Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 07:41

Plan: as soon as I go grocery shopping
Stats: 238/238/180 Male 5' 11
BF:
Progress:
Default Newby questions/Is it right for me?

I read most of Dr. Atkins New Diet Revoltion book, and would like to give it a try. I'm 238 lbs, 5' 11"....would like to be around 180...I had a few questions to ask if anyone knows......

1. I'm not a salad eater...meat and potatoes kinda guy here....would I still be able to do the Atkins diet, or do I 'have' to start eating lettuce, tomatoes, etc.

2. I'm a single guy who eats out quite a bit too....what's a guy to do , when all that's open during my work hours (11pm - 7 am), are fast food joints? The thought of scrapping a hamburger bun and fries , leaving only the meat , makes me feel like I'd be starvin' for certain! lol

3. Is it a pain to try to account for every carb that you ingest thru a day?

4. In the book, they recommend some 'supplements'...are these necessary?

I have more questions...can't think of them right off now, but I'll add them when I reemember.................
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 08:00

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 8%

I'm not a salad eater either, but I will dip some veggies (cucumbers are a fave) in ranch dressing. I also like broccoli with cheese. Veggies will round out a meal, and I recommend you find some you like, but you won't die if you have a straight "meat" meal.

Don't Starve! I go to Wendy's order 2 jr. bacon cheeseburgers, chuck the buns and I'm good. Maybe you need 3, maybe you need more. But if you're skipping the fries and the soda you should be good.

You'll find things you eat regularly. And you'll know those counts by heart.

YMMV - Your mileage may vary. You'll see that alot around here. And with supplements it's definitely true. Is it better to do it with supplements? Yes. It is absolutely drop-dead necessary? Maybe not.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 09:28
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 122/117/105 Female 5ft
BF:
Progress:

I don't like salad either but I am managing ok. I think the supplements are a good idea just to make sure you are getting plenty of goodness. I can't relly advise on the eating out question. I am still struggling with that one myself? Is kebab meat ok?

Good luck. You could just give it a go and see how you get on.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 07:35

Plan: atkins
Stats: 202/185/140 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 27%

Hi Burn and welcome

You know how this is supposed to be a individual plan and you have to make it work for you because obviously if you can't eat veggies, your not going by the book but you can still suceed. First time I ever went on atkins I was a complete egg and meat and cheese eater and still lost 60 lbs in alittle over 3 months but that was then for me. I can eat salads and I detest veggies too but I do have to add mayonaise to it and it gives a whole new flavor to me, I can also eat some broccoli and green beans.

Now as far as the counting of the carbs, you have to learn the 0's and anything esle after that you probably will need to check, remember though ketchups and processed foods bacon etc. have hidden carbs so watch those and good luck!!