Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 04:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 305/260/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 36%
Default Is this happening to fast?

I have been on Atkins' for like 19 days now. I got on the scale this morning and saw that I have lost another 2 pounds! But the thing that I'm kind of worried about is, I'm averaging a loss of a pound a day! Is this too fast?

Every other time I've done a diet (Atkins' included) I had a good weight loss the first week or maybe the first 10 days, but after that I tended to average about 2-3 pounds a week.

I'm being ultra faithful this time, more so then ever before, and I'm very active, and one of my medications was just decreased (it's a Cortisol Steriod that I have to take for Adrenal Hyperplasia) ---- so these could be contributing factors. But when I mentioned it to my mother and DH they started raving that it's not healthy to lose weight so fast and that I should slow down!?

First, I don't know how to slow it down other then upping my carbs (I'm staying between 15-20 carbs a day) and I'm not all that sure that it IS unhealthy because I do have a lot to lose and it's got to slow down at some point.

Should I worry like my family insists? Or should I just enjoy this ~ knowing that it will slow down greatly pretty soon?

Thanks for any insight! I just think my family is giving me bad advice...but then again, I'm not 100% sure of that either.

~Jaya

Last edited by Plagiomom : Fri, Sep-05-03 at 04:34.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 04:47

Plan: CAD from day 1
Stats: 327/304/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 14%

I don't think you have to worry. I bet that going off that medication is making a difference to your loss, since I have heard that that type of medication makes people gain. I would continue what you are doing for a couple more weeks and see what happens. If you continue to lose very fast you can always up your carbs or switch to another plan with a slower rate of loss. I bet though, that you will naturally slow down and will be remembering back wistfully to the 1lb-a-day days Good problem to have, if you ask me!

Take care,
Tracy
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 06:13
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

I agree with everything that Tracy (Vel) said. I would add that I think it is important to listen to your body. Do you feel warn out? Do you feel as though you are stressing yourself out and you need more carbs and/or calories? Or do you feel great and energetic? If you feel good I would keep doing exactly what you are doing. If you feel weak and worn out, I'd consider adding a few carbs to what you are eating.

In my opinion, I'd also refrain from mentioning to your mother and DH how much you are losing. If they can't be supportive, I'd keep them somewhat at arms length on this issue. I have a very close relationship with my husband, but I have never gotten him involved in the day-to-day tracking of my weight loss. Every once in a while I will mention to him that I am happy because I've lost a few pounds or frustrated because my weight loss has slowed down, but I try to spare him all the details. We also have an agreement to spare each other all the details of what happens at work. If I have a major problem at work (or a major success), I'll let him know. Otherwise, we do compartmentalize some of our lives away from each other to spare each other both worry and boredom.

Last edited by liz175 : Fri, Sep-05-03 at 06:15.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 07:06

Stats: 425/322/240 Female 68 inches
BF:Lots
Progress: 56%

I see you've already gotten some great advice from Tracy and Liz, so I don't really have much to add. I wouldn't worry about it for now. I've been on Atkins over 11 months now and I'll still occasionally have a week where I'll lose 5-6#. I just see it as a blessing.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 07:15

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Jaya, it's generally 'not healthy' to lose it that fast, but this is not a 'general' situation. You're eating, not starving yourself, you're eating good foods, you're active and you've got a fair bit of fat to lose; this is all contributing to the rapid downward trend you are experiencing. Traditional diets are low in calories, low in protein and they result in a fair bit of lean tissue being lost - this is not the case with LC.

You're right, it will slow down eventually, as you have less left to lose, but you may have a few more months of this type of loss in store - enjoy it

-Nat
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 07:22

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

As was said above, listen to your body. Fatigue, muscle pains, weakness are signs that you need either more carbs - eat 5 or 10 grams extra daily - or potassium.

I believe that steroids make a person retain water so much of the pounds is water (but they are still pounds). Use some No Salt on your food to get a safely limited amount of potassium to balance your electrolytes.

If you get muscle cramps, you may need some "calcium & magnesium" supplements. I hope you are taking a multivitamin and whatever other supplements your plan recommends.

You are making great progress and seem prepared for the inevitable slowdown. I also think that "being ultra faithful" to your plan is a key ingredient of your success.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 08:38
Medival Princess

Plan: curves
Stats: 298/214/190 Female 6 ft or 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

I agree with what is said just wanted to add that I have been averaging 4-5lbs a week nearly every week since I started and I have not had any issues with it (other then reseting up my goal for oct twice :P )

Crysania
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 10:10

BF:

Thanks everyone for the replies!

To answer a couple of things - yes I am taking vitamins. I take a multi-day vitamin as well as extra Cal/Mag and Potassium becuase I started getting charlie horse leg cramps at night in the beginning. Since I added the Cal/Mag and Potassium, the cramps have stopped. (thanks god! those things are painful!)

I feel absolutely wonderful! I'm a bit crampy because it's that TOM, but other then that, I have loads of energy - I'm sleeping well at night (I explained that in the What Gave you the resolve this time thread. ) - and just over all feeling like I can conquer the world!

Liz, I think you're right! I don't think I'm going to discuss details with my DH or my mom. They both have wonderful intentions and are only looking out for me, but I don't need the added stress of them putting doubts in my mind. So next time they ask, "how's the weight loss coming?" I'll just answer "very well, thank you!", and leave it at that.

Thanks again everyone! I'm sure things will slow down soon - but for now, I'm just going to enjoy the fact that I'm melting!!!

~Jaya

Last edited by Plagiomom : Fri, Sep-05-03 at 10:11.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 10:17
... Pro-Atkins!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 312/274/220 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 41%
Lightbulb Steroids

Hi Jaya,

Just wanted to comment on the steroid issue. I know from personal experience what a difference they can make in weight loss. If you don't need them at all anymore, that's great. However, if they're a medication you'll need periodically, be prepared to experience fast gains when you start and fast losses when you stop.

While I know a lot of the weight gain / loss is water, steroids complicate the whole hormone balance. Your liver just can't process fat in the same way when this med is in your system.

Good luck, and enjoy the extended 'whoosh'!
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 10:44

BF:

Hi Monika,

Actually the steriod was only decreased in dosage because it is going to be a lifelong steriod (it provides the Cortisol Steriod that my adrenals don't produce, but are supposed to.) I was starting to show symptoms of Dexamethasone over-use (on too high of a dose for what my body requires now) and Dex is the type of med where your supposed to find the lowest dosage that the body needs to function without causing symptoms of overuse, but giving the correct levels in the blood....thankfully it feels like the new dose agrees with me - though I'll have to see what the blood work and my Endo says in a couple of months.

Unfortunately, I'll never be off this steriod, but hopefully the lower dosage is helping with the weight loss and the symptoms of over-use will continue to go away.

Thanks so much!!!!

~Jaya

Last edited by Plagiomom : Fri, Sep-05-03 at 10:45.