Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-03, 21:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/177/125 Female 5'1"1/2
BF:29%/?%/14%
Progress: 5%
Question What should my nutrient breakdown be?

Hello there...I've read DANDR and have seriously decided to give it a try. I am using FitDay, but am unsure what my nutrient breakdown should be. What percent of my calories should come from fat, protein and carbs? Also how many calories should I try to eat...I really want to lose these 50 or so pounds that I've been lugging around for the last ten years, I can't stand it anymore. I would like to do this right - I've done too many fad diets, probably without having all the facts before I quit. I want to track everything that I can with this to see what effects me and what doesn't. I appreciate any help you all can offer.

Jenn
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-02-03, 06:08

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

The Atkins centre recommends aiming for 65% fat - your protein should be between 25-30% and the rest would be carbs. As for the calories, it's going to be an individual thing. I would not recommend going below 1400 calories for fear of lowering metabolism too much. Your best bet it to follow the guidelines in the book - eat until you are satisfied and when you are hungry and track the numbers for a while. If you find yourself eating too little then you can adjust to compensate by adding in more fat.

HTH
-Nat
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-02-03, 17:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/177/125 Female 5'1"1/2
BF:29%/?%/14%
Progress: 5%

Thanks so much for the advice. It's a little crazy to think that 65% of your diet should come from fat. I'm having a hard time working it in, coming from the school of low fat, but I've stocked my kitchen with butter, olive oil and the like. Thanks again for the reply, it's great having so many knowledgable people here to help. Take care!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-02-03, 19:07

Plan: just eating junk food!JK
Stats: ???/105/??? Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 100%

hey check out fitday.com to keep track of your fat/prtoein/carbs percentage. its so easy!