Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-02-03, 14:04

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 192/183/160 Female 5.4
BF:27
Progress: 28%
Unhappy Day 1

Okay, after much encouragement and lots of reasearch I have decided to do the Atkins diet. Today, is my first day and I had 2 eggs for breakfast, water and then for lunch I had some leftover chicken legs and salad. I am starving and I am craving sugar and honestly I could eat a whole loaf of bread and a box of Tim Hortons Donuts. I know it's only day one but will these cravings really subside...or should I give up now.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-02-03, 14:10
empress of fashion

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Dont' give up!!!! And don't starve either. If you increase your water and your fat intake you may find the cravings decreasing.

The first few days are the worst but you will be fine.

Grab yourself some more chicken and hang in there!!!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-02-03, 14:55

Plan: HCG/LCHF
Stats: 224/201/190 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

No, don't give up. Make sure you eat ENOUGH of the allowable foods.. If you're hungry, have more protein/fat (like cheese, meat, eggs) and don't forget your veggies.. A big salad is ok, with lots of lettuce (after all, it is only 1 carb per cup) and other allowable "salad vegetables" according to Atkins site and/or book. And at dinner, 1 cup or so of "other vegetables" plus a bit more salad if you need it.

When I have been out and about some days, I have had not ONE double meat buger (no bun) but TWO of them... the main thing is not to go more than 6 hours w/o food AND to eat when you're hungry, just not to the "overstuffed" point. And drinking the water really really does help for fullness and weight loss.

You can do this! Hang in there

Last edited by jeanyyy : Tue, Sep-02-03 at 14:56.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-02-03, 15:21
Carb Nazi

Stats: 260/255/160 Male 6'0
BF:YES!
Progress: 5%

Poopie:

Give it two weeks and see how you feel. Remember, do not go hungry, whatever that takes! Most people find that hunger will subside quite a bit after a few days, to the point you have to remind yourself to eat. But if you are hungry, EAT EAT EAT! In the first two weeks, I ate as many as 7 eggs in one sitting. I bet over the course of today, I have eaten 10 slices of bologna. This is different so don't feel guilty. Its not an excuse to overindulge, but if you are hungry EAT EAT EAT! Try some different things too. Atkins pancakes with Atkins syrup (Yummie), pork rinds.... take some cream cheese and put in between some ham and cheese slices and roll up. Delicious! Did I mention, EAT EAT EAT!

Have you had your pound of bacon today? Mad
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-02-03, 17:13

Plan: Back to induction! :-)
Stats: 209/179/150 Female 5'8"
BF:Too Freakin Much!
Progress: 51%

Don't give up!!! The first three days were agonizing for me! It really does get better! Those nasty sugar cravings will subside! Give this diet a half a chance and you won't be sorry you did!
Good Luck to you!
*Cappy*
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-02-03, 18:03

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 257/239/220 Female 5ft. 7 1/2in.
BF:
Progress: 49%

Poopie- Your name cracks me up!!! You have gotten great advice from all of the above and if you start feeling light headed or shaky --just hang in there, It is the bodys' way of detoxifying itself. You are doing good and do as suggested--EAT_EAT- cheese- protein- Whipped cream on whipped cream and drink the recommended 8-8 oz glasses of water a day. Good luck to you --Hugs--Alice
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-02-03, 18:15

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast
Progress: 91%

you can do it! it took me 5 days to not feel like CRAP (tomorrow will feel worse for you I bet). YOU CAN get through these few days then you will magically feel better.....promise!!!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Sep-02-03, 19:29

Stats: 198/185/148 Female 5'10"
BF:36%/31%/23%
Progress: 26%

Many of us have hard starts caffiene withdraws, carb withdraws and cravings, low energy and headaches.

My feeling cruddy lasted up to five days then I was feeling very well.

I hope you will too!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 01:50
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins diet
Stats: 210.5/208/160 Female 5.8- 1.76
BF:

come on Poopie keep the good work
and i am back to atkins again its my first day back today so keep it up
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 05:36

Stats: 237/225/150 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 14%

Gosh I ate like a pig the first few days. I blew my husband away by the amount of eggs I had day one. I think it was 7. Even now after 5 weeks I still munch constantly. My husband keeps saying Are you sure you can eat like that? I guess he remembers the starvation diets I have been on in the past. I woke up this morning and have lost another pound! This diet is so realistic... enjoy!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 06:51

Plan: Cyclic Ketogenic Diet
Stats: 261/236.5/160 Female 5'7"
BF:--%/--%/--%
Progress: 24%

The carb cravings nearly did me in the first week of induction. All I had to do was just think about pasta or rice or candy and my mouth would start to water. But the cravings did quickly subside, I'm glad to say. This WOE was very hard for me to get into and though I did fall off the wagon a few times, I slowly learned how to eat correctly and it's second nature to me now. As with anything new in your life, you just have to give yourself time to adapt and adjust to it. Don't throw in the towel just yet!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 17:36

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 192/183/160 Female 5.4
BF:27
Progress: 28%

Thanks everyone...I survived my two weeks and am feeling great. I have lost 6lbs!!! I am so excited...but I am sick of eggs and bacon for breakfast can anyone suggest anything else -- perhaps cereal?
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 18:43

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

you actually can have anything "legal" for breakfast. A lot of people have leftovers from dinner. You also might want to try having your eggs in a different way, maybe an omlette? Add your favorite veggies, experiment.

I've never been good about breakfast, so every morning I grab a shake, add my Flax seed and sometimes egg beaters and go. It's filling, I can sip it while driving to work and it sticks with me.

Also, now that you're past induction, you might want to check out some of the breakfast foods from Atkins (https://atkins.com) or others (check the links at the top of the page). The Atkins cranberry muffins I've tried, made it as a loaf instead of muffins....and even my 18 yr old son enjoyed it. They are definitely different texture from most muffins/breads....but with cream chesses (full fat!) it's pretty good.

Also, you might want to check out the low-carb bars...although be aware that a lot of people stall with them.

Good luck! And congrats on making it thru induction!
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 19:08
Carb Nazi

Stats: 260/255/160 Male 6'0
BF:YES!
Default Congrats!

CONGRATS POOPIE ON THE 6 LBS AND MAKING IT THROUGH INDUCTION!

Eggs and bacon get redundant I know. Try some Atkins Pancakes with Atkins syrup... yummy! mad