Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 13:12

Plan: atkins
Stats: 160/143/125 Female 5-6
BF:got/luv/handles
Progress: 49%
Default Going out to dinner, I need help!

Im going out to dinner friday and saturday for my birthday. I want someting besides just meat or a chicken salad. Is thai curry without the rice legal? Anyone have any good ideas for great meals besides a steak.....
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 13:25

Plan: Atkins / OWL
Stats: 260/208/190 Male 71 in
BF:
Progress: 74%

Depends on the curry, and what they put in it.
Usually, the main ingredients in the sauce are coconut milk and curry paste.

If the coconut milk is unsweetened, and the curry is made with favorable vegetables (e.g. no pineapple or such), it would probably be OK. This is a long shot, though.

Atkins.com has this advice on thai food.

H -- who now needs to go eat Thai.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 13:27
The evolution of me

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Where are you going or where are your choices and we will try to help.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 13:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/160/130 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 63%
Maybe you ahould not listen to me - I am a bad influence!!!

Fresh pasta, spaghetti is only about 20 carbs for 100g of fresh. Go to the gym on the day and the day after and you will find that you burn it off if you do as much cardio as you can. So say 30 grams for pasta and sauce sounds good to me. Have a salad for a starter or side so you will not miss any bread.

you could also not worry too much about the veg you eat. sauteed mushrooms or you could have shrimp or fish or any seafood with veg and a sade salad.

Have a wonderful birthday

Jenny
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 13:41

Stats: 160/143/125 Female 5-6
BF:got/luv/handles
Progress: 49%

Im not sure where Im going to go for dinner, Im pretty much open to anything. I was thinking maybe fajitas without the beans, rice, ect. Any other ideas? Thanks for the help you guys
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 18:10

Stats: 210/180/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 46%

So far I haven't had a problem, I even went to a fish and chip place with friends and after checking out the menu, , I had broiled halibut. I also had a wonderful steak with extra steamed veggies at another restaurant. Just about every one has choices of lower carb foods. Relax and enjoy!!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 18:20
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

At mexican the fajitas would be fine. Some places may put a small amount of sugar in the sauce, but not near enough to cause any problems. I was amazed the first time I tried fajitas on this WOE. I had been without sweets for so long the bell peppers tasted extreamly sweet to me. Don't touch the chips of course, but you can heap on the sour cream, guacamole, and salsa

If you go to a steak like place, just ask them to substatute the potato with a side of steamed broccoli and cauliflower. I have only had one place not do this, and that was because they didn't have broccoli cauliflower. Instead they put on green beans for me (get extra butter, everywhere I've been overcooks green beans horridly)

Check out the Atkins web site. He has a huge section on what to order and what not to order in different types of resteraunts.

Remember too that this is a special occasion. Don't go all out and just cheat, you'd probably just end up sick. Do however order LC items and not really obsess and count each item closely. Have a LC dessert waiting for you at home so as to not be tempted by the desserts at the resteraunt. Go ahead and have a mixed drink, just be sure it's with an LC mixer. If it's a place that automatically brings a dessert to your table on birthdays, tell who ever notifies them it's your birthday that you would prefer a free drink or other special, or just let everyone else have the dessert and you stick to a small bite. With all the diabetics out there, it shouldn't be that unusual of a request.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 20:07
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 217/170/155 Female 5/5
BF:
Progress: 76%

What about the Brazilian place posted earlier - 15 kinds of meat! As for the Thai, I make my own with coconut milk (canned), Thai red chili paste, a little chicken stock, get it boiling and throw in some chicken and cashews - YUM! I eat it like a soup! Have a great birthday!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 21:09

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 283/179/150 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 78%

I just wanted to add that I have eaten out at Thai places and gotten curries three times and have not gotten stalled or anything because of it. The curries worked out fine for me!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 09:22

Plan: Atkns/CT Weight&Wellness
Stats: 335/272.5/170 Female 5 ft 3 inches
BF:54/51/35
Progress: 38%

Hi Skibunnie,

Have you forgotten the all sinful STEAMED LOBSTER with drawn butter for your birthday?

And dont forget the shrimp cocktail for an app, or fresh mozz and tomato salad!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!