Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 06:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/160/140 Female 5"3
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default What are your favorite SF candies?

I have gone past many stores with candies and I never know which ones to buy and if they`ll be good.Do you suffer any side effects from them?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 06:15

Stats: 140.0/121.5/125 Female 5'3
BF:going down!
Progress: 123%

Hello,

Well I would have to say Almond Roca. Since I was a little girl that has been my favorite.
Now I can have some of it, because they make it Sugar Free!
Also, The basken Robins sugar free hard suck on candies... there made with Splenda!
I limit my self to no more than 4 peice of sugar free candy a day ( one nice treat after every meal ) other wise I am off and running to the potty... Side effects can be quite lovely.

NoSunNoFun
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 06:23

Stats: 244/217/140 Female 5ft. 5in.
BF:
Progress: 26%

I have just recently bought a bag of the Russell Stover's suger free peanut butter cups, and I realy like them. A serving size according to the bag is four pieces, but zI have found that they are so sweet and satisfying that two pieces is usually my limit for a serving about once a day.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 07:15

Plan: atkins
Stats: 214/177/140 Female 5'6''
BF:35/28/23
Progress: 50%

It's really a crapshoot (heh) - some of them have a really strong laxative effect, some don't. I think you just have to experiment because they all have different reactions, and react differently with different people. I've been fine with stuff other people had trouble with and vice versa.

So far tho, I found the Nestle's SF turtles are indistinguishable from the real ones. And Hershey's makes miniature dark chocolates that are really good.

I found some divine German chocolate bars made for diabetics and sweetened with fructose. Anyone know if they are safe? I ate a few squares and had no bad effects, but I worry they really aren't to be trusted on this diet.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 07:23

Stats: 185/158/145 Female 5' 5 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 68%

I have to stay away from lots of maltitol. Man it gives me gas and the runs big time.

And I have to stay away from chocolates. It's my kryptonite pure and simple.

For those occasions when I really need something sweet, I have a Sweet and Low hard candy. The coffee flavored ones. Man, they are some good! If you like hazelnut, irish cream, amaretto, and french mocha, give these hard candies a try.

However, they still have some carbs, so don't sit and eat the whole bag.

Hugs,
Shirley
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 07:43
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Sugar-free Reeses cups are great, as is the Atkins Peanut Brittle. I allow myself maybe one pb cup (they're the miniature kind) a day, otherwise the sugar alcohols creep up and stall me.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 07:54

Plan: Atkins-Maintenance
Stats: 122/109/110 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 108%

Hi all!
Shirley,
Did you run into any problems eating those coffee flavored candies? I bought 2 bags of them and I regret it so much.
Those gave me the WORST problems out of all the SF candies.
If I eat just one, my stomach will make all sorts of noises all day. Gave me the worst gas.
Unfortunately none of sugar alchohol gives me the laxative effect, which I very much need at the moment

Sugar alcohol affects everyone in their own individual ways, so it's more of a trial and error thing. I stopped eating them all together cuz I couldn't take the pain

One thing I noticed though, chocolates are less 'painful' than eating hard candies. I guess they contain less sugar alcohol?

#8   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 08:52
Registered Member

Stats: 233/226.5/145 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 7%

I do well with any of the chocolates, and horribly with the hard candies or gummies (love them though!)...I decided I need to mix fats with my sugar alcohols to avoid side effects.

My favorites are the Carb Sense chocolate covered espresso beans and the Atkins endulge mint waffer bars - they taste exactly like girl scouts Thin Mints - yummy!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 08:58

BF:
Default To Rose7

The Sweet N Low are about the only low carb candy that doesn't give me your symptoms. I assume because it's sweetened with saccarin. Which has been my choice of artificial sweetener for years.

The Russel Stover and Reeses and Hershey low carb chocolates are really great. But that darned maltitol......

I have discovered that Splenda does trigger anything. No cravings, no icky tummy, etc. It's great stuff.

Hugs,
Shirley
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 09:03

Plan: Modified VLCD
Stats: 456/431.2/185 Male 70"
BF:49%/??/11%
Progress: 9%

Usually any kind of peanut butter cups
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 09:05

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%

A question on the sugar alcohols..

After consuming them, sometimes it gives me a laxative effect. Now isn't that good thing? That would mean that none of it got absorbed into the body... it all got expelled.. right?

Where's everyone buying these SF candies anyway?
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 09:21

BF:
Default SF Candies

I've found them almost everywhere, but Walgreen's and Eckerds are good places. Usually have them right on the same isle with the regular candies, but in a display on their own.

Regarding the laxative affect, I pesonally don't think it's a bad thing. However, it's the gas, cramps, and nausea that comes along with it for me. To those of you who reap the benefits without the side affects, I salute you!

Hugs,
Shirley
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 10:03

Plan: atkins
Stats: 260/250/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 10%

carbolite chocolate bars - the chocolate truffles and mint bar. Russell Stover chocolate mints and the homemade Fern's peanut butter cups.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 10:11

Stats: 192/165/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:Shrinking
Progress: 52%

I had one experience with SF chocolates . . . I'll pass from now on thanks.

Moderation is the key. I have a problem with eating just one chocolate, so I just stay away. Much better than spending the evening in the bathroom.

If I need something sweet, I eat some yummy LC SF ice cream.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 10:26

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 224.5/155/135 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

They are not sugar free & have 5 carbs for 20 - but I love them! They are Lifesavers Mini's. I only have 5 a day!