Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 10:56
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%
Default "Introducing: The Atkins Man"

Introducing: The Atkins Man

Michele Cohen

POSTED: 4:36 p.m. EDT September 3, 2003
UPDATED: 10:37 a.m. EDT September 4, 2003

link to article

The Atkins man was once a rare species -- looked on as bizarre, irrational and insanely unhealthy. But today, he is among good company.

It seems every person who has tried a diet and failed is wooed by the siren call of Mr. Atkins "Eat meat, cheese, butter, and eggs and watch the fat melt away."

Basically, Atkins figured out that the body first uses carbohydrates, before burning fat. So, nix the carbs and you're only burning fat.

The idea isn't new. Many physical trainers tout low-carb, high-protein foods for their ability to help build muscle. And historically, cultures that subside primarily on high protein foods have less incidence of obesity.

Still, I couldn't believe my eyes as the maid of honor in my wedding shrank nearly 10 dress sizes. Strangers stare at my now-slim mother. And my fiance lost 20 pounds on this artery-clogging diet.

Then, the biggest jaw-dropper yet: a study in the New England Journal of Medicine pitted the Atkins diet against more traditional low-fat diets and found the folks on the Atkins program lost twice as much weight AND had lower cholesterol levels.

Weight loss seemed to level off after the first six months, according to the study.

So now, I have no reason to complain about the rotating menu at home ... chicken, fish, beef, chicken, fish, beef. My Atkins man is satisfied with the basics... the problem is, I'm not. And those of you who cook for someone on the Atkins diet knows it sucks all the fun out of dinner.

But it's not only the cooking, the eating is odd, too. My Atkins man engages in some strange behavior. He picks the corn kernels out of his taco salad, eats a hamburger with a fork and knife, and denies any dessert unless it's made with sugar substitute and without flour. He usually makes himself a snack of Cool Whip and peanut butter. My Atkins man smears full-fat mayo on his steak and pours ranch dressing on everything else.

His strange habits are not just limited to food. The Atkins man drinks a lot of water. He is always thirsty because he eats so many salty foods. You can usually pick out an Atkins person in a crowd: he's the one shifting his weight from leg to leg because he has to use a restroom.

A small price to pay for a large weight loss.

And, since I'm trying to look presentable for my upcoming wedding, I decided to try the diet myself. As a breakfast lover, my first obstacle was cereal and milk. Both contain carbs. So I substitute full fiber flakes for cereal, and heavy cream for milk. It was not the same.

Second challenge: chocolate. Several low-carb companies make good chocolate bars without the sugar and carbs, and you can eat as many of them as you want. The only problem, they'll send you running to the bathroom.

I survived week one on cheese, meat, blueberries and faux chocolate bars (yes, stand back!).

My word of wisdom to those of you who may want to attempt this diet: invest in some mint gum. Stinky, smelly breath is an unfortunate side effect of the Atkins diet.

After a week, I started to feel more toned ... a little less flabby. The low-carb diet isn't something I expect to stay on for a long time. As my mother always says, if God wanted us to be Atkins men and women, he wouldn't have invented pizza, brownies or french fries.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 11:17

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
As my mother always says, if God wanted us to be Atkins men and women, he wouldn't have invented pizza, brownies or french fries.

None of the above 3 foods could be made without expeller presses, stone grinders, and other special refining equipment. In fact, the oils used to cook French Fries aren't even natural. They are artificially hydrogenated. Potatoes only naturally exist in a small area of the Andes mountains. They do not naturally grow anywhere else.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 12:05

Plan: parts of them all
Stats: 181/166/165 Male 5' 8"
BF:25%/9%/12%
Progress: 94%

Quote:
As my mother always says, if God wanted us to be Atkins men and women, he wouldn't have invented pizza, brownies or french fries.

Nor would he have placed 7-11's throughout the plains of prehistoric Africa. Oh, Thank Heaven!

Personally, I'll remain a strict vegetarian: each pound of meat I eat is created by umpteen pounds of vegetation.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 14:39
Registered Member

Stats: 277/223/180 Male 71
BF:
Progress: 56%

Tis a shame the author is surrounded by all these Atkins dieters, yet doesn't seem to have a very clear understanding of the diet's guidelines. Starting the article off with the classic meat 'n cheese misconception, how many veggies do you see referred to in the article? And since when is one supposed to have fruit and fake chocolate during the first week of induction? Didn't SOMEBODY in the author's sphere actually buy the book? It's bad 'nuff when someone partially botches this diet in private, but to broadcast their partial ignorance in a public forum and disseminate the flawed instructions... that's journalistic irresponsibility. And that's why I emailed her at:
mcohen~hearst.com
and cc'ing her masters at:
dennews~thedenverchannel.com
consisting of a lengthier version of my above comments, deservedly chastising her inexcusable misinforming the public.

Last edited by GaryW : Fri, Sep-05-03 at 14:54.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 07:24

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 271/217/186 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 64%

This article does point out a couple of important issues regarding successful low carb eating,
I think.

1. This is a much, much more successful WOE for those who cook for themselves, and who
also have the energy and the creativity to make interesting and varied dishes that avoid carb
loading. Apparently the authors "Atkins Man" has not discovered the importance of salad greens,
herbs, asparagus, broccoli, spinach, berries of all kinds, sugar free tomato sauce and all manner
of high fat/no sugar deserts. A brief review of Karen's marvelous collection of recipes on this
Board reveals how lame, and ignorant, her approach to low carb eating really is.

2. There is very little writing regarding the importance of supplements, especially during the
weight loss portion of the Atkins WOE. It seems to me that this is difficult subject because there
is such a wide, and variable, range of needs among people who choose Atkins, and other very
low carb approaches. But, it is a big mistake not to recognize that Supplements are an important
issue, and need serious attention from the "Atkins Man".

It has taken me a year to arrive at a currently satisfactory mix of supplements that help me
to maintain healthy lipid levels, and to suppress carb cravings, avoid cramps, etc. Even Dr. Atkins
had a hard time writing generalizations regarding the individual needs for Supplements. It is
a subject that needs serious study and clear communication to help make this WOE a success
for a wide portion of the human population. IMHO, of course!