Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-03, 15:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 181.5/171.5/155.0 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default bummed right out

I am so bummed. I just measured myself and I have increased in size. My weight hasn't changed in 4 weeks.
I started working out this week. 3 times resistant training and a little areobics. What the heck is going on? This is not good.
I am still in the induction phase. less than 20 carbs a day. I
've been eating advantage bars, at least one a day. Atkins banana nut muffins worth 2.0 g a day drinking my water taking my supplements.
I want to cry. My period is due next week. I suppose I can say it's that but "that" didn't happen my last period.
Can someone shed some light.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-03, 15:12

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%

Sol, you need to stick with the safe food on Atkin's induction list. Cut out the bars and the muffins.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-03, 16:09
Registered Member

Stats: 290/228/190 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 62%

Dont worry,
I did the same thing , except the TOM thing if that happened I am sure my wife would be kind of upset lol,

I started working out and i did not increase my water and carbs and i gained back 4lbs the first week or so.

I was frustrated but then out of no where in the 2-3 week of working out and me increasing my carbs to about 25-30 and adding more water I started loosing again.

I am no doctor but i think it has to do with our bodies wanting to hold on to everything escpecially when we start working out and you have to convince it your will keep feeding it enough etc.....
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-03, 16:11

Plan: Atkins/BFL
Stats: 120/???/113 Female 5ft 3 inches
BF:18.8/18.8/15
Progress: 63%

I agree! Also, your muscles retain water when you start exercising. That could be why you have "grown", a lot of people gain actual weight (on the scale ) when they begin exercising.

Relax about it and wait till after your TOM ends, keep exercising and measure again in a couple of weeks.

You are doing great!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-03, 16:19
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

I agree-every time I upped my weights at the gym, I would gain a couple of pounds. I also gain 3 pounds every month due to PMS. Don't worry that it didn't happen last month-your body is changing and releasing fat which releases the estrogen trapped in the fat.

This is where you are going to have to trust the process and just know that it is going to work.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-03, 16:31

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Those bars and stuff with sugar alcohols aren't supposed to affect blood sugar or weight loss but many people report stalling until they stop eating them. So you might try that.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-03, 19:03

Stats: 291/283.0/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 6%

Sol,

Don't give up. You have made the choice to give your body good food and exercise. I am in induction and only on day 14, I have a long way to go - and I know it's hard for me not to compare my loss to others - because some are losing so much faster than me, but I know that my body will turn loose of the weight sooner or later and so will yours.

Chin up - keep up the good work. Maybe cutting out the special treats or at least cutting back on them will help.

Martha
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-03, 20:15

Stats: 236/202.5/159 Male 66
BF:
Progress: 44%

Hang in there. I know it's tough since we have to wait all week to hopefully see that drop and then when it doesn't happen it can bring you down. You did the smart thing and came here for some feedback. Good move...it shows you're serious and if you're serious you will succeed. All good advise above I think. Maybe ease up on the bars, stick as much as possible to unprocessed foods/meats and congrats on adding exercise...you're adding dense muscle which may make the scale lie too. Remember too that you have already lost a significant amount and more will come.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-03, 21:14
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I had lost about 5 pounds, but when I measured I was the same and extreamly disapointed. I remeasured a few days later and was down an inch. The body will hang onto water when you exercise or up carbs. There is also a great thread on how water will enter the empty fat cell as a palce marker for a while. Higher sodium intake, hormones, heat, and a variety of other things can also lead to water retention. All these things can mean bloating.

Drink your water like a good girl, and that means alot of it. Sip on green tea occasionaly, and just wait it out
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-03, 21:46

Plan: atkins
Stats: 178/153.4/135 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

wow, I just learned something. I didn't know water could take residence in the empty fat cells. I know that they say drink water all the time and that diet sodas, crystal light, etc don't count for water. But what about the sugar free flavored water. I suppose it doesn't count as the normal water intake for the day either. *sigh* just tip me over and hook me up to a water hose, maybe that will get me going. lol
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-03, 22:38
I'll get there yet!

Plan: Atkins/nutritionist blend
Stats: 319/284.4/150 Female 66.5 inches
BF:way/too/much
Progress: 20%

When I started working out, Sol, I gained about 10 pounds the first week...and I was on induction, too! Over that first month, I ended up netting a 2.5 pound loss (up 10, down 12.5)--but I also lost 7.75 inches. So hang in there, 'cause exercise DOES work. (It even feels good after a while.)

Jude
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-03, 23:01

Plan: low cal,less pro. atkins
Stats: 138/130/118 Female 179 centimeters
BF:
Progress: 40%

Sol, I hate scales. They measure your fat, your muscle, your water weight, sometimes your clothes if you have on something heavy.
I wish the only thing we used scales for were to measure meat at the market.
Instead I use a tape measure. If you say your measurements aren;t going down, there are 2 things, and 2 things alone, you can do and you will finally see results. the first thing is, aside from the Low Carb, you should make sure you do not consume over 2000 calories, taking into acount your weight. some people on this board might jump on me for saying that, but unless if you are not pregnant or nursing, then eating say, a good 1700 or 1800 calories is just a good way to reduce your weight.
In addition to that, perhaps you might want to decrease your protein and increase your fat. you can add fat by adding butter and olive oil for now. Those count as calories too. I know atkins doesn;t tell you 'Count Your Calories', but even a nutritionalist from atkins told me the average woman on this diet will consume around 1800 calories to lose weight. I do less because I weight a lot less.
Second, Cardio.
Cardio is more important than weights. When you lift, you can build muscle. If you simply elevate your heart rate, your body will begin to burn fat. I would do not just a little cardio, but as much as you can. See if you can walk briskly for at least an hour per day. It is not possible to do too much walking or cardio activity. the only time you should worry is if you have injured or hurt yourself, or you have breathing problems. If you feel faint or dizzy. Otherwise, the more you walk and jog, the healthier it is for you.
you could lift weights, but I have learnt from a great deal of experience, for a woman especially, get the heart rate up and burn the fat.
maybe look into pilates, which is very good for working the midsection. you will be surpised at how much of a difference dilligent cardio training can do.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-03, 06:45

Plan: atkins
Stats: 204/196.5/170 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:tooooo much
Progress: 22%

Same thing happened to me, THIS MORNING!! I've gained three pounds since working out this week. And those atkins bars were a major stall for me.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-03, 16:07

Stats: 181.5/171.5/155.0 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 38%

Thanks very much to all. It's been a discouraging weekend and I ended up eating desert yesterday as well as having vodka and club soda. Perhaps more than I should have. But reading all my replies helps. I won't give up. I will stop those atkin bars.
I will take in more water and I will do more cardio. My plan is to do the cross trainer for a half an hour every day and keep up my resistant training. We'll see how the next two weeks go. I'll keep you all posted. Many thanks to all again