Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 08:57

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 8%
Thumbs up Single LC'ers Challenge!!!

So folks… How are we doing? I frequent some of your journals and I pay attention to all of your stats, but I think we need a place where us singletons help each other out on our LC weight loss journey!

Things I’d like to see covered in here:
  • Eating for one
  • Exercise Tips
  • Eating LC on a date
  • Maybe a dated challenge - Halloween anyone?

What do you want to see here????
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 09:42
empress of fashion

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

What's the dated challenge? Who can get an actual date by Halloween?
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 09:48
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

I am always up for a challenge. Or maybe it is I am a challenge. Either way.

I am trying to get back into exercise. Slacked off the last three months.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 11:10
ArtificiallyFlavored

Stats: 260/252/200 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 13%

I definately need to get myself back into the excercise thing. I have slacked for well over a month. I really want to get to the gym at least 2-3 times a week and to start using some of these excercise videos I've got laying around.

I also need to make an effort to keep closer tabs on my carb intake, most of the time I just wing it. And I think somedays I'm way off the mark by doing that.

Even though I've got the kiddo here, I am used to cooking for one. At least half of the time she either won't eat what I'm having or she wants something I can't have. I would worry if all she wanted was junk, but she actually isn't a big junk food eater (although I've got to talk to her dad and aunts about not letting her have too much while she is with them, before she gets hooked on junk.)

One of the things I've learned to do when cooking is to fix something that I can take the leftovers and make a quick second meal out of. We had chicken the other night with some seasonings and a little tomato sauce poured over it before I baked it. I put the leftover chicken in the fridge and sliced it thin the next day, layered it and some pepperjack cheese with a little taco sauce between two low carb tortillas, heated in a skillet turnning occasionally and the kiddo and I had chicken quesidillas that we dipped in sour cream. It was good and really quick. I always fix a little extra meat when I cook so I have leftovers to do stuff like that with.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 12:09

BF:

The challenge could be to drop some pounds or inches before Halloween so we could be stunning in our costumes and pick up dates

Right now I am concentrating on staying on task with my eating plan. I need to exercise, but I am giving myself some leeway with that.

I cook big roasts, big packages of chicken legs, etc. Also I discovered a very fast, very easy LC dinner last night! Frozen hamburger patties (100% beef) can be nuked. 6 minutes on medium and another 30 seconds on high to melt the cheese and I was all set with a tasty lc meal. If only I had some pre-cooked bacon I would have been in heaven!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 13:31

Plan: Atkins - Induction
Stats: 306/298/160 Female 5', 5"
BF:BMI: 49.2/49.2/24
Progress: 5%

I would be up to joining a Halloween Challenge!!! That's like a 1 1/2 months away from now - and goodness knows I could use a challenge to stay on track until then! What type of challenge were you thinking?
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 13:55

BF:

For the halloween challenge....

Set your goal. Outline how you're gonna do it. At least weekly drop by with status. Halloween is on a Friday this year. I vote on Friday check-ins!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 14:08

Friday check-ins sound good to me!

Ok, so I'm going to be bold and say that I'm really going to go for losing 30lbs. I know that's a big goal, but we've got a tiny bit over 7 weeks to do it (I figure that's a little over 4 lbs a week - not too crazy with having so much to lose, and being on induction the entire time). (I was originally going to say 25 lbs., but I'm going for the gusto here).

It might not be possible - but I figure set my sights high, and I'll be motivated to try my best.

I plan on staying on induction only (20 grams or less/day).
Starting a walking program - small steps right now, maybe 15 minutes a day - just something to get me going. I also vow to go dancing at least once a week - not like ballroom dancing, but serious, on the dance floor, getting sweaty dancing. Love it!

Start Weight: 262
Goal Weight: 232
Outline: Induction only
Walking
Dancing

*fingers crossed* I can do this!!!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 14:16

BF:

Argghh! I wish you lived here. I would go dancing with you. I don't have any pals to go dancing with anymore!!!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 14:45

When you finish this challenge, you should come to Cali for a celebration and you and I can go dancing all over town!!!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 17:33

Plan: atkins (testing hf/mp)
Stats: 157/143.2/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:why i oughta...
Progress: 69%

Hey soon--where in cali are you--I LOVE to dance!

My Halloween goal is to add a daily walk in to firm up what I've lost so far. I hate the gym. Blech.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 17:38

Live in Los Angeles area (about 10 miles from downtown) :-D Dancing is awesome!!! We should set up some LC Singles Meeting out here in Cali!!!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 19:05

Stats: 194/182.5/140 Female 63inches
BF:
Progress: 21%

I'm up for the Halloween challenge. Ski season will be starting soon after and I HAVE to be ready to trek my butt across huge parking lots to the lifts at 9,000 ft! Like everyone else, excercise seems to be a biggy. Funny how sitting nothing seems as fun as dancing. I was just thinking today of making a new dance mix and closing the blinds

I think 25 is perfect. Don't have the guts that Soon has to say 30! Go Girl!
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 22:34
Circling...

Stats: 230/222/150 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 10%

OK - I'm in for the challenge for Halloween.

My goals are:
weight loss goal -20 lbs. I'd love 30 but I'm afraid there are plateaus in my future!
exercise goal - Curves or biking three times a week.

Are we starting this right now?
If so I'm starting at 207# (I still can't believe I'm admitting this on a website )

Happy losing,
Cheers,
Gypsy
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 23:22
Midas in reverse

Stats: 260/231/165 Male 75 inches
BF:~31%/~26%/<17%
Progress: 31%

This suggestion may not work in LA (used to drive truck there--BLEECH--I'd rather make deliveries in NYC!), but it works here in SoU--Get a PO Box, optimistically within walking distance, and have your mail delivered there instead of your house. I live about 5/8mile from one--I usually make the hike at least every other day. Also am about 1 mile from the nearest WalMart--easily within biking distance, including a couple of moderately steep hills. Since I installed a rack on the back, it works for small stuff.

I think 197 by Halloween is doable. Thanks for the incentive to get back on track. Unlike most of you, I liked being married! The fact that I'm male might have something to do with it. Moving my ex-wife and beloved kids to Oregon has put me into a month-long "Funk", which I am just now getting over, college homework and Atkins have suffered immensely. Went from a low of 215.5 to 228. Back down to 221.5, as of today.

Hi Gypsy (what a cool handle). What's got you afrighted? Committing to losing 20 lbs on a website? Or admitting your present weight (you already did that in the stats). Nobody's going to trash you if you don't make it--chances are they won't, quite, make their goals either. But if you do.....WOW. What a power trip! If you can conquer your weight, and you can, then you can do something that the vast majority of Americans CAN'T. What else can you do that they can't (or won't)??

Last edited by Azraelle : Thu, Sep-11-03 at 00:11.