Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 20:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 207/206/145 Female 64
BF:
Progress:
Smile Wanted to say hi

Just wanted to say hi. I am new to this wol, posting and everything. I have been on the Atkins plan since Tuesday. I have been staying as low on carbs as possible and have only lost 1 lb. Maybe my metabolism is dead. It is discouraging especially to see some who lose 6 lbs in 3 days or so. I think I am going to start tracking food intake and make sure my carbs are low. I have read DANDR but think I am going to buy the book. Has anyone else had the problem with slow start and how did you get past this?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 20:32
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Without an idea of what you're eating, it's impossible to say. Could you post a list of what you've been eating? Maybe someone will be able to spot a problem.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 20:50

Plan: Atkins- OWL/Pre-M
Stats: 165/144/140 Female 70 inches (5' 10")
BF:30%/19.28%/19%?
Progress: 84%

jlagioia,
Welcome to the forum and best of luck to you.

One place that can really help in tracking your food is fitday. Go here http://www.fitday.com/

It really helps me keep good track of carbs, percentages, calories, and my weight and activities. Its a great site and is really handy.

Also, until you get the book check out these 2 links to Atkins. Browse the rest of the site also. But, get the book its much more in depth. I have also seen that there are numerous dated copies of the Atkins books in stores so try to get the lastest edition.
http://atkins.com/Archive/2001/12/15-325810.html
and
http://atkins.com/Archive/2001/12/15-464579.html

Again, welcome aboard. Don't be afraid to ask questions, there are a lot of friendly people here and a lot of information on this forum.
Lori
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 20:59

BF:
Progress:

Thanks to both of you. I will begin to track what I am eating because I really couldn't go back and tell you. I really do feel better but I sure do miss the chips. I could live (or die) on them
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 21:01

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 283/179/150 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 78%

Hi Jlagioia!

Welcome to the low carb forum!

That is exciting to hear you are starting this new way of eating! One thing I can think of though is that you say you are staying as low on carbs as possible. You know, you should try and stay as close to the 20 grams of carbs as possible. Zero or five carbs sometimes causes people to lose less and more slowly than if they eat the 20 that Dr. Atkins recommends.

you could increase carbs by making sure you eat a variety of veggies.

Also you want to make sure to drink lots and lots of water to flush out that fat and do not eat any of those fake low carb things like bars, which have been known to stall people or cause them to lose more slowly.

A good site to use is www.fitday.com which you can keep track of how much calories, fat, carbs you are eating daily which can help you get an idea of if you are getting enough calories, enough carbs, etc.

Good luck!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 21:05

Stats: 202/128/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 96%

Hi and welcome! If you have only been low carbing since Tuesday that is less than a week and its too early to make any judgements. Also, you don't want to get your carbs too too low...you should be eating your salads and allowed veggies. Induction allows 20 carbs per day. Follow the induction rules for the 2 weeks you are suppose to and see where you are then. Are you drinking your water? Definitely make sure that you are following the rules of induction by going to the atkins website or getting the book. I do recommend getting the book. It is an invaluable tool to me. Good luck!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 21:09

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 161/130/132 Female 5'7"
BF:40%/?/We'll see
Progress: 107%

Hi jlagioia!

Welcome and congratulations on your first pound lost! I would not call it a slow start... It means something IS working. If I were you, I would definitely read the book. I found it a fountain of information and learned things about weight loss and health in general that I had no idea about. Besides, it is easier to know what you are doing if you have read it.

Agnes
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 21:09
Contributing Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 225/210/125 Female 61
BF:40
Progress: 15%
Default Welcome

It takes time to get used to eating low carbs, but you should stay within the 20 carb range. Drink plenty of water and start walking or get some type of exercise routine going.

Fitday.com is a great place to start logging in your food, it's free. Good luck and this is a great source of support these boards.

Good luck and remember it works.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 21:15

BF:
Progress:

I do drink a lot of water, not a big soda drinker. I have one diet mountain dew in the morning to get me started. The veggies may be the trick, don't keep a lot at home and probably not getting enough in. Yesterday had at least 3 cups of salad with dressing but will definitely start tracking. The exercise thing is another story, I know I need it but at this weight all I can do at this point is think about it and beat myself up for not doing it. I want to get a handle on the food and the exercise is my next goal.