Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-03, 17:43

Plan: atkins
Stats: 177/170/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:
Default Can you be in ketosis but NOT be losing weight???

I've been on Atkins for about 4-5 weeks. I lost 7 pounds during the first two weeks, and felt very optimistic. During the past 4-5 weeks, I cannot tell a lie...I did have two "carb" days. But...outiside of those two days, I have been EXCEEDINGLY strict with the carbs, keeping them WELL under 20 grams. Much to my extreme dismay, I have not lost any additional weight, although I am in ketosis(my strip indicated that there were moderate to large amounts present). How can your body be burning fat, yet the scale is not changing? The idea here is to lose weight!!! I'm getting close to losing weight. I'm not saying that there hasn't been a change in the way my clothes fit, etc., but I expected to have lost, at least 10-15 pounds at this point. Does anyone have any answers/advise???

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-03, 18:22

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 198/161/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 70%

Sounds like you might be burning dietary fat. How high are your calories ?
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-03, 18:29
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

The strips don't "know" the difference between body fat being burned and dietary fat being burned.
Can you give us an idea of what you're eating in an average day? (BTW, those "carb" days can set you back three days of fat-burning each) Sometimes others can see a potential problem when we ourselves can't! I've had quite a bit of help from others here, and we DO love to help!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-03, 18:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Besides, some people lose better at higher carb levels. How about following the 'increase by 5 carbs each week' and see how you do?
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-03, 19:17

BF:
Progress:

I don't count the calories, but, generally, I think the calories are pretty low. As follows is a typical day's menu:

Breakfast: 2-3 scrambled eggs/2-3 sausages
Lunch: Hamburger patty/small salad(I don't even always have the salad).
Dinner: 2 hotdogs, roast beef or chicken.
Snack: A box of Slim Jims(2 carbs)

That's pretty much it. The think that I do that is against recommendations, is that I have 1 cup of coffee in the morning and 2 packages of Splenda, but I find it hard to believe that this could be the culprit.

About 4 years ago, I lost about 128 pounds on a low fat diet, but my doctor definitely thinks that I'm sensitive to carbs, which is why I'm trying Atkins. Also, I've regained around 25 pounds and wanted to take them off quickly, but that's not turning out to be the case.

I'm also on birth control pills...I take them continuously because of migraines(so I never get a period). I'm wondering if that could be the culprit, but I can't really just go off of them.

So whadya' think? Is it hopeless? Thanks!!!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-03, 19:32
Fully Caffeinated

To me, the first thing would be adding more vegetables with supper, maybe. I'm amazed at what a difference getting them in can make! A cup of broccoli or something similar,and make SURE to get your salad in...with a fatty dressing.

How much is a "box" of Slim Jims? I like one once in awhile, but the wee little ones are a gram each, by the label on mine. Also, the salt gives me trouble with water weight.

I don't know about the pill, but I really Do know it's hard to be patient with my weight loss! I got so cranky when I kept hearing "Rome wasn't built in a day", but it's true... or in MY case "My arse wasn't built in a day!" so I shouldn't expect it to just go away overnight!

We're rooting for you!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-03, 19:38

BF:
Progress:

The nutrition information on the Slim Jims says 1 serving=1 box and that they only have 2 grams of carbs...really!!! Yes, you're right...they are salty though. I don't know...something's got to give here!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-03, 19:48

Stats: 160/143/125 Female 5-6
BF:got/luv/handles
Progress: 49%

First off, stop eating processed foods! Getting away from that crap is what makes atkins so wonderful. I find that cutting back on calories, increasing fat, and lowering the carbs works for me. That gives your body the message to burn fat. Calories do count, even dr atkins admitts that. How much water are you drinking, that is very very important. Are you exercising? I feel like im pointing out the obvious here. But these are the things that help me lose weight, I just started atkins this month and ive lost 12 lbs, which is alot since Im usually pretty metabolically resistant. Good luck!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-03, 19:50

Plan: NeanderThin, Atkins mix
Stats: 131/127/127 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 100%

It could be that you are not getting enough calories. From what you describe, you don't eat very much and that can stall you as much as gorging yourself. Basically, your body is holding onto everything it can. And unlike a low-fat diet, you should not be starving yourself under any circumstances. If you increase your caloric intake, that might do the trick.

Are you working out now? You may be building muscle mass and still losing fat.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-03, 20:23

BF:
Progress:

Well, how about some suggestions for non-processed foods? I find that I eat the same things over and over, and not much on Atkins really appeals to me. I could use some ideas for some tasty things to eat.

Thanks.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 11:14
Fully Caffeinated

I've found a dizzying array of choices in the recipes forum! My own personal favorites are sugarfree jello and whipped cream. (For that matter....whipped cream on whipped cream..)

It's almost impossible to avoid processed foods (and I'm not a "health-food" person by nature..heh heh) I like devilled eggs, olives, pork rinds (an aquired taste!)for those salty snacks (and to me, Slim Jims are good ooccasionally as well... too many low-fat years of not getting to eat them!

Celery and peanut butter or cream cheese, turkey with mustard and mayo rolled in a lettuce leaf. Tuna salad, cold roast beef, hard boiled eggs...

I love a good hot dog myself, but have found few brands without added sugar or fillers. The Schwan's old fashioned weiners are good (and the delivery man is CUTE!) They have 0 carbs. I don't know if you get Schwans in your area, but they have a few good choices (if you can overlook the ice cream...<sigh>)

I find the more fat I get in my diet, the longer I'm satisfied. I've started using coconut oil, and while I'm not getting the "weight loss miracle" the advertising promises, I've found a few tasty ways to get more fat in my diet, and have started losing again FINALLY...

Hang in there!
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 12:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/240/155 Female 5'7''
BF:
Progress: 11%

Don't be too discouraged. I have heard that it is not very common for the body to lose wieght and inches at the same time. It's usually a little of one then a little of the other. You said that you feel your clothes are a bit looser, right! For me it is the opposite, I've dropped ten pounds, but I can't see it yet. Just DO NOT QUIT. There is great advice in the other replies too!!
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 14:36

BF:
Progress:

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I will definitely try to expand my "food" horizons. And I hope that I'll start losing weight in the process!
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 18:14

Plan: low cal,less pro. atkins
Stats: 138/130/118 Female 179 centimeters
BF:
Progress: 40%

potatofree, what do you mean, the strips don't know the difference between dietary fat and body fat? see I've had the same problem. it's very strange really. I go all the way up to heavy on the ketosis strips. people at the gym seem to think I look leaner. I 'feel' thiner. But yet, the scale doesn't appear to have showed a change the past week. the ketosis strips are new for me so I don't know that much about them as I should.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 18:32

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsve
potatofree, what do you mean, the strips don't know the difference between dietary fat and body fat?
The strips measure the presence of Ketone Bodies. If you've eaten a fatty meal and you test you'll get a high reading but it could be from the ketones that were created when the dietary fat was broken down. The strips do not differentiate between the two - they are not a very good tool for gauging fat burning because of this.

-Nat