Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-31-03, 12:33

Plan: atkins
Stats: 185/140/130 Female 69
BF:
Progress: 82%
Unhappy Please Help!!!need To Lose 10 Pounds

I Am 20 Years Old And Weigh 140.. Waist 27.. I Need To Get Down At Least 1i30 And I Want My Waist At 25 Inches.. This Is The Best I Feel At That Weight...... Every Dr I Go To Tells Me That I Am Not Overweight.. But I Know What I Look Like In A Bikini ... Fat Around My Waist.. I Recently Started Going To A Dr Who Is Doing Body Restoration Therapy On My Thryoid.. ( I Would Appreciate Anyone Out There Who Has Had The Same Treatments.. Giving Me Some Feedback.. ) Well He Said All Protein No Fat.. A Version Of Atkins But Watch The Fat.. I Have Been Thinking About A Supplement Called 7 Keto.. I Cannot Lose This Weight Around My Stomach And Drop The 10 I Need To Lose I Have Been On This For 4 Months And Never Lost A Pound.. I Do Work Out ...cardio At The Gym .. Can Any One Offer Me Some Help Here!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-31-03, 12:47
"Natural Mystic"

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Hi Pitt!

First off, read the book and then decide if you want to do Atkins. Atkins is a high fat, moderate protein and yes carbs too. In the first stage you eat 20g of carbs (after deducting fiber) per day, you do this for two weeks. You need carbs for the nutrients and the fiber that they provide. Most people lose 10% of the amonut they wish to lose during the 2 week induction period and then 5% per month after that. This is not a fast weight loss plan but if correctly done the food choices keep you satisfied and keep your cravings under control so you can get to your goal weight.

Good luck!

Peace
red
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Aug-31-03, 16:45
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

Pitt-

Are you really 6 foot tall? If so-the doctor is right about your weight. I know you do cardio-but you might want to add some weights to your workouts. 140 pounds is normal weight for someone who is 5'4'-5'6".
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Aug-31-03, 17:39
"Natural Mystic"

Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Pitt, I did not realize you were 6 feet. Or is that a typo? Maybe that's why your body does not want to go any lower because 130 is too low. If you want to reshape your body, like Paleoanth suggested try weights and continue your cardio.

If you were not eating the 20g of carbs and were hardly eating fat you weren't doing Atkins so that is why it did not work. How about trying it according to the book and see what happens? Click here: Atkins Site

Peace
red
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Aug-31-03, 17:42
Whoosh me baby!

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 276/258/180 Female 66 inches
BF:Yep, gots to go
Progress: 19%

Have you had children? Maybe abdominal fat isn't the problem. If you are only doing cardio-try adding stomach exercises to bring definition to your muscles. Pilates are great exercises if you don't have time for the gym.

Last edited by hey_Neener : Sun, Aug-31-03 at 17:44.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Aug-31-03, 17:51

BF:

no,,sorry typo... i am 5 foot 9....not 6 foot sorry people....
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Aug-31-03, 17:58

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Please change both your profile and your stats to reflect your current weight and height. No one can be expected to help you if your numbers aren't right.

5'9" = 69 inches for your profile

And you state in your first post that you weigh 140 pounds. But your stats in your profile say that you are 159. Please change these if you are seriously seeking help in using LC to lose weight. The discrepancies often are the signal of a 'troll' who only seeks to cause trouble on an LC board.

There is also good advice above: at 5'9", 130 is TOO low by any reputable standards. If you are not happy with your shape, then exercise which targets a particular area is a much better idea. 5'9" should weigh from 145 pounds and above, depending on your frame.

Please be clear or people might be justified in being suspicious about the motivation behind these posts.

If you are paying this doctor many $$$, I wonder what his/her motivation really is? Why not listen to the doctors you have already consulted? Sounds to me as though they are right. Sorry to sound so cynical but there have been many people who came here with either malicious or unrealistic motives. I hope you aren't one.

Last edited by tofi : Sun, Aug-31-03 at 18:00.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Aug-31-03, 18:12
Slothy Superhero

Well, 5'9" is a bit better-frankly I am jealous you are so tall!

When I was your age I was 107 pounds and am 5'0"-I always have had a small pouch in the abdomen-even at that weight. The only thing I have seen work on that area is lower ab stuff. Tightening that area (although you cannot target lose weight!) will help shrink it and make it look better.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Aug-31-03, 18:29

BF:

sorry,, about the profile.. new to forums .. didnt know how to change profile.. i just changed it.. thanks
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Aug-31-03, 18:35

BF:

i just want to say this is my first time to a forum and the lady really chewed me out because my profile was confusing.. well first of all .. i am serious and and i was confused on how to change my profile..once i entered in my numbers i didnt know how to change them when i realized i put the wrong numbers in the wrong place.. i sure hope not everyone is that mean to a new person on the forum.. someone like her makes me not want to even get on this web site postings.. i am serious and looking for answers and i get a reply like ..i thought that was not very nice.. i dont appreciate being called a troll.. i dont even know what you are talking about.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Aug-31-03, 18:40
Slothy Superhero

Hey pitt-

I just read and responded to another post you made about you being in the entertainment field. Interesting! I know you have a limited time to get into what the producers think is the right size (and why DOES the entertainment field demand such things, anyway?). You might want to try a really strict induction for two weeks and see what happens. I know that on Atkins I shrunk a lot faster that I actually lost weight-so you might get smaller at the same weight you are now. Make sure you keep measuring!

They have a website to go look at if you haven't read the book-

http://atkinscenter.com
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Aug-31-03, 18:47

BF:

Paleoanth...do you eat alot of fat ,,, the atkins book said fat, but he dr i am seeing said watch my fat and eat lots of protein, he said protein burns fat.. i wonder why he would say that when he is a atkins fan.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Aug-31-03, 18:51
Slothy Superhero

Atkins is a high fat diet-I ate between 65-75% of all of my calories from fat. I don't know why your doctor said that-but maybe he doesn't really understand Atkins. Lots of medical people don't.

Here is a website I found that might help you:

http://www.jonnybowden.com/weightloss.html

I know you are doing this for your job-but you don't want to permanently damage your system by going too low on the body fat %. Women shouldn't be below 18% body fat. It isn't healthy.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Aug-31-03, 19:10

Stats: 167.5/122/115 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

Hi Pitt, if you are wanting to do low carb but you're concerned about eating a lot of fat, you might try Protein Power. I think they put more stress on high protein & not as much fat. Atkins is a high fat plan, you cannot do it without eating lots of fat. I'm talking 60-70% of your daily food intake. Atkins just won't work if you try to restrict fat.

There is a link on the right side of the screen called "Which low carb plan is right for me?" that might help you find a plan that you'd be comfortable with.

Hope that helps! --Sarah
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Aug-31-03, 19:40
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt
i just want to say this is my first time to a forum and the lady really chewed me out because my profile was confusing.. well first of all .. i am serious and and i was confused on how to change my profile..once i entered in my numbers i didnt know how to change them when i realized i put the wrong numbers in the wrong place.. i sure hope not everyone is that mean to a new person on the forum.. someone like her makes me not want to even get on this web site postings.. i am serious and looking for answers and i get a reply like ..i thought that was not very nice.. i dont appreciate being called a troll.. i dont even know what you are talking about.

Hi Pitt,

Unfortunately we do get "trolls" - people who are not serious about weight loss and just wish to cause trouble - posting here from time to time. If you go back and reread Tofi's post, you'll see that she was asking you to change your stats so we could establish you are not a troll. She did not call you a troll.

Calling her "mean" is getting dangerously close to flaming. I'm sorry you were so upset by her post, but being rude back does not help matters.

I wish you every success.

Rosebud