Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 21:05

Plan: Atkins / OWL
Stats: 260/208/190 Male 71 in
BF:
Progress: 74%
Lightbulb 7-11 Sugar Free Slurpees

Mods -- sorry if this is the wrong forum -- but I knew folks here would want to see this.

Most 7-11s have added Sugar free Slurpees.
They come in two varieties:
  • Crystal Light
  • Diet Pepsi

The Crystal Light is advertised as being 50 calories per 8 oz serving (and something like 9 carbs).
The Diet Pepsi is advertised as being 0 calories per 8 oz serving (and has "0" carbs.)

For those of you who may have been wondering, I asked the Manager to see the Ingredient List.

Crystal Light has Glycerin, Sorbitol and Maltodextrin as it's main ingredients.
The Diet Pepsi has Erythritol.

There's plenty of other artificial colors and such, but I did want to let you know that both have tons of sugar alcohols, which will likely provide a Slurpee Laxative effect, and may stall your weight loss.

However, if it's really hot, they're both pretty good for a treat once in a while.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 21:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 135/127/123 Female 5'5-1/2"
BF:
Progress: 67%

Hey, Hogarth,

This is good to know. I, for one, will keep it in mind, as the carbonated diet drints play havoc with my stomach. Are they tasty?

Thanks for the info.

Whammy
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 21:38

Stats: 140.0/121.5/125 Female 5'3
BF:going down!
Progress: 123%

I have tried the Diet Pepsi Icy, and I did not like it at all. Had a funny sweety type of a taste to it.
Not at all like I was hoping it would taste like.

NoSunNoFun
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 21:54

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogarthNH
Crystal Light has Glycerin, Sorbitol and Maltodextrin as it's main ingredients.
The Diet Pepsi has Erythritol.

I'd love to know how many of those 9 carbs [in the Crystal Lite] come from Glycerine and Sugar Alcohols (Sorbitol) vs. Sugars (Maltodextrin). I also wonder whether they are using the Crystal Lite with Aspartame or with Splenda. Crystal Lite makes drinks with both Sweeteners.

The Diet Pepsi is a no-go for me as it contains Aspartame, which gives me migraines and Caffeine which makes me restless. Strangely, I used to be such a Caffeine addict, it took 200mg to even notice any effect [I took 1,000 - 1,600mg once and it caused a horrible Nosebleed.] Now, 50mg will make me restless. 1,000mg would probably kill me now that I no longer have a tolerance to it.*

*That was a little exagerrated, but not too much...3,200mg (about 3x that amount) is the lowest dose of Caffeine known to have killed a person.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-03, 16:41

BF:

I just found out that the Diet Pepsi Slurpees are made with: Splenda, Erythritol, and Tagatose.

http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercuryn...ood/6630963.htm

Erythritol is a Sugar Alcohol. I'm a little weary of Tagatose...But, the descriptions of its effects are similar to [the effects] a Sugar Alcohol. I guess I'll have to try the Diet Pepsi Slurpee next time I'm down somewhere where they've got a 7-11.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-03, 19:26

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%

Ack I didn't know the Diet Pepsi had sugar alcohol in it. I'd been having one generous size Slurpee a day for a week now. I'd noticed the laxative effect too. Didn't realize it was the Slurpee after all..

I'm sad to have to let Slurpees go
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 14:11
TeaQueen

Plan: My own verson of Atkins
Stats: 311/294/120 Female 5' 1
BF:
Progress: 9%

That is cool to know. I saw those this weekend and really wanted one. But DH brought up a point...that they may have caffeine in them too. Like the regular soda pop. Was that listed at all?

Great thread!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 14:19

Plan: Atkins / OWL
Stats: 260/208/190 Male 71 in
BF:
Progress: 74%

I'm afraid I don't recall.

You could ask at your 7-11 to see the box that the mix comes in, though. It has the ingredients on it.

Being that it's Diet Pepsi, I'd assume so.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 14:57
TeaQueen

Plan: My own verson of Atkins
Stats: 311/294/120 Female 5' 1
BF:
Progress: 9%

Ahh good idea

I will have to scare one up around here. We were out and about a few towns away when I saw that last one.

I have taken caffeine out to help with my blood pressure elevation...Don't know if it is actually helping. LOL

Thanks.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 17:10

Stats: 138/122/115 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc48510
I just found out that the Diet Pepsi Slurpees are made with: Splenda, Erythritol, and Tagatose.

http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercuryn...ood/6630963.htm

Erythritol is a Sugar Alcohol. I'm a little weary of Tagatose...But, the descriptions of its effects are similar to [the effects] a Sugar Alcohol. I guess I'll have to try the Diet Pepsi Slurpee next time I'm down somewhere where they've got a 7-11.

How is that the diet pepsi slurpee can be sweetend with splenda, yet they still use aspartame in reg diet pepsi? Are they switching over? Lets get coke to switch over too, i love diet coke better.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 18:06

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtuamor22
How is that the diet pepsi slurpee can be sweetend with splenda, yet they still use aspartame in reg diet pepsi? Are they switching over? Lets get coke to switch over too, i love diet coke better.

Apparently, when they tried to make Slurpees with Aspartame...it screwed up the freesing point and caused the Slurpees to turn to a block of ice [inside the machine.] So, 7-11 went to Coke and Pepsi and asked them to come up with a new forumla [for them] that kept the proper consistency. Pepsi came up with this new formula. I doubt they're gonna make Diet Pepsi [in the can] with it...Most likely, they'll just make it for 7-11.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 20:20

Stats: 138/122/115 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc48510
I doubt they're gonna make Diet Pepsi [in the can] with it...Most likely, they'll just make it for 7-11.

ok, but i can still dream about it