Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 12:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/157.5/135 Female 5'6''
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default what this person says about low-carb diet

I read what this person is saying and got me a little worried. What if what he's saying is true about low-carb diet? I hope this person just doesn't really know what he's talking about. I hope thats the case. If you want to go to the web page where I found this here it is:

www.fatvanish.com

Weight Loss - How I Discovered The Proper Method
From low carb high protein, to high carb low fat, to the strangely popular high fat diet, I experimented with all available options. I found that certain meal plans have some very effective ideas, but none offered ALL of the necessary ingredients to quickly, permanently, conveniently, and SAFELY eliminate fat.

Low Carbohydrate Diet?
For example, the low carbohydrate diet plan will cause a reduction in body weight within the first 1-2 weeks, but the majority of weight lost is water / muscle, and NOT FAT. Fat loss will follow, but unfortunately it is accompanied by a metabolic slowdown. The initial reduction of water/muscle actually DECREASES THE RATE AT WHICH YOU BURN CALORIES and, as a result, you will GAIN BACK EVERY LOST POUND ONCE YOU INTEGRATE CARBOHYDRATES BACK INTO YOUR DIET! It is not possible to follow a no-carbohydrate diet long term (it is unhealthy to do so), and inevitably you will find yourself introducing them into your regular eating plan after several weeks. Never forget -- LOSING BODY FAT IS YOUR ONLY GOAL, as reducing muscle tissue and water weight DOES NOT improve your appearance, and in fact greatly slows or even prohibits the fat loss process (which is why so many are "stuck" with no further results). In addition, weight loss on a low carbohydrate plan produces a smaller version of your former self rather than enhancing your physical appearance (due to muscle loss, which eliminates tone, and creates a sagging, unappealing body structure). Lastly, once you begin to follow a normal, carb based diet (a low carb plan such as the Atkins diet is IMPOSSIBLE and DANGEROUS to follow long term), within several months, YOU WILL LIKELY FIND YOURSELF FATTER THAN BEFORE YOU STARTED THE DIET, and you'll quickly search for a new routine. Low carb diets are NOT a permanent fat loss solution!

Not Just Weight Loss -- FAT LOSS IS KEY!
Always remember that weight is composed of water, muscle, and FAT -- your ONLY goal is to shed excess fat, as MUSCLE is essentially a calorie burning furnace (and will help you to quickly and permanently eliminate ALL excess body weight, EVEN WHILE RESTING). Any diet that restricts carbs in favor of high protein OR excessive fat intake is COUNTERPRODUCTIVE, and does NOT permanently eliminate body fat. In fact, most find themselves FATTER due to carbohydrate depriving diet plans.

High Carbohydrate Diet?
HIGH carbohydrate diet plans produce a different, yet EQUALLY INEFFECTIVE, response. In cases of high carbohydrate ingestion, the body actually SUPPRESSES FAT BURNING HORMONES, PREVENTING the release of stored calories (FAT). In fact, the only enzymes produced through a high carbohydrate focus are FAT STORING in nature (insulin), meaning unless calories are very low, you will ACTUALLY GAIN FAT ON A HIGH CARBOHYDRATE PLAN! Even if you were to sharply reduce calories, the excess carbohydrate concentration will continue to prevent the release of stored fat, but will gladly burn up muscle tissue (as protein content in such diet routines is extremely low). Thus, common diet philosophies that concentrate on a high carbohydrate, low protein/fat basis provide results similar to that of low carbohydrate / high protein structures -- muscle is lost, and fat percentage INCREASES!

You Must Control Insulin, But Not Using Today's Popular "No-Carbohydrate" Diet
One of the many keys to permanent weight loss is controlling the hormone "insulin". Through proper caloric division, food selection, and protein/carb percentages (where carbs are a part of diet, but properly balanced with protein), coupled with a potent exercise routine (if you wish to accelerate results), not only will you reduce overall insulin secretion, but also cause an immediate release of stored calories (FAT) into the blood stream. Insulin is essentially a FAT storage hormone and, if not properly manipulated through dietary variables, will PREVENT fat loss, even on a low caloric intake (which is the main reason why high carbohydrate diet plans will NEVER promote fat reduction, REGARDLESS of what many "dietary experts" have claimed). In addition, suppressing insulin reduces both blood pressure and cholesterol readings, while preventing/curing diabetic symptoms, all of which are potentially deadly health issues.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 13:01

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticrose
You Must Control Insulin, But Not Using Today's Popular "No-Carbohydrate" Diet
This is your Readers' Digest anwer.

The "L" in LC stands for "low", not "No". Atkins, PP, CAD, SP - they are not about eating 'no' carbohydrates, they are about:
"controlling the hormone "insulin"... (t)hrough proper caloric division, food selection, and protein/carb percentages (where carbs are a part of diet, but properly balanced with protein), coupled with a potent exercise routine. ... Insulin is essentially a FAT storage hormone and, if not properly manipulated through dietary variables, will PREVENT fat loss, even on a low caloric intake (which is the main reason why high carbohydrate diet plans will NEVER promote fat reduction, REGARDLESS of what many "dietary experts" have claimed). In addition, suppressing insulin reduces both blood pressure and cholesterol readings, while preventing/curing diabetic symptoms, all of which are potentially deadly health issues."

What you have found is someone who only thinks they understand a LC WOE but obviously has yet to crack a book on the subject. He has described the LC plan in the exact same paragraph he trashes it

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 13:10

Stats: 180/157.5/135 Female 5'6''
BF:

"but the majority of weight lost is water / muscle, and NOT FAT. Fat loss will follow, but unfortunately it is accompanied by a metabolic slowdown."

I just hope thats not the case with me. I just wont read negative stuff others are saying about low-carb diet anymore : )
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 13:18

BF:

Rose, LCing does not waste muscle, it's actually muscle sparing, because it's rich in protein. High carb diets, on the other hand, are muscle wasting, because calories are restricted and protein is defficient. The man does not have this facts straight.

Yes, metabolism does fall when you diet - this is true of any diet, and there's not much you can do about it. LCing helps keep this to a minimum because of the Metabolic Advantage - it allows you to eat more and still lose. Metabolism is slowed less than with traditional dieting. Couple this with LCs muscle sparing qualities and you have even less of a slow down than with tradition dieting. You preserve lean mass so you keep metaboslim raised.

Water is lost when you start out - we make no bones about that. But fat is also lost, and fat is what is continued to be lost - otherwise we'd lose Induction size losses throughout our dieting!

Information is power. Start with DANDR and Protein Power - they will give you a good understanding of your new WOL and provide a base of knowledge which will allow you answer these outrageous claims.

Nat
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 13:36

Plan: General
Stats: 185/155/135 Female 5'6
BF:you kidding me?
Progress: 60%

If that's the case, then some of us have lost 20, 30, 50, 100 lbs. of water! OMG!!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 14:52
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins modified
Stats: 235/220/150 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:37
Progress: 18%

That is some guy who has no medical substantiation, he is not a doctor or a practitioner, and he is just out to make money. His web site is unprofessional, and if you scroll the million of miles down to the bottom you will see that he wants $100 to tell you his so-called "Secret to weight loss".

What a scam...
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 15:03

Plan: CALP (switched from Atkins)
Stats: 189/169/145 Female 63 inches
BF:Way/too/high
Progress: 45%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlGeek
That is some guy who has no medical substantiation, he is not a doctor or a practitioner, and he is just out to make money. His web site is unprofessional, and if you scroll the million of miles down to the bottom you will see that he wants $100 to tell you his so-called "Secret to weight loss".

What a scam...

Makes you mad enough to spit, doesn't it??? My healthy low carb diet in conjunction with exercise has done wonders with my insulin levels, thank you very much. I have lost a full clothing size worth of fat and toned my muscles considerably.

Whenever I see a web site or online advertisement that uses CAPS TO EMPHASIZE, with lots of EXCLAMATION POINTS!!! I figure it's a scam.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 16:05

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
but the majority of weight lost is water / muscle, and NOT FAT. Fat loss will follow, but unfortunately it is accompanied by a metabolic slowdown.

If it was all muscle and water, where'd 32-38" of my body go [13-15" around the waist/navel, 11-13" around the hips, and 8-10" around the upper chest (bustline)] ???

NOTE: The "now" picture [the top layer superimposed over my "before" picture] was taken a few months ago...I have lost more inches and weight since it was taken. The "Before" picture was taken a little over a year ago.

Last edited by cc48510 : Mon, Sep-08-03 at 16:08.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 17:11

Plan: atkins
Stats: 155/143.0/135 Female 5'4"
BF:?
Progress: 60%

Hey - what are u shooting at? Carbs???
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 17:55

Stats: 167.5/122/115 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

Well many wiser than I have responded already, but I still have to add my 2 cents

I've been tracking my body fat % since almost the beginning, and in the past year I've lost 52 lb, all but 8 of which were fat. If my induction losses (7 lb) were mostly water, then that means I've only lost a couple of pounds of lean muscle. The muscle wasting on a low cal, low fat diet is typically a much higher percentage.

That guy is also completely wrong about never being able to integrate carbs into your diet again. It's true that you can't eat donuts and pizza and french fries at every meal, but jeez, point me to a program where you could do that and not gain weight! For the past couple of months I have been eating a moderate amount of some high carb item (whole grain bread, fruit, granola) several times a week, without any weight gain. Just now I've stepped up the exercise and have increased my carbs even higher, and I'm losing again.

So don't worry, you are not wasting your muscles and you are not going to be trapped in an ultra-low carb plan for the rest of your life. LC just isn't like that!

Sarah
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 18:28

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahO
The muscle wasting on a low cal, low fat diet is typically a much higher percentage.
Right you are, Sarah - roughly 25% of weight lost traditionally is lean mass.

Nice job with those numbers, btw

-N
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 19:39

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by di52
Hey - what are u shooting at? Carbs???

That's funny...Acutally, I'm shooting at the berm at the Swan Creek [TVA Range] in Athens, AL. A 07/C2* I know holds a machinegun shoot there once or twice a year. The Uzi belongs to the guy in the red shirt.

*07/C2 = ATF-Lisenced NFA [Military-Type] Weapons Manufacturer.

The pictures of me from the Labor Day '02 shoot were the only full-body pics I had from when I was near my largest.

Last edited by cc48510 : Mon, Sep-08-03 at 19:40.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 07:58
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24

HEre are reports of two SCIENTIFIC studies that not only show ketosis is safe, but that you preserve or even gain muscle mass with low carb diets:

http://www.wilstar.net/lowcarb/research/research15.htm
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 10:47

Stats: 184/156/160 Female 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 117%
Cool

Do NOT believe everything on the web! If this guy had a real plan, we'd all know about it, doctors would have an opinion, etc, etc, etc. Sounds like he's completely IGNORANT of the actual facts about l/c and just wants to suckker people into giving him $100 (!) so that he can make money-

Don't fall for that stuff-
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 13:18
<---The Crazy One!

Stats: -/-/145 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 25%

He said that we don't lose fat on this woe?? lol..i lost 6% in a month....that wasn't from water weight...was it? lol... i swear...ignorant ppl crack me up!