Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-03, 20:15

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 151/148/125 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default CAD...is there a point to the 1 hr. time limit?

I know that it has something to do with the impact on blood sugar or something. But does that mean I should only eat high carb foods at 1 or my 3 main meals? Cuz I eat 6 times a day, snacks today were 1/2 apple, some popcorn...Is this bad? Do I need to only eat high carb foods at certain times, all at once? Im doing Atkins, not CAD...but I thought the rule might apply...Help?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-03, 20:19
The evolution of me

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Not really because on CAD for the two other meals you are to have daily, there are no artificial sweetners, no snacks, and caffeine only one time a day and consumed within 15 minutes or only with your reward meal.

The key to the hour of higher carbs is that you will control the insulin spike from eating within the time frame. Having atkins foods for your other meals or snacking can cause more then that one surge and it will not work the same.

I hope I explained that coherently.

And FYI - apples and popcorn aren't allowed until way into phase 2 or 3.

Last edited by lkonzelman : Sat, Sep-06-03 at 20:20.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-03, 20:45
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I suggest you get your hands on a copy of the book, or check out the overview in the CAD forum. I've read the book, and it's WAY too involved to explain in one post!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 06:38

BF:

hold on,
Having atkins foods for your other meals or snacking can cause more then that one surge and it will not work the same.

I dont understand that part...? I just read in the newer Atkins for Life book snacking is fine, even |
5-6 meals instead of 3 big ones is fine. But for the lists of snacks he only lists the LC foods. I am in OWL/Maintenance so I can have popcorn, 1/2 a small apple, etc. I am supposed to be in maintenance but am trying to transition slowly from induction. I guess I was just wondering if theres a certain time of day I should be eating the higher carb foods. If I should eat all my higher carb foods at 1 meal, and stick with the lower stuff the rest of the day? I like Atkins and dont want to switch over to CAD.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 06:49

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

El, if you're not looking to change plans to CAD then the best time to have your carbs is spread throughout the day - not in one big serving at one time. What is bad about insulin is not that first rise that happens when you have carbs, but the consequent ones that come after, if you over induldge. That's what got many of us in trouble in the first place. Lots of carbs = lots of insulin, blood surgar spikes and is then brought back down, plummeting in many cases, by excessive insulin, which leaves us hungry very shortly afterward - so then more carbs are ingested because of how hungry we are. It's the cycle that causes all the problems. With CAD you're having higher carbs at one meal and that's it - no cycle. Also CAD encourages you to eat 3 meals a day - not 5 or 6.

With Atkins Maintenance you gradually increase your carbs with 'good' carbs - unprocessed ones. You spread them out throughout - you don't have huge amounts with anyone meal and you're not dealing with large amounts of insulin being released. Also, having gone through Induction and OWL you've helped repair insulin resistance and your sensitivity improves, meaning less insulin is necessary to do the job.

If there should happen to be one meal where you know you're going to have higher carbs then I would suggest you have it as early in the day as possible - insulin sensitivity is best then and you have the opportunity to burn those carbs off and there is less likelihood of them being stored as fat.

Nat
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 08:52
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

At the risk of creating more confusion, the Heller's recommend that the RM - reward meal - be eaten later in the day. Having the RM earlier may prime you for craving more carbohydrates throughout the day. Your other two meals they term craving reducing and they are low in carbs. There's a reason why their plan is called the Carbohydrate Addicts Diet.

With PP for example, it's recommended that you spread your carbs evenly throughout the day and always eat a carb food with a protein food to moderate the effect of the carbs. Half an apple or popcorn does not quite cut it as an Atkins snack. Those things eaten alone will cause an insulin spike.

Atkins lays out what foods to eat on the maintenance ladder. Popcorn and other grains are one of the last things to be included.
Quote:
I just read in the newer Atkins for Life book snacking is fine, even | 5-6 meals instead of 3 big ones is fine.
Don't start blending plans on heresay. Read the book first, study the CAD/CALP forum and ask questions about it in the CAD/CALP forum. Even though there are people on other plans who have read it and understand it, you're not going to get the benefit of experience from those folks who follow it first hand.

Karen

Last edited by Karen : Sun, Sep-07-03 at 09:04.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 09:42

BF:

Okie dokie...1 more time now...Always eat a higher carb food with a source of protein or fat. Today I had 1/2 a small apple with a tablespoon of peanutbutter as a 10:00 snack. I eat when I wake up 7:30, 10:00, 12:30, 3:00, 5:30, and a small light snack at around 7:00 if I want. The apple was on the list of foods to eat regularly in the Atkins for Life book. Popcorn is in the eat moderately section, but I didnt think a small handful would really matter (and it was to appease my mom as well, shes really worried). I understand now that I need to...

Introduce carbs in the form of vegetables and fruit first, grains later.. off of the eat regularly and eat moderately lists.
-Does that mean I cant have popcorn once a week, or some Kashi cereal once a week, as long as Im staying in my carb count.

I understand since I am on the Atkins diet that the carbs should be spread throughout the day. I want to stay on Atkins, not mix and match, or switch over.

I eat even when Im not hungry, is this okay? Im staying under 1400 cal. and in my carb levels (25-30 NET at the moment...Im going to start 30-35 in a week or so). I have to eat all the time in order to get those numbers in. Is that alright? Thanks again...
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 12:06

Stats: 156/135/128 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 75%

El,
Congratulations on venturing with some carbs!!!!! I think you are doing great. Apple and peanut butter is a good combo. Like Karen said, always eat your carb with a protein to balance out.
You can venture with the fruits that are low in the GI (glycemic index). There is a book that list the GI of all foods. For example, fruits with a low GI are: all berries, grapefruit. Apples have a medium GI. The lower the GI, the less insulin response. A good comination is a fruit with a piece of cheese.
Remember that when you increase carbs you have to lower the fat intake. This is the way you will end up eating for life. Moderate fat with low GI carbs.
Hope it helps a little!
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 12:29
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
I eat even when Im not hungry, is this okay?

Atkins advises not to go for more than 6 hours without eating. I think it's OK to skip a meal every now and then, but it's not OK to not eat as a method of weight control.

Quote:
Does that mean I cant have popcorn once a week, or some Kashi cereal once a week, as long as Im staying in my carb count.

That's entirely up to you. If you find it triggers you to want more carbs, I would stay away from it. Some people have a response to it and some don't. A better choice with the apple would be a piece of cheese. Peanuts are carbs so your matching a carb with a carb.

I also don't think it's necessary to keep your calories so low because it will eventually work against you. The important thing is to find the balance with fat, protein and carbs. You can still have small, snacky meals with more fat. For most people, fat is what makes Atkins work so beautifully.

Karen
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 13:49

BF:

Okay I got ya! Im gonna save this thread and read it over and over. Are there any other choices to pair up with an apple? I have no problem with cravings anymore, so I guess the popcorn and Kashi here and there are fine. LatinGirl, do you happen to remember the name of that book? I know the Atkins for Life book has something that they made up, some ladder...Hey karen, in maintenance youre still supposed to be eating lots of fat? I know for OWL, and induction it was like 70% recommended. Someone told me high fat high carb is bad? Now I just need to figure out what foods to snack on that are higher in fat, that I can also match up with some fruit, or a veggie! This stuff sometimes seems so complicated, even though I know its not. Thanks, as always!
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 13:56
Forum Founder

BF:

Yes. High carb + high fat = not good. Maintenance carbs + fat = good. You still need fat becuase you don't want to be getting the majority of your calories from carbs.

If you do a Google search for glycemic index rick mendoza you'll find a glycemic index list on his site.

Karen
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 17:02

BF:

Thanks Karen. Im sorry for being such a pain. Im off to find the website when Im done here. Ive read over and over in the Atkins for Life book about low GI foods and such, still havent quite grasped the GL thing, but thats no biggie. Is there a book/website that explains what is happening in your body when you eat this kind of thing? How to not get fat again? I thought your body used carbs for energy first...So if Im eating say, 40 Net carbs a day, where does all that fat manage in? If I'm eating say, 55-65% fat....Is that a good number while on maintenance? I know your percentages are a personal thing, but whats the highest amount you should eat in a day? I guess im reverting back to the, *lots of fat is bad* thing, now that Im eating more carbs. What are *maintenance carbs*? Thanks AGAIN!
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 20:42

Stats: 156/135/128 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 75%

The name of the book is "The New Glucose Revolution" by Jennie Brand-Miller and others. I got mine out of the library.
As Karen said, you can also get the GI out of the Mendoza site. I still don't understand the GL completely either; I just go by low GI.
You asked again about high fat on maintenance. I believe, and others please jump in if I'm wrong, that when you start increasing your carbs you have to decrease a little the fat. High fat with high carbs in not good.
Others please comment if I'm wrong!