: 72%

Let me tell you, I gave up caffiene when pregnant with my first child, and I had awful, just awful, killer headaches for over a month, every day. It was one of the hardest things I've ever done, and that includes two babies born at home with no pain medicine!!
I honestly think the best way to get off of caffiene is cold turkey, just do it and get thru it and be done with it. I stayed away from it completely until after I had my 2nd baby, and then I started drinking a cup of green tea in the mornings. I had been so addicted to coffee that if I slept in I would wake up with a headache, so I really needed to get off of it. Now I will have a soda or a glass of iced tea, and I usually have my green tea in the mornings. I found that as long as I keep it in very low amounts, I can have a little without NEEDING to have that caffiene. I also found that my whole mood/energy/attention level is better when I have that small (30-40 mg as opposed to the 120 mg average in a cup of coffee) amount of caffiene.
It is definitely a drug and a very addictive one at that. I found for me that the only way to get rid of the addiction was to flat out quit, tho some people may respond better to a gradual weaning. I think either way you'll have to deal with the headaches, tho. I feel for you.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 10:48

Stats: 259/191/160 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 69%

Rozezone, sounds like you are almost off caffeine and, bless your heart, did it the hard way. In the future, if you have to do it again, do it by halfs (consume half as much for a few days, then half again for a few more days, etc until you are down to none). This will preven the awful withdrawl headaches. HTH
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 11:08

Plan: atkins
Stats: 400/333/250 Male 5'9
BF:49.5
Progress: 45%

I cant imagine giving up my pot of coffee in the morning and my iced tea all day. One thing at a time. First was smokes, now the lard maybee next the caffiene. And that is a big big big maybee.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 11:11
Registered Member

Stats: 198/172/165 Female 6'
BF:
Progress: 79%

I never gave up drinking my one cup of coffee....and it has not caused me to stall. If it were me having the headache, you bet I would be drinking at least one cup....try easing off the caffeine, not going cold turkey. Good luck!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 16:38

BF:

Well, I sorta gave into the headache today and had a small 4 oz cup of coffee. I think i'll try to slowly drop the levels down. I'm not sure I want to quit, I love my coffee, just want to be able to stop at one cup per day, know what I Mean?

thanks for the advice and stories, everybody!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 18:17

BF:
Default Don't forget to count the carb(s)...

One big difference between low-carb and low-cal eating is that coffee isn't free. Be sure to count the 1 carb for each cup of coffee... and the additional 1 carb for artificial sweetener, if you use it. I don't use cream or non-dairy creamer, so I don't know their impact, but it seems likely there are more carbs there.

Sorry to rain on the coffee parade...
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 20:22

BF:

Oh don't worry, that's not raining.

I do count the carbs from coffee, though i'm in an interesting situation: all my food comes from my college's dining hall. It's very hard to know what's in things, what sized portions I'm getting, etc. As a result I dont "count" every carb, but to allow for hidden sugar/flour/carbs in the food they serve, I try to keep everything I eat close to induction levels. I figure I'm getting about 20 hidden carbs a day, but I'm pretty sure i'm staying between 35-40. I'm in ketosis most days, so I'm sure it's working. Also my goal is to not obsess over every carb, been doing this for about 3 months and when I could I took the time to learn carb counts of food, and portion sizes so I think i'm LC-Smart enough to make the rough estimates I do. It's workin for me, but other people may need to be stricter. Ketosis is my judge, I'm in it on most days! If I fall off the wagon, I know i'll get back on within 2-3 days. I'm shrinking - slowly but surely, but most importantly, my energy level stays nice and steady, and I feel great. Yay for LCing!
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 21:28

BF:

Sounds like you are bang-on the right track! And a wonderful positive attitude to go with it.

Best of luck to you! But sounds like you should be giving lessons to the rest of us.