Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 11:58
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 194/184.5/147 Female 5 FEET 6 INCHES
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default A Christmas challenge ??

Anybody fancy getting a buddy to have a go at losing some of these unwanted pounds for Christmas?

I was hoping to lose maybe 25 pounds before then!!! Is this a realistic goal? Let me know, I would appreciate some advice and support....
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 09:24
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 216/194/145 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 31%
Thumbs up I'm game

I think 25 lbs is very realistic! I've been averaging 2 lbs/week. At that I'm hoping to be about 35 pounds lighter by Christmas. I'd probably drop more if I exercised more often. I've been trying to work in Pilates once/week and walk 1-2/week. My goal is to step both those up or add weights in the next month or so. I'll do the Christmas challenge with you!

Teresa
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 18:52
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins... kind of
Stats: 182/158/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 46%

I haven't lost but 2 pounds in the last month~ I'm not at all sure what is realistic to loose by Christmas. I'm not sure I'd bet on 10 pounds... but I keep telling myself I'm ready for a BIG woosh.

I guess 10 pounds sounds good. I have 30 + left to lose.
Need lots of inspiration!!

Nan
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 19:51
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceChic
I haven't lost but 2 pounds in the last month~ I'm not at all sure what is realistic to loose by Christmas. I'm not sure I'd bet on 10 pounds... but I keep telling myself I'm ready for a BIG woosh.

I guess 10 pounds sounds good. I have 30 + left to lose.
Need lots of inspiration!!

Nan

Ice Chic,

I think the closer you get to your goal weight the slower it comes off. Keep plugging away! I hate plateaus too. At least you're still seeing some progress. I look at it this way 1 pound a week is 52 pounds in a year. Some weeks are more, some are less. Since I have 70# to lose it's coming off faster in the beginning. I'd be happy with 50# though. I plan on making low carbing a lifestyle change because I lost 4 years ago and gained back. There's so much more products and resources now.

Teresa
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 19:55
Registered Member

BF:

Ice Chic,

I see you're from Iowa. what area? I grew up in McGregor (up in the NE corner) along the WI border. Now I'm a cheesehead but I'll always be an Iowa girl at heart.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-03, 08:33
Registered Member

BF:

Hey Campion! I'm in Des Moines.
Going to try and do some cooking this weekend and get things stocked up. I work at school so just started back this week. Need to get my life organized.

Nan
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-03, 08:53
Medival Princess

Plan: curves
Stats: 298/214/190 Female 6 ft or 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

I am game for loosing at least 25 lbs by dec 25th
i have two weeks of vacation in oct but i still think i can do it :P

Crysania
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-03, 13:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 238/213.5/154 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 29%
Thumbs up

Hi! May I join your challenge? I have just started Atkins and am doing well. I hope it's going to be a WOL. We (husband, me and 2 boys) are visiting our very close friends in Virginia for Christmas and they are going to take us skiing. I've never done it before and am sure it will be twice as hard when I'm so overweight. I want them to meet me at the airport and notice a slimmer me! I'd like to think I could lose 25 more pounds by then. So, let's go for it!

By the way, I live in London, England. We've had some adverse statements about low-carb diets here on the media, but I'm standing my ground.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 12:19
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 194/184.5/147 Female 5 FEET 6 INCHES
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default Christmas challenge - Up and running !!!!

I'm so glad that I have had some replies to this thread. Sorry I haven't been back since my first one, but I have been away for the weekend. I still managed to stick to my WOE over the weekend though and feel great. My only downfall was I had a few "drams" (drinks) on Friday night and boy did I feel ill on Saturday. I have never had a hangover like it before and I only had maybe five vodka and diet coke. That will definitely teach me a lesson. I have been really good over the rest of the weekend though. My first mini-goal is to lose a stone, but I am really struggling. I feel as if I am doing it right, but I have PCOS and REALLY struggle with any diet. I know that I need to start some exercise and that will be my goal this week, to try and go to the gym at least once and have a long walk another day (I always seem to find an excuse though).

So looks like this challenge is up and running ... let me know how you all get on. I'll be back ......... Joyce

Last edited by EWENJ : Sun, Aug-24-03 at 12:20.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 20:27
Registered Member

BF:
Cool Slowly losing...

I lost a pound or two. I'm so fussy I hate to count it until it actually stays off a couple of days. But it's looking good. Of course 'that time of the month' is almost gone so that might be helping.
I've had a good day. Snuck a few bites of apple sauce and some strawberries, but not too bad.

hugs and good luck!
Nanette
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 20:58
Living LaVita LoCarb

Plan: 40% 40% 20%
Stats: 292/242/160 Female 64 inches
BF:Next mini goal 225
Progress: 38%

I was going in to see if anyone wanted to start a Christmas challenge...but it's already here. Christmas is 4 months away...
I think 25 pounds is a great goal. That's about 6-7 pounds a month.

Can a California girl like me join. This is my 2nd attempt at Atkins, I've been on it one week so far. I let people talk me out of it in about February...you know Doc's, nutritionists etc. Doing it there way, I was hungry all the time, and before I knew it I slipped back into my old habits. I weigh in every Tuesday night at a weight loss group (About 5 in our group have fessed up to low carbing, and they are the 5 that have been loosing weigh steadily) So, I'm back at it and feeling great after the first week.

I weighed 278.75 last Tuesday, I'm using that as my starting weight even though I weighed 9 pounds heavier the week before, but I was retaining a lot of water then. So now you've help me set a 1st goal, ohhh, that would get me close to 250!!!! That's exciting. I'm going to stick with this and make the challenge!!!! That would feel so good to start the new year out at or below 250.

Thanks for the challenge.

Cheryl
I'm so excited
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 21:19
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl R
I weigh in every Tuesday night at a weight loss group (About 5 in our group have fessed up to low carbing, and they are the 5 that have been loosing weigh steadily) So, I'm back at it and feeling great after the first week.

Cheryl,

I too weigh myself on Tuesdays. I don't have a scale so I weigh myself at my Mom's on Tuesday nights because we get together for a Bible study. I feel great too. I've been back on LC for 19 days and am sticking to it pretty well. I've lost 8-10 pounds already! I'm not sure exactly what my start weight was either but I went by my last weight at the dr. I'm sure the dr.'s scale is a couple pounds heavier than my Mom's but now that I'm weighing on hers every week I can track pretty well. Do you want to encourage each other on Tuesdays?

Teresa
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 21:30
Living LaVita LoCarb

Plan: 40% 40% 20%
Stats: 292/242/160 Female 64 inches
BF:Next mini goal 225
Progress: 38%

You bet!!!
My home scale is inacurrate, it never weighs me the same if I step on it 2 times in 3 minutes.
The weight group I go to is at night, but I just use that as my official weights. I forgot to take my blood pressure meds for 2 days in a row at my weigh in on 12th, so I had a gain of 5 pounds, the next week I had a loss of 9 pounds, and that was on my 3rd day of Atkins.
One lady at our meeting reached her goal, and as we had a meeting to celebrate her goal, her sister came and read her success story. That's when I found out she was doing Atkins, then a few others fessed up. Some of the older members of our group were in it when it was a no-no to do anything but the exchange diet. Now the rules have changed and we are incouraged to do what ever our health care provider thinks is good for us (Including those who have decided to have surgery).
I love my group, because the sole purpose is to give each other support. I thrive on support, and my husband and daughter support any effort I make for weight loss, wether I fail or succeed, they just like seeing me succeed.
OK...I talk too much.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 22:24
Medival Princess

Plan: curves
Stats: 298/214/190 Female 6 ft or 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

i have gotten 3 pounds already of my 25 :P I should probably up my goal but with a two week vacation to texas thrown in around halloween, I guess I will let in stay just in case

not that I am complaining mind, but the weight has been melting off lately! and i am not even on induction anymore (and even have cheated a few times) 36lbs since I started in june

maybe i should hush before the stall deamon hears me lol

Cheryl, i have two friends with that name, my best friend's is spelled with an S though

Crysania
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 23:33
ArtificiallyFlavored

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/252/200 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 13%

I am all for joining in, I just hit the under 200 mark, 175 sounds like a good goal for Christmas.

I'll have to add it to my list.