Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 09:58

Plan: atkins
Stats: 177/170/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:
Default Does this REALLY work???

I'm just coming off of Atkins which I absolutely hated. I did lose a bit of weight, but the amount was not in proportion to my efforts. I can't imagine eating that way for the rest of my life. And if you do have a "bad" day you pay the price in an upset stomach, leg cramps, and insta-weight gain.

In any event, CAD seems just too good to be true. I have read the book(my second time trying it), and while the science makes sense, I'm just very skeptical about the ole' reward meal. I have to admit, that I tried this diet before, for a brief time. There is a possibility that I went a little too hog wild during my reward meal. But it still seems to be against everything out there about losing weight. This diet says...you CAN have your cake and it too!!!

Can this really be true??? I'm willing to try it again, but really do want to lose weight...not get on another failed diet.

Thanks all!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 10:09

Plan: CAD from day 1
Stats: 327/304/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 14%

I was very skeptical about CAD at first too. I had read about it in a magazine but thought it sounded too good to be true. But, I kept hearing about it and I knew I was a carb addict so I finally decided to give it a try.

It does work. The reward meal does not make you gain weight, so long as your CM's are very "clean". You have to work the program to the letter to "get away with" the reward meal. And, of course to strive for balance at your RM too.

Take a look at some journals, see what people are eating and still losing weight. It works for them, why not you?
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 10:40

Plan: modified CAD
Stats: 131/122/118 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 69%

It's working for me. I'm not sure why, really. I'm not even sure if I'm having my cake and eating it, too.

I find:

1) that I eat a lot less during the day when I don't snack.

2) my complementary meals are smaller (and a lot healthier) than my old meals used to be

and 3) that my reward meals are smaller than I might have thought they would be, given the freedom we're allowed. Since I'm eating less during the day, I don't have the appetite for a big blow-out feast in the evening.

I haven't counted my calories or carbs, but I think I'm losing because this WOE allows me to be satisfied with less food than I used to have, and because the food I do eat is more nutritious, with fewer empty calories.

The real miracle of this WOE is that for the first time in my life I'm not ruled by the irrisistible urge to eat every two hours, and that I can stop at one donut, (or brownie, or whatever the sugar-laden treat is).

I know I'll always be a carb-junkie, but I don't have to "use" - I can eat like a person who doesn't have an addiction - IF I follow this eating plan.

I hope you have similiar luck with it.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 11:23
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/CAD
Stats: 330/276/150 Female 5' 1/2
BF:WAY TOO MUCH!!!
Progress: 30%

Yes, it WILL work...For a week in a half since switching over to CAD I was staying right the same (fluctuating a half pound mostly) each day till today and I've finally reached a lower # 310! After 3 weeks finaly going again AND EATING TOO!!! I am less hungry and feel so much better getting some no-nos too. I didn't gain when I ate Hardees Sourdough 6.00 bacon cheese burger and fries a couple nights ago either! Amazing!!!
I think I went TOO low on carbs AND everything on Atkins trying too hard.
Find out which one works best for you. Give it the full 2 weeks though...There is a lot less fat so it probably takes a few days or more to adjust from the higher fat difference too.
Good Luck!
Pat
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 14:46

Plan: Weight Watchers
Stats: 264/136/146 Female 64inches
BF:
Progress: 108%

Let me add to the list of YES's! It does work and it's the most liberating, fun, and easiest thing I have done in a whole lifetime of dieting. I've lost 25 pounds since Jan.. It's not a quick fix, but it's steadily down, and generally, once lost I never see the pounds back. Once they're gone....they're gone!

Give it a serious try and enough time to see a difference. You may notice a difference in how you feel before you see the scale move, but it will move and it's so worth it!

Deb
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 18:02

Plan: atkins
Stats: 177/170/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:
Default Thanks!

Thanks to everyone for your words of encouragement and inspiration. After being disatisfied with Atkins when it wasn't the quick fix I was looking for, I will be satisfied to lose more slowly but not feel totally deprived. After your positive words, I'm ready to give it a try!!!