Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 20:35

Plan: CAD
Stats: 333/319/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default Spouses with no concern of their own weight...

I was hoping that as I started to loose weight and was eating better that my husband would see my success and get some motivation to worry about his own increasing girth. But so far no luck.

He is 6'4" and about 370 pounds. I keep having to buy him new clothes because he is getting too big. I don't want to nag because I know that wont have the right effect. I will love him no matter what but I have to admit that I am finding him less and less attractive to me.

Any tips on how to deal with this or should i just keep worrying about myself and hope he comes around? I have a long way to go myself.

Erica

Last edited by Red Dragon : Sun, Aug-24-03 at 20:36.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 20:59

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 333/199.8/172 Female 5'8"
BF:??/39.0/25
Progress: 83%

I'm not married, but I can relate. I have a 17 yr old daughter that is bigger than me. At first she didn't want to have anything to do with lc. Over the last few weeks, she's starting to see my success and is starting to monitor & cut back on her carbs. She's not quite ready to go as low carb as me, but I have hope. I really do think each person has to decide on their own. If you do the cooking, I would encourage you to try new lc recipes and NOT tell DH they are low carb. Just present them at dinner time as something new to try!

Another thing I do is really search for lower carb foods, and foods with more fiber when I grocery shop. I recently switched from buying potato bread at 11 carbs per slice to a multi grain bread at 9 carbs. I figure she's going to eat bread, so every carb counts. I also refuse to buy regular soda, chips, candy, etc. If my daughter wants to eat that garbage, she'll have to buy it herself.

I hope this helps a bit. Good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 00:46

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 283/179/150 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 78%

My husband is sort of similar. He needs to lose weight also and his family has a history of very early heart problems. his father died of heart attack when he was 33!!! My husband is now 28!

He has such a hard time exercising but I know that is what would help him most. I got him to at least try the 25 minute tae bo tape I was doing this morning and he didn't even complete it, maybe about 10 minutes. I was really worried to see how tired he got how quickly.

He right now is at least doing something though he is trying slimfast. He did low carb with me for a while but he cheated a lot and didn't hardly lose anything so he went back to slimfast.

I try to be enthusiastic about it but other than that and encouragement I don't know what you can do.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 03:15

Plan: low carb
Stats: 370/180/150 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 86%

my husband is a big guy too,and we have been on this new WOE for a month now and i feel like i can just stare at him and watch his belly going down he is losing it that fast,and i am proud of him but....mmmm mmm mmmm i've always LOVED big men!!lol
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 05:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 425/322/240 Female 68 inches
BF:Lots
Progress: 56%

I think you just have to let your husband find his own way in his own time....BUT.....there are some subtle changes you can make at home that may help him. As Diemde said, try good LC recipes that you think he would like. Don't keep the house stocked with high carb/sugar junk. Talk about how great you feel on this WOL and how well you are doing. Talk about people you encounter online who are in a similar position to his. Like, "you know, there's this guy online who is doing just INCREDIBLY. He's lost xxx pounds in only a few months", etc. Sometimes hearing about others with similar circumstances who are doing well, can be motivating.

You might also start going for a walk after dinner (or some other time that would be convenient for you and hubby). Then, after you are established in your routine ask you DH to join you "to keep you company" not b/c he should exercise. Sometimes people will do things to help someone else that they won't do 'just' for their own benefit.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 13:40
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 342/330/230 Male 6' 1"
BF:who knows
Progress: 11%
Smile

Don't know the answer, but I thought I'd share my story. I was not my wife's type, she had always liked tall, thin, long haired guys. I might qualify as tall at 6' 1", but I had short hair and was far from thin. For some reason she fell in love with me anyway. Nine years and eighty pounds later, she still loves me and always told me she would no matter how big I got.

She was probably under weight when we started dating, after four kids she had gone up to 205. She is now down to 150. She lost her weight by just cutting back on certain things. Through all this she never got on me about my weight.

I've tried so many diets over my 33 years, some worked temporarily, but never more than 30 pounds lost. Anyway, my brother and mom started this wol and asked me to try it. I was so desparate, but had no will power to speak of, I told them I'd atleast try it. My wife now tells me she didn't think I'd do it, although she has been my biggest supporter. That was back in April, I've lost 50 pounds since then. I feel so much better, mentally and physically. Both my parents have high blood pressure and my dad has diabetes. I knew I had to do something but just couldn't get going. I really don't believe there was any thing my wife could have said to get me to do it any earlier. I think a person must simply just get sick of being overweight and feeling miserable. I finally did. I guess I would say to just love him and tell him all the time, I'm so thankful my wife showed me how much she loved me through "thick and thin", or atleast thinner.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 16:46
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

I know that my husband (who is not overweight) has been worried about my weight for years because he was afraid it would lead to my premature death. However, he wisely never pressured me to lose weight since he knew the decision would have to come from within me. He always assured me that he loved me and found me sexy no matter what I weighed. I am very grateful for this. I think that if he had pressured me to lose weight, I probably would not have done so but it would have definitely negatively impacted our relationship. I had to figure out what worked for me; no one else could lead me there.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 18:17

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast
Progress: 91%

MIne needs it too Shhh...