Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 01:52

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 262.5/253.5/160 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%
Default Is your spouse & family eating low carb too?

It is just my husband and me at home. Our kids are grown. My husband likes my low carb cooking. He noticed that doesn't bloat as much and has less heartburn. He is very supportive. He even reads the nutrition labels at the store too. He doesn't miss the starchy stuff.
When we have our grandkids over now, they have noticed that grandma's pantry isn't full of a lot sugary snacks now. They are getting cheese sticks and nuts now. Are your families sharing this low carb eating with you?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 02:24

Plan: Atkins for now.
Stats: 135/?/115? Female Short. 5"3
BF:Don't wanna know.
Progress: 15%

Lately I've been trying to convince my mom to do low carb with me mostly because she eats like crap, and is always tired and has headaches.
But as for now, it's just me and my cat. lol.

Last edited by SlimShAdY : Thu, Sep-04-03 at 02:26.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 04:57
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

My husband and I started this WOE together. Shortly after our daughter jumped on board and has taken the eating style with her to college. And last our 15 year old son finally broke down. And is very happy with it. He lost 20 pounds before school started. As far as extended family members, I have converted them too! Two of my 3 sisters are now eating low carb, and the third one is set to start soon. Along with that my brothers family have all jumped on board! Won't my mother have fun trying to feed us all at Christmas?!?!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 05:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 292/266/180 Male 69 in
BF:
Progress: 23%

So far, both my wife and I are on Atkins. It's a whole lot easier when everyone in the house is eating the same way.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 05:42
Ex-Patriot

Plan: CAD-ish
Stats: 232.5/199/168 Female 5'2"
BF:no/earthly/clue
Progress: 52%

My partner is doing it with me. She has her own journal on this forum.

Emily
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 06:03

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%

LOL I really tried to get my bf to join me.. and he said he was going to do induction with me more than a month ago (even gave him the book and everything to read).. nothing there yet.. sigh.. ah well.. I tried..
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 06:33

Plan: atkins
Stats: 277/248/170 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

Just me, but I do the grocery shopping and most of the cooking, so to some extent it is effecting the entire family. I no longer buy ice cream in 1/2 gallon containers, but will every other week faithfully buy the kids one package of ice cream treats. The first few times they ate all of the cookie & ice cream sandwiches in the first two days, but have now learned it is more fun to spread them out, and this past week when I bought a box I was shocked to see there was still one in the old box! Maybe I can teach my kids something I never learned, how to enjoy something fun, without having to over eat!! I also buy baked doritos, now instead and no one has even batted an eye, and more fruit than before. I have never been a fruit eater, LC or not, so I didn't buy much. But the kids really love an apple after school, so I think their habits are improving, and that makes me feel good.

Susan
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 07:03
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Yep...after seeing how well I was doing after two months, DH decided to try low-carbing too. I never thought he could give up his rice, potatoes, and Coke! But he's been doing great. The grocery bill (all that meat and fresh produce!) has skyrocketed and my freezer never has enough room, but we are loving the low-carb thing.

Incidentally, he's losing very well — faster than me! Darn men and their great metabolisms...
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 07:11

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast
Progress: 91%

my husband has ZERO interest in giving up his cola habits and nutrigrain bars for breakfast, McD's for lunch and he makes his own dinners now too... I REALLY wish he would do this with me. He is very closed minded...wont even taste the things I make.

My son is 3.5 and autistic--very picky only eats 4 different things so NOPE

my daughter almost 2...she likes to eat whatever mommy is eating I am kind of using her to rid the house of the sugar crap though...lol
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 07:21

Plan: Atkns/CT Weight&Wellness
Stats: 335/272.5/170 Female 5 ft 3 inches
BF:54/51/35
Progress: 38%

I cook whatever I'm having and also cook one carb thing (pasta., mac and cheese, rice, or serve bread) for hubby.

He said he thinks he has put on a few lbs. I'm worried that by bringing the high fat things into the house (like the salad dressing - mmmm Marie's super blue cheese dressing - 0 carbs but high fat) with him eating those AND carbs (sandwhiches for lunch) he might be gaining weight.

He offered to do induction with me, when i told him no potato chips or bread he said "forget it"!

:-(
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 07:24
Registered Member

Stats: 345/310/240 Male 6'3
BF:
Progress: 33%

she has stalled but yes she is living the WOL!

I think her big thing is Carborite chocolate bars
one a day!!!

sugar alcohol!!!

but we eat healthy meals every day
fish, chicken, pork, beef, lamb, veggies ( I am a grillin freak!!!!)

she is the egg queen

I make quiche's,steamed fish

you name it!

my big issue is that I travel 20 weeks a year so she and I east apart allot!

I know both of have self control issues with food we will get better or else!!!

LOL!!!

anyone who has this WOL should have at least one buddy even if they are using LA weight loss,Weight watchers or Nutri Systems!!

a buddy is good!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 07:27

Stats: 204.5/157/142 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 76%

Im the only one here too. My 2 year old daughter eats what I eat and even eats ceasar salads with me! My hubby and other 2 kids wont touch half the stuff I make so I usually fix 2 or 3 different meals.

I can empathize (sp?) with the grocery bill issue. Mine is huge!!! I'll pay that price for hopefully being skinny one day...
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 08:12

Plan: Primal/Paleo
Stats: 255/241/145 Female 5 feet 9 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

I started on Atkin's maintenance beginning of August (no ketosis since I'm breastfeeding). I eat between 50-100 grams of carbs a day, mostly in the form of fruits and veggies. I've lost 8lbs so far, and a few days ago out of nowhere my dh says, "I'm doing Atkins!" Wow, I couldn't be happier. When I was pregnant, he gained weight right along with me. He's a big soda drinker, I think that has been his main downfall. Well, he's been on induction now for 3 days and is losing a pound a day. He does drink diet rite, that is helping him get through the cravings without going out of ketosis. I too have noticed our grocery bill is definitely bigger, but not by much. It is sooo worth it. How much will we save on doctor's bills because we are keeping ourselves healthy? I'm sure it is quite a bit.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 08:41

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/223/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

I started atkins not expecting my daughter to join me. Two days after I started she wanted information about what I was eating and then joined me in eating this way. So now we are both eating the atkins way and it is much easier. As I said before the absense of sugar has made her a more happier child (15 yrs.) and she sleeps at night now. I am not pushing her to stay on the diet but I will only get sugar free things in my house for now on.
It is way easier only shopping one way and cooking one way. I am glad she joined me !!!!!
angie
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 08:47

Stats: 243/187/145 Female 5'5 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 57%

My hubby is not on this WOE...but he's happy to eat what I cook. My mom is doing a modified version of Atkins - I also have my aunt & my best friend that have joined me. It's been fun sharing tips, etc.

I agree, this is an expensive way to eat...but it's well worth it.

~Amy