Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-03, 10:12

Plan: None
Stats: 235/180/135 Male 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 55%
Default can sugar level drop too low even off of medication?

i've been diagnosed with type ii diabetes for about two months now... i was on avandia for about 5 weeks (first week and a half or so i was taking two tablets (4mg) day until sugar dropped to levels where i could take 1 tablet a day)

the last two and a half weeks or so i've totally been off medication because sugars were dropping too low.. doctor said i should go back on them only if i go past a 120 level...

but for the past two and a half weeks my fasting levels have been between low 90s to high 90s...

yesterday was at mid 80s... 86

but today.. today it was at 65...

now, i know this might have been answered before but i get scared of it dropping too low... and i thought this could only happen on the avandia?

is there any need for concern? i mean i ate breakfast as soon as i took my sugar but should i be worried at all that my sugar might get too low?

thanks guys..
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-03, 11:46

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi Jerome!

Yes, it is certainly possible for a person's blood sugar to drop too low even if they aren't taking medication as you just recently discovered. At least it's possible for it to drop low enough for you to start feeling hypoglycemic or uncomfortable. It would be extremely rare for a person who is not taking medication to have their blood sugar drop low enough to put them in physical danger.
Since your blood sugars were normal yesterday and this morning were too low, a question that you need to ask yourself is what is the difference between yesterday and today? What did you eat (or not eat) last night that would have caused a low reading this morning? How long was it since you had last eaten and what did that last meal consist of?
I have had my blood sugar drop into the 60's without medication, but usually when that happens, it has been too long since I last ate or I have been too actively physically with not enough food at my last meal or a combination of the two.
I've also had it happen when I've had a high carb cheat one day and then went back to low carb the next. This is just a guess, but I think my body was producing insulin the next day thinking that it was going to get the same amount of carbs it did the day before and "overshot" on the insulin production causing me to go hypo. Sort of an "aha! I remember how much sugar I got at that last meal, so I'm going to beat you to the punch and produce extra insulin this time around to keep the blood sugar more stable this time". Of course, I could be completely wrong about that, but it's one possible explanation for what happened in my case.
Just some things to consider...
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-03, 13:18

Plan: None
Stats: 235/180/135 Male 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 55%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa N
Hi Jerome!

Yes, it is certainly possible for a person's blood sugar to drop too low even if they aren't taking medication as you just recently discovered. At least it's possible for it to drop low enough for you to start feeling hypoglycemic or uncomfortable. It would be extremely rare for a person who is not taking medication to have their blood sugar drop low enough to put them in physical danger.
Since your blood sugars were normal yesterday and this morning were too low, a question that you need to ask yourself is what is the difference between yesterday and today? What did you eat (or not eat) last night that would have caused a low reading this morning? How long was it since you had last eaten and what did that last meal consist of?
I have had my blood sugar drop into the 60's without medication, but usually when that happens, it has been too long since I last ate or I have been too actively physically with not enough food at my last meal or a combination of the two.
I've also had it happen when I've had a high carb cheat one day and then went back to low carb the next. This is just a guess, but I think my body was producing insulin the next day thinking that it was going to get the same amount of carbs it did the day before and "overshot" on the insulin production causing me to go hypo. Sort of an "aha! I remember how much sugar I got at that last meal, so I'm going to beat you to the punch and produce extra insulin this time around to keep the blood sugar more stable this time". Of course, I could be completely wrong about that, but it's one possible explanation for what happened in my case.
Just some things to consider...

Hey Lisa,

Thanks for the great info. That most certainly makes sense... I went for a walk/jog last night and probably didn't eat enough after coming home... had a six hour sleep so it wasn't like I slept for 12 hrs or anything

Anyway, thanks for the advice, that 'high carb' thing makes sense too, kind of like overcompensating for my body...

Will keep things in check, keep this place informed too

Thanks again,
Jerome