Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 04:09
Too kinky for you

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/246/187 Male 176 cm
BF:xxx/27.2/20
Progress: 24%

Just some minor nitpicking

"Moreover, the Atkins-Taubes thesis of "fat won’t make you fat" encourages obesity in a similar way: It offers carte blanche for consuming limitless calories, only this time swapping carbohydrates for fat. "

Once again they never read the book.

"Carbohydrates at the top of what’s called the "hypoglycemic index" are the most evil of the evil, since they cause blood sugar to rise the fastest."

hypoglycemic index?! *lol*
These people are clueless...

""the probable explanation for the greater weight loss in the groups on the Atkins regimen" is that it "gives people a framework to eat fewer calories, since most of the choices in this culture are carbohydrate driven....You’re left eating a lot of fat, and you get tired of that. Over time people eat fewer calories." That would make the Atkins plan nothing more than a low-calorie diet in disguise."

No sh!t sherlock! Of course it's lower calorie - BUT!!!! we all feel satisfied on it, totally undeprived!
As to getting tired of eating fats - well, I'll let you know when that happens! It aint gonna be in a hurry, I'll tell you that

Steven
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 04:46

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: // Male 65 centimeters
BF:25/17/10
Progress: 91%

Rosa Alta I agree with ya. One needs to be very sure about this WOE.

My LDL has gone up a bit.. but look at HDL almost doubled..
and TG dropped from 1000 ft.

My home work says the following..I'm committed to this WOE despite
what experts have to say..

DOs:

1. Drink up water..
2. Eat moderate amount of quality protein
3. Eat moderate amount good fat (olive oil,avacado,nuts)
4. Loadup on veggies and low GI fruits.
5. Areobic/Anarobic exercise

Don't:
1. Avoid artificial sweetner.. and diet soda. Drink nothing but water..most of the time..
2. Don't eat lowcarb bar/candy,products ; these are expensive and generally have higer insulin response..
3. Don't eat processed meat

Last edited by neeam : Wed, Sep-03-03 at 05:00.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 06:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 150/143.3/138 Female 5'5"
BF:27.9
Progress: 56%
Default Cholesterol Numbers

I agree that everyone should be concerned when they try something new. You should always ask, "How is this going to affect me?" (affect/effect? I never know which one to use) I've been eating low carb for quite a while. I started about 3 years ago and have been off and on it since.

Before gaining weight, my total chloresterol had always been below 200, usually 143. But 4 years ago, I jumped up to 175. Still well within normal limits, I know, but I could see it was going to keep on going up if I didn't get my weight under control. I tried the usual low cal diet and failed miserably. I was starving and really light headed. I kept fainting and couldn't function normally. And as soon as I had my first cheat, I went way overboard. The result; I gained more weight than if I hadn't dieted at all. My cholesterol numbers were not improving.

I recently attended a medical conference where a drug rep was doing blood screenings. I was rather pleased with my outcome.

Total cholesterol 168,
HDL 70,
LDL 74,
Triglycerides 123.

Now what does this mean?

According the American Heart Association web site;

Your total blood cholesterol level

Desirable -- Less than 200 mg/dL
Borderline high risk -- 200-239 mg/dL
High risk -- 240 mg/dL and over

Your LDL cholesterol level greatly affects your risk of heart attack and of stroke. The lower your LDL cholesterol, the lower your risk. In fact, it’s a better gauge of risk than total blood cholesterol. Your LDL cholesterol will fall into one of these categories:

LDL Cholesterol Levels

Less than 100 mg/dL Optimal
100 to 129 mg/dL Near Optimal/ Above Optimal
130 to 159 mg/dL Borderline High
160 to 189 mg/dL High
190 mg/dL and above Very High

Triglyceride Level Classification

Less than 150 mg/dL Normal
150-199 mg/dL Borderline-high
200-499 mg/dL High
500 mg/dL or higher Very high

AHA

The technician told me that I should continue doing whatever I was doing. I gave him a big smile and said; "I've been on Atkins for over a year"

And now the kicker; I do not exercise. I am very active, but I do not follow any regular routine. However, at my age, I really need to start.