Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 23:54

Plan: atkins
Stats: 320/320/230 Male 186
BF:
Progress:
Default this food ok? advice also needed

well i just started atkins on monday of this week
and it seems the massive cravings have stopped
been trying to keep it 20 grams and below but i dono how well i am succeeding

here's what i ate today

half lb of ground beef seasoned with some spices (the spices had about 4 grams of carbs in em)

3 cups of lettuce (with bits of carrots and some other stuff mixed in, this was mixed in with the seaoned ground beef to make something i call a mexican salad) also included in this was about 3 large tbsp of sourcream

i had 2 seasoned chicken breasts (seasoning didn't have carbs listed, but sugar was not an ingrediant, nor was any sort of grain stuff, so i assume it was ok)

i had 3 pickles slices (makes up about 1/3 of a whole large dill pickle)

i also had 2 glasses of lemonade (made with concentrated lemon juice (no sugar added) and a splenda like sugar replacement stuff)

that was my food for the day

here is a previous days food also

day one:
burgers (2 small patties) with a SMALL amount of ketchup (half a tablespoon until i can get ahold of that atkins stuff in canada) also covered in mustard cheese and lettuce.

egg burger (2 cooked eggs with cheese over a hmburger patty)

sausages for dinner (3 small ones) along with a bowl of salad

basically that is what i have been eating, mixing and amtching th various menu items during the day. looking to add in some pork and chicken wings (buffalo style, very little carbs) into hte mix. pork rinds for snaking on when i get a bit hungry throughout the day. and let's not forgot water
LOTS of water everyday.

anyone got any suggestions as to what would be good to add to that meal plan
fish is too expensive i find, and i throw up when eating tomatoes, keep those 2 in mind when suggesting
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 00:20

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

Menu looks great! As for suggestions, remember you're not just limited to salad. You can also have veggies from the "other veggies" list. I like to compliment my dinner menu with steamed broccoli with butter, grilled asparagus with olive oil, mashed cauliflower with cheese, etc.

Buffalo wings are yummy. Making them yourself (with Frank's Hot Sauce and butter) assures a low carb count. I love to pair with Marie's Blue Cheese dressing and celery. Yum.

Overall, looks pretty good to me. Obviously the ketchup is a bit of a no-no, but you gotta live right? Have you ever tried mayo or salad dressing on a burger, though?

What else? Oh, if you want an accurate carb count while you're getting used to eyeballing things, sign up for a free account at www.fitday.com . You can track your menu, or just get carb counts of certain veggies, cheeses, things like that. Useful little tool.

Good luck in induction!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 00:24

BF:
Progress:

i tend to dislike veggies which is a problem, should probably start learning to live with them,

i'll check that site out too
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 00:27

Ah, the dislike of veggies. Pretty common problem. No worries, some people find that they enjoy them more on LC, since there's no restrictions pouring butter, oil, and dressing all over them. Plus your tastes might actually change. At the very least, you are doing well getting some salad in. With no veggies, it's kind of hard to keep things, ahem, moving, if you know what I mean.

I love taco salads too. Have you tried slicing some avocado in there? A half an avocado only has 2 net carbs and lots of good fats. Very tasty.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 00:44

BF:
Progress:

still experimenting with the salad, went out shopping with mom today and we got some stuff so i'm gunna see what i can do with it tommarrow to kick it up a notch

the real problem i am having with it is taco seasoning has sooo much carbs in it. can't say that i've tried avocado, but i may, another question is have i set my goal weight too high? 230 seems like a good weight for me as i am 6 foot 2 and i have alot of muscles (under the fat :-( and a large broad build to me, looking at some charts though say that it will have me still in the sever oveweight catagory for my height? should i aim to get lower?
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 00:53

Stats: 160/143/125 Female 5-6
BF:got/luv/handles
Progress: 49%

No lemonade and no ketchup! For my hamburger patties I use wisterchere (spelling?) and creamed horseradish. You should check that atkins site for foods allowed on induction, because some of those arent, like pork rinds, carrots are deffinatly not allowed. You might want to read the book. On induction I think its best to eat until you are full, for the first few days I ate alot of calories. I think your calorie intake looks fine, but you need to keep on the foods allowed on induction.

Last edited by skibunnie : Sat, Aug-30-03 at 00:55.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 01:11

BF:
Progress:

i thought pork rinds are ok
it's just pork baked in really hot oil

which seems to fit
and the carrots are VERY minimal, it's a salad mix and thus has some bits of carrot in it

ketchup, well, no one is taking my ketchup away!!!!!!!!! (i know i must part with it but it is hard)

i do wonder about the lemonade though
just a bit of it in a large glass of water along with some artificial sweetener, big nono?
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 01:30
Registered Member

Plan: south beach
Stats: 164/164/150 Female 64
BF:164/164/150
Progress: 0%

Hi why not try useing fitday. I only started useing it a week ago and it has saved my bacon as to speak.You can see what you are really eating ang where it is takeing you. I always add things in before I eat them just to see.
Fiona
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 08:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 267/253/180 Female 5'9
BF:WAY too much
Progress: 16%

instead of taco seasoning I use chili powder and garlic powder. ...tastes just as good!!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 09:00

BF:
Progress:

i'll try that chili and garlic powder thing and see how it works out,

and i have started to use fitday now
it's a nice program
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 09:20

Stats: 214/177/140 Female 5'6''
BF:35/28/23
Progress: 50%

Here's a recipe for homemade taco seasoning - just don't include the cornstarch http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1649...-255196,00.html
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 10:59

Stats: 160/143/125 Female 5-6
BF:got/luv/handles
Progress: 49%

No one is taking your ketchup away? With that attitude you are going to fail. Thats how you ended up weighing 300 lbs isnt it? Im being very blunt here because sometimes people need to stop being treated like babies. You either have to replace these foods that are bad for you, or be over weight and unhealthy for the rest of your life. You cant have your cake and eat it too. You are only suppose to eat the foods on the list, trying to cheat in other foods is pointless, you are only cheating yourself. Go read the book and follow it word for word. All of these "little cheats" like carrots and ketchup will sabotage your diet. You need to read everything to make sure it doesnt have sugar, and if you dont know, then dont eat it. I really wish you the best of luck, but I think you really need to work on that attitude. I hope through this way of eating you will attain a healthy perspective towards food. But cant you give up two weeks of your life to follow induction correctly? If you look at the big picture, its not very long, and it might be the greatest things you will ever do for yourself.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 11:09

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcereal
have i set my goal weight too high? 230 seems like a good weight for me as i am 6 foot 2 and i have alot of muscles (under the fat :-( and a large broad build to me, looking at some charts though say that it will have me still in the sever oveweight catagory for my height? should i aim to get lower?

Use the 230 as your goal. When you get there, evaluate how you look and feel. Make a decision at that time to set a new goal or to stay where you are.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 16:39

I wonder why the forceful "No lemonade!" Lemon juice (a few tablespoons a day) is allowed on induction, as is 3 packets of Splenda a day.

Pork rinds are also allowed as they are usually just pork skin (on allowed list under pork) and salt.

Also, little bits of shredded carrot will probably not sabotage an induction. It's better to use fresh lettuce or a salad mix that doesn't include them, but not something to scold about, in my opinion.

Oh, and there are plenty of Splenda sweetened ketchup recipes if you can't part.

#15   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 16:44

One more little beef. Skibunnie, you mention worcestershire sauce... did you realize one tablespoon has about 3g carbs? That's only one carb less than ketchup's count of 4g a tablespoon, according to Fitday.