Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: Who would be interested in the following special recipes:
Kosher LC recipes for High Holy Days 7 46.67%
Traditional Jewish-style LC recipes 9 60.00%
Gluten-free LC recipes that are kosher 2 13.33%
Gluten-free LC substitutions for wheat, etc. 6 40.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 11:08
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins + D'Adamo for blood type
Stats: 210/200/165 Female inches: 5'5
BF:
Progress: 22%
Question KOSHER, GLUTEN-FREE LC Recipes

Anyone have LC recipes for High Holy Days coming up that are kosher and gluten-free? No honey, no apples, no challah, UGH!!!

I'm having company for Rosh Hashanah and would love to be able to eat some of what I will be serving, other than plain roast beef -- sweet 'n sour meatballs, maybe, or stuffed cabbage? What can substitute for the filler of breadcrumbs in the meatballs or rice in the stuffed cabbage?

Any ideas, for every day too, are heartily appreciated!

ILM
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 13:24
Registered Member

BF:
Red face Kosher, gluten-free, low-carb recipes?

I've been on and off the computer all day. No responses so far. Maybe later.

I'm feeling just a bit overwhelmed. Jewish holidays are fast approaching, and I cannot prepare my usual fare -- it just isn't LC or gluten-free (the gluten allergy is a diagnosis that's new since last year).

I'll probably still be on Induction for the next month or two, at the rate I am NOT losing weight! So, anyone have ideas? I really need some.

ILM
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 13:40
Kid R

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: // Female 5"1'
BF:Too darn much!
Progress: 90%

Gosh, what a tough question! Could you possibly use vegetables as filler? They won't have the same texture, but maybe if you diced green beans really fine, you could use them in place of the rice? Or how about grated cabbage for the sweet and sour meatballs? (Grated carrots are another idea, but you're on induction, right?)

The only gluten-free breadcrumb substitute I can think of would be to use a very small amount of gluten-free bread. Or, I suppose, you could use nuts (but that's not induction food, either).

If I have any more ideas, I'll post. Right now the veggie substitute thing seems to be the most workable. Good luck with your menu!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 12:09

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 283/179/150 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 78%

I no longer celebrate jewish holidays after my Jewish grandfather passed away but still enjoy jewish food.

As for the sweet and sour meatballs I have found a recipe that tastes pretty good kind of a mix between sweet and sour sauce and bbq sauce and tasted good on meatballs.

here's a link: (sorry I am not sure if it is kosher or not, or if not maybe it could be adapted?)

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/cgi-b...Sauces+and+Dips

One thing that I really miss is kugel. I have no idea how to even start trying to find a low carb substitute for that!!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 15:58
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for the responses. RoseTattoo's idea for using a veggie instead of rice in the meatballs is a good one. I'll have to ponder on which veggie to try.

The sauce is another problem altogether. Maybe a base of V8 with ThickenThin to make it thicker and Sucralose for sweetening and lemon for souring. I bought some Atkins sauces, but they are used so sparingly that I wouldn't be able to stew anything in them.

I could just make a beef stew, something my family loves, but it isn't very traditional. Rosh Hashana encourages round food, round challah, round meatballs, not sure why. I'll provide apples dipped in honey for my family, but I won't eat it unless I dump the diet for that night (I'm thinking about it).

Thanks, etoiles, for the link. I'll check it out. As far as kugel, I know the traditional potato or noodle ones are things of the past, but I've eaten some interesting kugels made from zuccini or other squash. I wonder if spaghetti squash would work?

It might even be low carb with all the eggs in it. Atkins Bake Mix ought to be able to replace a bit of flour for body. Seasoning would be up to you, I don't think veggies would take kindly to the sweet cinnamon kind, but the salt and pepper variety could be copied. Hmm, I just thought of something, what about pumpkin, with the sweetening and cinnamon, made like a kugel? Kugel, when translated, means pudding. Might be really good.

I hope more ideas and recipes will come along. So far, you've got my brain going at least. Thanks.

ILM
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 16:56
Registered Member

BF:

I was at the website,

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/cgi-b...Sauces+and+Dips

for about an hour and printed up a lot of recipes. The best for me looks like the one where sauerkraut is used as "rice" in a ground beef stuffed cabbage dish.

Thanks for the website, it's a good one!

ILM
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Sep-20-03, 13:48
Airy Cats Eyes

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 198/180/171 Female 5'5"
BF:diminishing daily
Progress: 67%

L'Shanah Tovah ILM---I was wondering if stuffed cabbage might be good--I think there are some recipes.
Also, cauliflower makes a good substitute for rice--use it in a kugel--you can make it pareve or dairy I guess.
Welcome to the list! Come visit my journal any time you like...I don't know many other Jewish folk on the forum--wonder if we could post in an off-topic area.

New Years Wishes! May you be inscribed for life and have a sweet (but not sugary!) year!
Eri Z
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Sep-21-03, 11:04
Registered Member

BF:
Thumbs up I'd like to set up a Kosher discussion group.

Hi Eri Z,

L'shana tova tikatavu v'tikatamu to you and yours (I hope I spelled that ok).

I started a "thread" for kosher, etc., because I have no idea how to set up a topic heading. The needs of a kosher dieter are a bit different, so I think it would make for a good, though not necessarily busy, topic of its own.

I did a major search and found wild rice in one supermarket, which is much lower in carbs than white or brown rice (of course, it's not a real rice either). Also, I tried V8 as a base for cabbage soup, with lemon and garlic. It was very tasty and low in carbs too.

Because my grandson and daughter will be here for Rosh Hashana, I'll have to make potatoes or some such high carb food for them. But, I'll make only a little, so I won't be too tempted.

I'm kind of looking forward to the challenge of keeping the carbs low and the taste and nutrition high. Should be interesting. I haven't thought up a dessert yet. And I've no idea what the carb count is for pomegranate.

Keep me posted,
Ina
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 05:34

Plan: prev atkins, now NHE
Stats: 174/140/133 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 83%

I'm celiac and low carbing and I use ground nuts like almonds in recipes instead of breadcrumbs or matzo meal - they do the same job of soaking up moisture in stuffings.

I don't know whether any heat stable sweetners are kosher (I've just looked at my jar of splenda and it doesn't say) but there are some great kosher and passover kosher cake recipes in Claudia Roden's cookbooks which use nuts instead of grain products - I've adapted those very successfully by substituting splenda for the sugar.

let me know if you'd like me to post some actual recipes - they do come out really well, but are better after a couple of days as the nuts soften with storage. Also the recipes with a bit of fat like melted butter or oil work better as splenda cakes can be quite dry compared to sugar ones.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 08:45
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I'm a little late but something that works really well as a binder is TVP, or textured vegetable protein. Natural food stores carry it and it's used to make vegetarian meat-like products as well as an extender for meat.

Karen
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 14:01
Registered Member

BF:
Talking thank you so much!

I'm taking Friday off to cook. Your suggestions are really GREAT!

I've gone off Induction rather than quit altogether. Too few carbs, and my body went into starvation mode, and no weight would come off, and I felt lousy.

So, with a few more carbs now, I can really make use of some of your ideas.

I've printed out what you sent, and would LOVE recipes.

A happy and healthy new year to you all!

Ina
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-03, 04:06

Plan: prev atkins, now NHE
Stats: 174/140/133 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 83%
Default second attempt

I cannot believbe it - I spent about an hour typing in some recipes and hit the wrong button and the entire reply disappeared!

so second time attempt and let's hope this one works

This is a sephardic passover cake from claudia roden's book "teh book of jewish food" which is a wonderful book exploring the history and settlement of jews through their food. It's about 50% text and 50% recipes.

chocolate cake

original recipe

9oz dark chocolate
4oz butter
6 eggs separated
3oz sugar
4 oz ground almonds

I substitute 6oz of bakers sugar free chocolate and therefore need to make up for 3oz sugar from the original chocolate plus substitute for 3oz ofthe actual sugar. That makes 0.86 cups splenda in total which is 1/2 cup plus 1/3 cup.

melt the chocolate and butter in a double boiler

whisk the egg yolks and all the splenda until pale and thick.

fluff up the ground almonds with a fork and then fold in with the chocolate mixture into the egg yolks.

in a separate grease free bowl whisk the egg whites until stiff. fold into the mix.

grease a 9" non stick pan - pour in the mix and bake at 350degrees for 45 minutes.

CR notes that some people add the grated zest of an orange.

Her book also has several cakes based on ground almonds and eggs. I have notg tried them but this is one of my favourite cake recipes which is very similar to her recipes. I make this all the while, and provided that you make it with a light touch it will always come out well. You can also use it for muffins in paper cases with or witout blueberries. It is based on a recipe from Peter Thomsons's gluten free cookery.

4 oz butter (or 1/2 cup sunflower oil)
1 cup splenda
4 large eggs
7 oz ground almonds
optional - 1 tsp vanilla or almond essence

melt the butter and leave to cool

whisk the eggs and splenda until light and doubled in bulk

fold in the melted butter and almonds ( careful because the butter pools at the bottom and you need to keep stirring longer than you think)

pour into a greased non stick 8" cake tin, or a ring tin (bundt tin??) or paper muffin cases. yield will depend a bit on how hard you stirred and so you may have enough left over for a muffin or two.

bake for 30 - 45 minbs at 350 degrees ( muffins 20 mins) the top of the cake should be golden and just coming away at the sides.

LEAVE IN THE TIN FOR TEN MINUTES otherwise the cake will tear as it comes out.

cool on a wire rack.

this will keep for days - muffins up to 10 days in ziplock bag in fridge.

this is nice for parties made in a ring with berries and cream in the middle.

happy baking

Fiona
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Sep-28-03, 13:14

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 210/201/130 Female 5ft.2in.
BF:
Progress: 11%

Shana Tova!
It's after Rosh Hashana here in Israel, and I just came across this thread. I think a thread for kosher LC recipes is a great idea and perhaps some of the experienced and professional chefs on the site (Karen?) could help us with some substitutions.
The chocolate cake recipe looks wonderful. My fear is that I won't be able to control the portions I eat. I don't know if I'm ready for that just yet.

Goldie
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-03, 12:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/192.5/180 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

I'm so glad I found this thread. I keep Kosher and the holidays are very frustrating. For Rosh Hashannah me and DH tried to be very careful, but we just couldn't resist Matzo ball soup, so we split one. We each had a small piece of bread with a drop of honey. No dessert tho. We knew that would push us over the edge.

For most of my traditional recipes I find that leaving the high carb ingredients out doesn't make that big of a difference in taste/texture. For stuffed cabbage I just don't add the rice in the meat mix. You can't even tell. It's wrapped in cabbage so who cares if it falls apart? I don't like kugel so it's not an issue for me. I just don't make it. My MIL does, and I just don't eat it. For Hanukkah I think I'll try some different veggies for the Latkes. Maybe zucchini or a mixture of veggies. I have to add in matzo meal, so if I can cut down the carbs with the veggies, I won't be adding that much back in with the matzo meal.

I'm even thinking ahead to Passover. Thats going to be the challenging holiday. I've resigned myself to just try and be as selective as possible. At the 2 seders we have to eat matzo..but thats all thats required. I will have soup as it's one of my weaknesses LOL

By the time Passover rolls around I will be pretty much (hopefully) near or at goal, so I will have increased my carbs up from where I am now. Desserts for Passover will also be hard. I happened to look at the nutritional info on a box of potato starch. OMG I had no idea it was that bad!

I know that with careful planning I'll survive the 8 days of Passover...maybe with no constipation. Wouldn't that be a treat? LOL
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Oct-05-03, 12:20
Registered Member

BF:
Wink A happy new year and an easy fast.....

Hi Fiona, Goldie, and Janey,

Just got back to my home computer. I'm on a computer all day at work, but have not had time since Rosh Hashana to check my personal email.

Fiona, I copied and pasted your recipes into a Word file and will put it into a special folder I keep for recipes to try when I can. I LOVE to cook, but have little time with a full time job that sometimes runs more than full time.

Goldie, I too have a problem limiting chocolate once I get a taste of it. Wonder if there's an addictive component?

Janey, last year I was diagnosed as 20% gluten intolerant, so matza was a no-no this year for me. I didn't even try to fulfill my "obligation" to eat the proscribed amount. A friend of mine has a really big gluten allergy (much worse than mine), and she ordered oat matzos. I'm not sure that would work for me, since my reaction to oatmeal (big bellyache!) was what gave my allergist the first clue about my gluten problems.

Could be, once all the other stuff is out of my system, oat matza might be a tolerable alternative, but I have no idea what the carb count is.

Chicken soup is a low carb food, so you could have it often. Seems the trick is to take out the carrots and stuff and not eat them (what a waste!). The matza balls are the real problem. I wonder if Atkins low carb pasta would be a satisfying substitute? I haven't tried it. Is it a wheat product? There are lots of recipes for soups and such that use Atkins products. I printed some from the website.

My Rosh Hashana dinner did not impress my daughter or grandson.
I made turkey meatballs with flax seed "flour" and eggs and seasoning; baked them in the oven, then put them into a sauce I made from V8 + sucralose + lemon juice. The carbs were low enough, and I liked the sweet 'n sour taste, but my daughter and grandson would have preferred plain roast beef. Next time.....

I did make a dynamite cabbage slaw (unfortunately, I found out that neither of them likes cabbage in any form). I used a slightly curly Chinese cabbage, cut into thin strips, added mayonaise + white wine vinegar + sucralose + a few raisins (VERY few) + some sliced almonds. It tasted great!

I found a low carb bread at Trader Joe's that is 4 grams carb and 1 gram of fiber per slice. Wheat gluten is in it, also soy, almonds, flax, and oat. It's made by "Food for Life" www.foodforlife.com, and has a slightly bitter aftertaste.

I've made French toast and used Atkins syrup on it for a pleasant change (obviously not for Pesach). One slice seems to be quite filling. I've never quite gotten used to sugar substitutes, though sucralose is not bad. However, my throat feels dry after using it, not sure if that's the usual for others.

Weight Watchers white bread is 9 grams of carb and 2 grams of fiber per slice, the lowest of any regular commercial brand I've found. It could make for a nice half of a grilled cheese sandwich on occasion, but is certainly made of wheat.

Not using potato anything is hardest for me any time, not just for Pesach, but I've stuck with it. I really miss potato chips!

I made my own cheese chips, with very yummy results! I had a package of kosher low fat Jack cheese slices. I broke two slices into 1" pieces, laid them onto a sheet of parchment paper that I had put into a frying pan, put it into the oven at about 250 and didn't time it. When it smelled good, I checked it. The little rectangles of cheese had melted down round, flat (with some bubbling), brownish, and NOT stuck to the paper. I let them cool a while. They peeled up very easily, and tasted salty and crispy and very good! The only ingredient was cheese, nothing else.

One last recipe note: I cannot eat wheat pasta, but CAN eat rice or corn pasta, or any kind of rice or corn -- all are not allowed on Atkins. That pretty much left me sadly pasta-less, rice-less, and corn-less. Ok, what's left? I scaped some baked spaghetti squash left over (no, they didn't like that either) from Rosh Hashana (7 carbs per cup) into a curry I had made (low carb, of course) and found the texture and taste to be incredibly pasta-like! It reheats even better than when first made. Spaghetti squash is going to be a staple for me from now on.

I've begun to see a new Kaiser HMO doctor -- an acupuncturist with expertise in alternative medicine of all kinds. She suggested I integrate Dr. D'Adamo's diet for blood type (I'm B+) into my Atkins program (which she really likes). This would limit me even more, but I'm gradually working my way toward following it along with low carbing.

The premise is that each blood type assimilates foods differently and in a predictable manner. Supposedly, once we "eat right for our blood type," the excess weight comes off without any other effort needed.

The "beneficials" and "neutrals" are what you CAN eat, and there's a big list of "avoids" that you CAN'T eat. I found several informative websites with a search on "Dr. Peter D'Adamo diet". I also took out a couple of his books from the local library. Atkins is easier, but I haven't had a lot of weight loss. Maybe I need to do BOTH, a challenging regimen when also incorporating gluten-free (or almost) and kosher, but not impossible.

Keep posting. I think we really have a useful string going here.

Ina