Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 12:11

Plan: Dr. Bernstein/Atkinish
Stats: 339/321/160 Female 68 inches
BF:????????
Progress: 10%
Question Eating Out ?

Hi and thanks again to everyone that has made me feel so welcome. I hope I don't make a pest out of myself with all of the questions and "I need a pep talk" requests I'm sure I'll be posting. Just thought I'd ask if anyone has a favorite restaurant and menu item that they can suggest. My husband and I eat out frequently and I'm racking my brain trying to think of places to go and what to order. We went to IHOP last night and that seems to be a good place since they serve breakfast all day. I ordered the chicken fajita omelete and tryed not to feel guilty about the cheese, sour cream and guacomole. This LCing is going to be a new mindset from everything I've always been brainwashed with. Anyway the omelete was very good and I was proud of my restraint when they brought the pancakes that go with it to the table. I just asked them to take them away and next time I'll remember to ask in the beginning not to bring them. My husband is trying to do this with me so that helps a whole lot.

One more ? Sorry if it's a little too graphic. Is diarrhea normal at first? I have always had irritable bowel syndrome and so loose stools are very common for me, but today (day 2) is worse. Maybe, just nerves from starting something new?

Thanks,
Deb
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 12:22

Plan: Atkns/CT Weight&Wellness
Stats: 335/272.5/170 Female 5 ft 3 inches
BF:54/51/35
Progress: 38%

How about a good steakhouse?

Get a nice steak with mushrooms sauted in butter
Salad and some good blue cheese dressing

Seafood place
Lobster with drawn butter
shrimp cocktail (MMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmm)

I just remind myself to stay out of italian restaurants because if I smell pasta, I will not be able to control myself
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 12:30

Plan: Atkins-esque
Stats: 200/158/150 Female 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 84%

We do Perkins, IHOP and most other breakfast-serving spots successfully with omelettes, breakfast meats, eggs, etc., just as you did. Usually, if you don't take the 'cakes and hashbrowns they'll allow a substitution, so we usually get a side of bacon or sausage to supplement the meal.

For dinner, our favorite spot is Outback Steakhouse, since the meat portions are great and it's easy to do a salad and never miss the potato (though they will always look good to me!). Sometimes their vegetable selection is a bit dim (carrots and peas!), but mainly, it's a good spot.

Applebee's is a bit disappointing, serving most things with little meat and huge amounts of vegetables. Their standard steamed veggies are carrots and in-shell peas with zucchini ... not much to write home about and most can't be eaten.

Try some Mom and Pop restaurants -- stop in and ask for a take-out menu so you can check things out in the privacy of your own home rather than sit looking confused when trying to order the first time or two.

The diarrhea thing is pretty common, btw. Try taking psyllium husk bulking agents (I use Metamucil) -- they're good for both diarrhea and the opposite problem. I have stomach pains when I don't use the Metamucil, so it's a nightly ritual to take it, along with my usual supplements.

You sound like you're on the right track! Keep asking questions ... if it weren't for folks asking things since that's what keeps the ball rolling.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 12:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 425/322/240 Female 68 inches
BF:Lots
Progress: 56%

Just thought all you IHOP fans might like to know that they add pancake batter to the eggs they use to make their omelets. It makes them fluffier. To get around this you have to ask them to make them with plain eggs or egg beaters.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 12:46

Oh man, I didn't know that! How bad does a 3 egg omelete blow my carbs then? I thought I came in at exactly 20 gms yesterday, now I'm worried I blew it. Thanks for the info, I'll be sure to request regular eggs next time. Can't stand egg beaters though. I raise my own chickens so it's hard to even eat regular eggs out without noticing the difference in the flavor.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 13:14

BF:

Good thing you mentioned that!

My husband is the only one who eats at IHOP these days while on business ... since we moved to this area there isn't one locally, so I'm still pancake free!

Thanks for the information!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 13:17
Arizona 215 lb Loser

Plan: Suzanne Somers
Stats: 327/315/190 Male 5 ft 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

Personally, I love the Mushroom Jack fajita at Chili’s. It's really good! And really, I love any fajita's, but I have to pass on the tortillas and the guacamole (Somersizing doesn't allow it as it has too many carbs).

I also love the pot roast at a number of places like Mimi's and Marie Callenders!

But you have to watch it at any restaurant, as the proportions are usually bigger than you should have. However, if I don't go out too often, then it seems fine.

Dean
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 21:41

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 333/199.8/172 Female 5'8"
BF:??/39.0/25
Progress: 83%

Cracker Barrel has a nice selection if you have one near you. You can more or less pick and choose among a variety of foods, several of which are lc. They are my favorite these days!

Max & Erma's burgers are great without the bun. Probably the best I've had anywhere. You can specify the types of cheeses you want, too. I had an interesting experience there just this week. After taking our order, the waitress went to place then order, then came back specifically to ask me if I wanted croutons on my salad or not. And I hadn't told her why I ordered my sandwich without the bun!

I miss being able to eat at Applebee's too. They really need to get with the program. They have very little on their menu that is lc.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 22:33
Medival Princess

Plan: curves
Stats: 298/214/190 Female 6 ft or 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

the fajtia's at chilies or the chicken and mushrooms at long horns are my two favorites.. there is a few of the chinese dishes that are not to bad (not for the first phase though) and i love chinese just gotta stay away from general tao and sweet & sour chicken darnit! lol

Crysania
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 11:05

We have a burger restaurant around here called Fuddrucker's!. They have from 1/3 lb. to 1 lb. burgers that are great, especially the bleu cheese and mushroom burger and the southwest bacon and guacomole burger. Then they have the fixin's bar where you can pile on all the lettuce, pickles, tomatoes, pico di gallo, onions, peppers, etc that you want (within my carb limit). I won't miss the bun but I will miss their great fries with hot jalapeno cheese sauce. Oh well, it's a small sacrifice to make for the long term rewards.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 11:18

BF:

Crysania,

I posted a recipe for LC General Tso's under Main Dishes in the Kitchen forum ... the chicken isn't breaded and fried, but it's good enough to satisfy my husband whose only "need" at a Chinese place is General Tso's!

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=130683

Hope this helps.

---Amy
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 12:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by diemde
I miss being able to eat at Applebee's too. They really need to get with the program. They have very little on their menu that is lc.

And they're probably going to get worse! I've heard they (and Chilis) are working with Weight Watchers on the menu to make selections that are 'points friendly' (in other words probably very low fat/high carb).
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 13:45
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

I try to avoid chain restaurants, because we have lots of good independent restaurants near us and I want to support them, but while traveling for work last week I had an excellent Cobb salad at TGI Friday. I'd certainly go back there again.

If you go to the Atkin's Center website, they have suggestions of what to order at all different types of restaurants. When I know I am going to end up at a restaurant where I am less familiar with the food (such as Thai), I always check the Atkins Center for suggestions.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 14:14

Good Idea, Liz. I never would have thought of checking the site for suggestions. I really don't use that site nearly as much as I should.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 15:44
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

If anyone is interested, click here for a link to the Atkins Center web page on what to order in different types of restaurants.

One thing I forgot to mention is that I always ask for a double order of vegetables instead of the rice or potatoes. So far, no one has ever refused that request.

Also, I almost always ask for oil and vinegar for my salad, since sugar can sneak into almost any type of salad dressing. Almost every restaurant has little shakers of oil and vinegar hidden away somewhere.

Last edited by liz175 : Fri, Sep-05-03 at 15:47.