Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 12:32
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 307/252.5/239 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:????
Progress: 80%
Default Counting Calories???

I was under the impression, not to count calories during INDUCTION, but to count carbs. Isn't calorie counting a different diet? 20 carbs is way different if you start counting calories...????? I know you can't go above 20 carbs....during INDUCTION...whats the scoop? I am asking because one of my buddies in the board bought a digital scale to keep track of CALORIES...now I am wondering! I am sticking to 20 carbs...but its good info to know...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 12:35

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%

lol sorry to have confused you, Grannums.

I think during Induction, your goal is to concentrate on carb counting, instead of calorie counting. Induction is really to detoxify your body and switch from carb burning to fat burning. So I wouldn't worry about carb counting in this phase.

Since I'm not in Induction, I'm a small girl, and I am nearing my goal, I need to watch my calories or else I'm gonna stall or gain weight or not lose fast enough. I try to eat at least 1200 cals though every day though.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 12:42

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granmums
I was under the impression, not to count calories during INDUCTION, but to count carbs. Isn't calorie counting a different diet?
Granmums, people will start to watch calories if they notice things changing. Often we suggest this when it becomes evident people are eating too little, or aren't eating enough carbs. Becoming familiar with LC foods and their carb counts can take a little time, we're so used to counting fat we have no idea how many carbs are in anything when we start out.

If you're doing well, losing, feeling good and you're eating regularly then counting calories is not necessary. Then again, some of us just like to know, you know?

Cheers,
-Nat
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 13:29

Plan: atkins
Stats: 160/143/125 Female 5-6
BF:got/luv/handles
Progress: 49%

For the average person I would say dont count calories. Most people here over eat though, so if you are eating alot I would start counting calories. Alot of people dont lose on atkins because they will eat 3 steaks, and wonder why they arent losing weight.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 13:38

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibunnie
For the average person I would say dont count calories. Most people here over eat though, so if you are eating alot I would start counting calories.
What's interesting is that if someone asked me what I thought was the main reason people would start counting calories is I would say because most people under eat on LC plans. They come in from high carb / restricted calorie dieting and think 'less is better' and that's just not so with LC. Eating too little is a common occurance around these boards. But that's just my take on it.

BTW, I realize you are being flip, skibunnie, but if you're eating 3 steaks and nothing else, then that's your problem - you need the fat with the steaks for LC to work. It's all about the F.A.T. !

-Nat
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 13:39

Stats: 170/132/122 Female 62
BF:23%
Progress: 79%

I agree, where you don't have to count calories on atkins, that doesn't mean you can consume 4000 calories a day and expect to loose weight.
I tend to have a very slow matabolism. Dr. Atkins does recommend in h is book that even t hough calorie counting is not important that a good average is to stay between 10 and 12 x your weight.

Everyone is different and you have to find out what works for you. But I would never never go under 10 x your weight.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 13:54

The beauty of LC'ing is that you can eat as many calories as someone on a low-fat diet, and stay full longer. That's the secret of LC
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 13:55

Stats: 214.9/187/150 Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 43%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbiessen
Everyone is different and you have to find out what works for you. But I would never never go under 10 x your weight.

I have been losing fairly slowly. If I ate 10x my weight in cals I doubt that I would lose at all. Right now I seem to be able to stay around 1500 cals and 20 -25 carbs with out hunger or really thinking about it too much.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 14:01

As badly as I want to lose weight quickly, I don't want to go too far below 1200 cals a day for fear that my body will get used to the lower calorie amount and then when I up it, my weight will also spring up.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 14:11

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by serrelind
The beauty of LC'ing is that you can eat as many calories as someone on a low-fat diet, and stay full longer. That's the secret of LC
Actually you can eat MORE and lose. As much as we like to think restricting calories makes a lot of sence, restricting too much will slow fat burning and consequently loss. Too big a deficit causes stress, too much stress cause elevated cortisol levels, and cortisol puts fat burning on hold.

As for eating more on LC, check this out:

Afraid to eat FAT

Nat
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 17:14
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I was eating around 1000-1200 calories a day, and my weight loss pretty much stopped. I was eating at least 3 good meals a day plus snacks, so it wasn't tha tI was starving myself. I've been working on raising it to around 1300-1400. It jump started my weight loss again

I do have problems still though. I'll eat 6 mini meals a day, and somehow still be under on calories. I don't stuff myself though. One of the things I love about this WOE is after eating out I am full of energy and raring to go, while everyone else is over stuffed and lethargic
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 17:17

LB, I agree with you. I love how this WOE makes me feel too! I feel like I just discovered something that most of the population don't have a clue about hehe.