Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 17:12

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 417/213/117 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default Onions are evil!

Who would have thought it??? After this many days of atkins you would think I would know better. Without realizing it I started eating onions with my burgers for something different. Suddenly CRAVE city. I couldn't figure out what my problem was then all of a sudden it dawned on me (are onions allowed???) Once again I just assumed b/c it was a veggie it was safe. Then I broke out my book and saw it is "acceptable" but limited to 1 cup a day because it has.....get this!!.....over 14 carbs per cup!!!!!! YIKES!!!! I almost DIED. I would never eat an onion at that price. Although it may not do this to most people for me it was a definite trigger. So I cut out the onions and VOILA! No more cravings. I am constantly amazed at how truly scientific our bodies really are. No more of me thinking I am hungry just because I'm that kind of person. There is ALWAYS a reason!!! Our bodies work just like he says they work in that book.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 17:19

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast
Progress: 91%

yes..I too think perhaps thats what threw me off the diet for a day... I actually couldnt figure out what it was until your post but now I see it...I had just bought onions and started eating them 2 days before I started craving like crazy adn went off.... *sigh* I think I will throw my onions away tonight--totally not worth it!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 17:20
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Good thing I can't eat many onions....for me, they're "self-limiting" if you know what I mean.... I would never have thought they were so loaded, although I just read they're kind of high on the glycemic index...

Applause to you for figuring out the problem!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 17:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205/?/160 Female 66 inches
BF:Who knows?!
Progress: 53%

THAT explains something.. I had a bit of onion in my salad this afternoon (forgot about that) and within an hour my stomach was all bloated and I felt "off" .. like I felt like I had gained back 10lbs all of a sudden... it didn't give me cravings, but it really made me feel terrible. I'll have to remember that for next time. I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't handle onions well!

Blessings Armywife!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 17:26
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

I love onions, but limit to ¼ cup, no more. I find if I slice them very thinly, it seems to stretch them out so I can get more flavour.

Sorry they were such a trigger for you. Green onions (scallions) are lower, about half .. so that might be an option for you if you really want the onion flavour. Because they're not as mature, they haven't had time for the sugar to develop .. so it's possible they might not have the same trigger-potential for you.

Just a thought

Doreen
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 17:47
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

The only way I use them anymore is just a "shake" of the chopped, freeze-dried ones, or a "dash" of onion powder. I get a little of the flavor, while not getting the *ahem* effects....
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 17:51
ArtificiallyFlavored

Stats: 260/252/200 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 13%

I probably need to watch the onion intake as well. I do love them... LOL. *sigh*, yes I know that only goes to prove the bit about the foods you love being the ones that are bad for you... LOL

Going to buy green onions from now on.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 18:16

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%

I haven't touched much of it, but thanks for letting us know! I'll steer clear of it in the future. Who would have thought a veggie would have so many carbs in it?
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 18:38
"Natural Mystic"

Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

I love onions but I only use a little (one thin slice) and very rarely because I saw their carb count.

Peace
red
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 19:15

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Other options

You might try shallot (less sugar, more intense flavor, so you need much less from it, than from onion), or better: minced chive or Chinese chive - both have onion flavor, but green carb only.
If you use green onion, try to use only the green part - has the same flavor as the white part.

Last edited by Galadriell : Sun, Sep-07-03 at 19:17.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 07:30

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 183/145.0/135 Female 5'6
BF:23
Progress: 79%

I saw a cooking show some years ago wherein the chef sliced a large onion in half, left it as is, and sauteed it in the oil just for the flavor and removed it b/c her family didn't like onions. That's an option. Or in salad, 1 thin slice diced finely and spread about.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 08:14

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 298/270/150 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 19%

I miss my onions!!! Last year (last time I lc'ed) I used to saute half an onion in butter with my hamburger or steak everyday!! Boy - that was a mistake!!! That was that part of my downfall last year!! Now I know better.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 08:14

Stats: 145/130/125 Female 5'4''
BF:don't know
Progress: 75%

I'm confused! The Atkins carb counter lists 7.5 carbs and 42 calories for one whole onion. That doesn't seem so bad to me and i eat them (sauted) in a lot of my meals. Where did you get the 14 carbs per cup values and how many calories go with that? Are they really that bad?? Please help, i eat a lot of them and would really miss them Thanks, Meagan
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 08:28

Plan: Modified VLCD
Stats: 456/431.2/185 Male 70"
BF:49%/??/11%
Progress: 9%

I usually end up using the dehydrated onions on things since it doesn't take as much and it seems to be lower in carbs
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 08:34
Champagne Paulie

Plan: My Fitness Pal
Stats: 156.2/123.8/120 Female 5 ft 4 ins
BF:Got some, thanks
Progress: 90%

I love onions, but tend to have scallions in salads and chopped onions in shepherds pie and chilli etc.

Fortunately, I haven't had any adverse effects so far.