Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 21:18
Carb Nazi

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/255/160 Male 6'0
BF:YES!
Progress: 5%
Angry Fat Boy Not Eating Enough?

Fat Boy Not Eating Enough?

I am eating less than 1000 calories a day... I am just not hungry on the WOE. I am losing weight but I am worried I am not eating enough food and that I am not learning how to maintain weight later when I get to my ideal weight. I just get to the point that I am not excited about the food that I can eat so I just don't eat at all. That may be good for my weight loss, but what about the long term affects?
Todays intake:

BREAKFAST - Diet Sunkist Soda
LUNCH - hotdog with mustard (no bun), Diet Sunkist soda
SNACK - Sugar Free Jello with whipped cream
DINNER - 1/2 cup cottage cheese, slice of cheese, 10 slices of Pepperoni
SNACK - 2 dill pickles

What do you think? mad
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 21:52
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi there Mad,

You're right, you're not eating nearly enough. The main problem is that before too long, your metabolism will slow down so drastically that your weight loss will come to a screeching halt.

First of all, if I were you, I would get out your copy of Dr Atkins' New Diet Revolution and reread it. Remember the bit about eating vegies? They are really important - and your body will thank you for adding them. Eating vegies is also a great way to get those calories up, too. Vegies are so much yummier when you add fat. Most cooked vegies taste much better with butter, or you can make a cheese sauce by simmering heavy cream until it has thickened a little, then stir in grated cheese. And salad vegies are good with mayo, or nicely fatty dressings such as caesar or ranch.

The next thing you need to do is start eating breakfast. Diet soda does not a breakfast make. Have a look at out Breakfast Ideas subforum for some, um, breakfast ideas. Eating breakfast has been proven to increase metabolism. And remember the bit in the book where Dr Atkins says not to go longer than 6 waking hours without eating breakfast? Again, this is about your metabolism.

All the best to you, mate. You may just be surprised to find that eating more will make you hungry.

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 07:50

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast
Progress: 91%

lol...hmm that doesnt sound at all healthy!!!

have a steak and a nice big salad!!! I thought cottage cheese was on the NO-NO list?
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 08:22

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike
That may be good for my weight loss, but what about the long term affects?
Mike, I'm not going to parrot the good advice you've received already, I just want to address this one question.

If you continue at this rate then yes, you can eventually expect to permanently lower your metabolism. The good news (yes there is some) is that you haven't been doing this for too long. In your favour are also the facts that you're male and that you're carrying a fair bit of excess fat around. Both of these facts mean you've got more lean mass than a) us women and b) other men who weigh your goal weight. This means you have a higher metabolism than both of those groups.

Losing fat will also result in some lean mass lost - you simply don't need it anymore. You can interfere with this process by increasing your calories, getting adequate protein, eating more frequent smaller meals and by starting an exercise program that involves weight lifting.

As Ros suggested, eating more will likely bring your appetite back - exercising will also do this. Having an appetitie is not a bad thing. It's a sign your body is looking for more fuel. I realize that hunger is something we don't trust when we are overweight - I remember well what it was like to be so hungry all the time while eating high carb / low fat and being afraid to give into it. Because insulin is controled with LC that hunger you feel is real hunger, it's not a result of wild blood sugar swings.

I'd begin by gradually increasing my calories - breakfast is a great place to start - and of course, my veggies

Nat
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 08:28

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Mike--You can (and should) be eating much more than you do and still lose weight!

I know that it goes against any low cal dieting philosophy that you've probably had driven into your head, but it does work!

Check out your Atkins book again, as there are pretty clear guidelines about quantity of choices of food. And by all means, take a look at the recipes section of this forum. As it stands now, you're not developing a healthy, long-term relationship with food.

Good luck--

Donald
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 08:48

Plan: Atkins (modified - no red meat)
Stats: 324/244/150 Female 5'6
BF:46.6%?/42/20%
Progress: 46%

One way I up my calorie intake for the day is by eating nuts. Nuts are excellent sources of healthy fats and also contribute a lot of calories in a little bit of nut. Macadamia nuts and almonds are two of the best choices as far as most bang for the least carbs.

Also, it looks like you are eating a lot of highly processed food. In addition to the veggies already suggested (especially dark leafy greens), choose relatively unprocessed meats - ground beef/turkey/pork is exceptionally versatile and don't contain nearly as much sodium or nitrites/nitrates that you find in hot dogs and pepperoni. If you're past induction, replace the sugar free Jell-O with fresh strawberries and cream.

Breakfast is essential! Have your cottage cheese for breakfast. Make an omelette and throw in all sorts of vegetables (mushrooms, olives, spinach and a little bit of feta cheese). If you're rushed in the morning, hard boil a dozen eggs on the weekend and keep them for a quick, easy and healthy snack.

And don't forget your water! Make yourself drink at least half your water for the day before you reach for a soda. Also, the Sunkist and Jell-O are both made with aspertame, which is warned against on Atkins, so you may want to look for a different soda brand, such as Diet Rite.

Last edited by melissasvh : Tue, Sep-09-03 at 08:50.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 08:51
Too kinky for you

Stats: 265/246/187 Male 176 cm
BF:xxx/27.2/20
Progress: 24%

Mike! Man! Veggies!!!! sheesh
try the cauliflied rice recipe out, it's really good!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 10:04

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 220/217/185 Male 6 feet
BF:26%
Progress: 9%

You are not eating enough calories. Don't you feel light headed or dizzy? You are much like me. I couldn't get along on what you're eating. Add some jerky (turkey or beef) to get your calories and protein up. You can carry it with you and grab a chunk when hunger pains set in.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 12:41
Zora

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Hi Mike,

If you need some recipes, I have some good ones. Don't make me come spank you for not eating your veggies!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 21:21
Carb Nazi

Zora... oh please come spank me!

I really appreciate everyone's support and advice. I know I am not eating enough and not eating the right stuff. I think I did better today. What do you think?

Breakfast - Diet Sunkist, Slim Jim Beef Stick
Lunch - Hamburger (no bun) with cheese, bacon, and mushrooms
Diet Coke, a handful of peanuts
Dinner - 4 low carb beers (yeh!), grilled chicken with mushrooms, green
beans

Total Carbs about 30 (slim jim = 1, cheese = 1, mushrooms = 8, peanuts = 4, low car beers = 10, green beans = 5)

Low Carb Beer... its not just for breakfast anymore! mad
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 21:29

Stats: 185/170.5/145 Female 63in
BF:39%/34.7%/24%
Progress: 36%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinbad
Mike! Man! Veggies!!!! sheesh

LMAO!!!!!
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 21:36

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast
Progress: 91%

welllll....it's improvement dude...but???? perhaps Beer isnt the best thing to give half of your alloted carbs to??? besides you KNOW that alcohol is burned before fat..therefore you are shortchanging your weight loss!!!

Are you drinking water? I thought you were drinking all kinds of water......
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 21:46
Carb Nazi

Hi Jessie... I know, I know but I like my beer. It was funny, I have never been a big veggie eater at all but those green beans tonight tasted like heaven! mad
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Sep-11-03, 08:46

Stats: 196/150/135 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

I go back to Sinbad's statement - Mike! Man! Veggies! You really need more veggies!

And I can understand the beer, but FOUR of them? Maybe ditch two of them and instead eat some veggies or "legal" fruit. The drinking water advice is pretty key too, as well as taking vitimins to make sure you are getting all your nutrients.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Sep-11-03, 09:00

Plan: atkins
Stats: 178/153.4/135 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

I hate veggies too, but greenbeans cooked in bacon greese is sure yummy. That and stir fry's cooked in butter, OH Boy!